“Bedbugs and Banging! Stay elsewhere”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham North Charleston SC
Ranked #45 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My wife and I were awakened at 12:30 by banging on our door and the sound of a key card being put in the lock. We called out several times and dialed the front desk to report someone trying to enter the room. The clerk told us it was a security guard and our room had been flagged as dirty in their system. The clerk called off the guard.

My wife and I struggled to understand why a guard was sent to a "dirty" room. The room seemed as if it were serviced and there were no further knocks, so we went back to bed. I was awakened in the morning by my wife, who was asking about little red bugs in the bed.

Bed bugs! I was bitten and fresh blood stains were on the sheets. There were numerous older stains on the sheets as well. We took photos, caught some bugs in a zip lock and headed to the lobby after carefully showering.

The morning clerk was sympathetic but said we would have to speak to the manager. The number for the manager was a recording. I spent the next two weeks contacting Marriott trying to get an explanation for the dirty room being rented to us and a refund of my money. All I got from the local manager was an apology for the "less-than-satifactory" stay, the promise that pest control was being notified and a coupon for another stay--at the same hotel! Marriott corporate did nothing but foreward my concerns. Charleston Board of Health was concerned when I contacted them but had no authority to act.

I finally contacted Priceline, who booked the room for me, and they got my money back a few days later. I will never stay at this hotel again and my opinion of Marriott corporate has been greatly reduced.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christopher_appel

Reviewed 9 July 2011

While I realize that this hotel is older I have been totally relaxed. I came for an event at the Naval Weapons Station and it was in the perfect spot.
The Staff: on check in were super friendly and quite helpful. She even called to make sure the room met my needs.
The breakfast ladies were running around like busy worker bees to make certain every one had enough food no one was guarding the amount of food you got as one reviewer stated.
The room itself was perfect and clean. The hotel is not as new as other hotels available but is not the dump as others described in their posts which had me worried about this stay. If you happen to get placed near the office then the parking is horrible, not sure what the situation is on the back side.
While there the fire alarm kept going off, it was ok on Friday because I was wide awake , it sucked when it went off Saturday morning over and over and the staff had to physically check each room prior to the fire dept arriving. That was the only inconvenience of the trip. Since it has rained the entire trip it was pretty nice having a room with a nice new flat screen with lots of channels and free Internet. I will be back to Charleston in a couple of weeks so I will try to see more of the city , as long as it's not raining.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Early morning breakfast was class one, close to most shopping and the concert center. Easy to get to the airport, highway. Touring Charleston was wonderful and the history was great. The new bridge and the park they have build is wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The first things we noticed were the cigarette butts all over the ground. They suggested two things, which our visit confirmed: 1. Many of the guests here are the sort of people who throw their cigarettes on the ground; and 2. The management doesn’t bother to clean up the mess. The former became a problem for us because some of our neighbors liked to party into the night on the balconies and picnic tables, with music playing and small children running around outdoors screaming. This was after 1 AM. The latter was evident in many ways, like the exercise room, which had some good equipment, but was not usable for much of the day because they left the thermostat set so high, it must have been close to 80 degrees.
The facility itself is worn, in need of paint and better mattresses. Parking is inadequate. We stayed here because the rates were cheaper than those of comparable hotels a few exits closer to Charleston, where we’ve stayed in the past. But we won’t be making that mistake again.
This is a facility in need of management.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack_3B
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel does not live up to the 3 star rating Priceline gave it. I realize that by using Priceline , it's a gamble. Well I gambled and I lost BIG TIME. This place is a dump. It like low-income government funded housing. Very, very disappointed. Probably would not have stayed had I not been locked into it by using Priceline. Lesson learned!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business