New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sylvan Rocks Climbing School

Sylvan Rocks Climbing School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Don't let you Black Hills vacation be boring. Go rock climbing with us! Adventures for ages 5+(with a participating adult). No experience needed. All rock climbing gear is supplied. Join us at Custer State Park, South Dakota. Call for a reservation and we will meet you at Sylvan Lake for your guided rock climbing tour. Locations at Mount Rushmore and Devils Tower, WY for more experienced climbers. Please reserve as far in advance as possible so that we can best plan to serve you.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I participated in the beginner course and loved it! We had climbed in indoor climbing gyms previously, but this was our first experience rock climbing outdoors. We were exciting going into it, but after we were done, we were surprised at how much we loved it and couldn’t stop talking about it. It definitely added to our enthusiasm for climbing and we cannot wait to get out and do it again.

The morning we climbed, we were among about ten people in the group with three instructors. Other than us, there were two young boys with their father, and a family with ages ranging from an eight year old boy to a teenage girl to adult parents. The instructors were great about helping people of all ages and abilities. Since there were several instructors, they were able divide up to give some more personal attention to each grouping of participants.

I’d like to give a special shout out to Cheyenne. He was encouraging, a great teacher, and patient with varying ability levels. Since my husband and I were experienced in belaying one another, he pointed out some more challenging routes for us to try and even spent some extra time letting us climb a separate rock wall. He also taught us how to coil up the ropes, and gave some pointers on how to make the best clean knots. Cheyenne was awesome.

I would definitely recommend Sylvan Rocks Climbing School to others.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank viajerosivda

Peoria, Illinois
“Rock Stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

An absolutely fantastic time! A buddy and I were visiting Custer State Park and we hooked up with Sylvan Rocks for a day of climbing. My only previous climbing experience was in the gym but Daryl took the time to explain everything, get me comfortable and off we went. It was definitely challenging, very exciting, and an absolute blast. Daryl ensured that safety was of the utmost priority but also made sure the fun factor was dialed all the way up. I would recommend them to everyone and look forward to climbing with them again next time I am out! A+++++++

Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

My friend and I went on the Discovery Climbing trip a few weeks ago and loved it!! We were both a little nervous to start, but our guide Chase, was fantastic.

He was great at teaching us how to harness and tie our ropes ourselves, and was very encouraging and fun. Highly recommended!

Carbondale, il
5 attraction reviews
“Great Place to Learn how to Rock Climb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Had never rock climbed before, but have always wanted to. The Black Hills and their many spires seemed a great place to learn. My guide Chris was very knowledgeable and focused on safety. Felt very comfortable and Chris had confidence enough in me to climb some big walls. What a great time. Would highly recommend.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Amazing experience for climbers of all levels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

We were on our honeymoon and had an excellent time rock climbing. Neither of us had ever been before and expected very introductory hills and basics. However, we were very impressed at the rocks we were climbing by the end of the 4-hour day. And the scenery was beautiful. It was an amazing time and we definitely want to return to do it again!

Visited August 2011