See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

We found this place with the help of staff at the Mitchell welcome center. The ad in the brochure was all nice, shiney, professional looking...however this place was not. First ....we pulled in about 7pm, to a dusty, old motel. Only 3 cars in lot the parking lot. Went inside and it went down hill from there...i asked about breakfast....cereal and toast only. Then i asked for my Choice privilage points.....her computer was down, which is why she gave me a "good deal". Went to our room, opened the door and beds were unmade, i could see this as my husband opened the door, i wouldn't step foot in. Went back to front desk....ask the man when the last time someone,stayed in that room..."i don't know, something wrong?" It was late and we were tired. Took another room, appeared clean...but still not to my standards...we slept with chairs and luggage against the doors, rose early and high tailed it out of there. BTW.....Choice hotels doesn't even list this place as part of there chain.

This is what has made me a reader of Trip Advisor! I depend on it in my travels, now.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bama_travel_nana
Reviewed 27 October 2016

Checked in on Sunday, 10/23. Our first mistake was leaving Rapid City with the intention of driving for a couple more hours, then finding something to eat and a place to spend the night. We had been religiously checking Trip Advisor before any hotel, but couldn't get internet service at the restaurant, so we gambled and stopped anyway. Chose this place because of the Choice Privileges points (same reason as another reviewer). The desk clerk (maybe the owner?) was an older man, very rude. I guess you can charge $70/night for a place like this when there's nothing else for miles! (We traveled for 2 1/2 weeks, and our average hotel cost was way less than that, including several nights at Rodeways and Econo-Lodges!) When asked about a wi-fi password he said, "You just get on it." We got to the room, and the door kind of stuck--we had to put some shoulder into it to get it open. I guess the bad smell was holding it shut? Because it smelled bad...musty at best, but my boyfriend swears it was urine. Then we tried to hit the wi-fi, and no network appeared on any of our devices. We started to plug in to charge them, and that's when we noticed that none of the outlets were grounded--they were all two-prong. I have 19 years in emergency services, so I looked behind the TV set. There was one outlet; an extender was plugged into the top and an extension cord in the bottom. That one outlet was handling the TV, cable box, fridge, and microwave!! When I glanced around and realized there are no sprinklers, we checked the smoke detector. We were surprised that it had batteries in it, but not surprised when we hit the test button and found it didn't work. We decided to leave, so we packed back up and went to the office. It had only been 15 minutes or so, and the manager/owner/ whatever lives on site, but he had locked the door and would not come out. After banging on the door for a good ten minutes, we finally left the key cards in the drop box and are cancelling the credit card charge. We drove another hour or so until we got to Murdo and paid the same amount for a much nicer room, which had a hot tub, didn't smell, plus the hotel staff was way nicer. I am also filing a complaint with Choice Hotels--this place is damaging their good reputation!

Room Tip: Just don't
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 911LadyK
Reviewed 14 September 2016

So why did we stay here? well, simply because i was using Choice hotels. Location is okay, but not the most convenient, trashy eyesore behind restaurant which was the viewshed of all the rooms. Lobby was dirty, breakfast table was dirty and no one to wipe it off between customers. Our toilet plugged (we didn't even do it!) and the front desk fellow couldn't find a plunger and there is no public toilet. This was not very handy. spider webs, dust, dirt everywhere. However, the bed linens seemed clean and there was excellent water pressure with plentiful hot water. The room itself (with the exception of toilet) was acceptable, but i cannot abide filth. This is only the second bad review i've ever written, but cannot recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank tauna64
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

This is by far the dirtiest hotel I've very seen I didn't want to touch anything. It smelled like sewage in the room that had dirty sheets and white pillow cases that turned a brown color from age/dirt. I almost went outside in the middle of the night to sleep in my car in the parking lot but strange people were hanging out in the parking lot to the point I felt uncomfortable leaving my room. As soon as the sun came up, we were gone! Don't stay here head to Wall, SD where the hotel/motel options are better, cleaner, and cheaper.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank 0506bred
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

This place is very tired. There are happy photos in the lobby of when the filming crew of a movie stayed at the property. That was in the 80's. The place looks like it hasn't been renovated since.

Pluses, the room was huge, and had 3 beds and could sleep 5. Toilet and bath were separate from the sink, so more then one person could use the bathroom at the same time.

Minuses, it's old. A/C is in the bathroom area, which means the room really didn't cool off. Breakfast was very sorry, and no one cleaned up after the person before us, so the it was very unpleasant.

If you can stay elsewhere, you should.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family