Extended Stay America - Charleston - North Charleston
Ranked #49 of 60 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 29 March 2016

Never staying at an "extended stay" hotel before, didn't quite know what to expect.
So, when I discovered there was no ice, no cleaning, no business center, no dishware.., needless to say I was a little caught off guard. Well, to be honest, that's not exactly true. Let me explain. There was ice in an ice tray in the fridge, but no ice machine on the premises. The rooms did receive cleaning, but only after 7 days. There was no business center, but you did get wifi in the rooms. There was dishware available, but you had to go to the front desk to get it. I understand there was a "continental breakfast", but we never bothered with it.

All that being said, the front desk personnel were pleasant and helpful. They were quick to assign us a different room when we discovered our non-smoking room had apparently been occupied by a smoker. For our two night stay, for the most part, our room was fine. Although I would suggest the cleaning people move the chair when vacuuming to get the previous visitors food crumbs etc found there.

Room Tip: All first floor rooms are non smoking
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charleston - North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I was disheartened to read that we were unable to exceed your expectations. Please accept our apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have coached our housekeeping staff and will make sure we are thoroughly inspecting rooms prior to guest arrivals. Still, I am pleased to read that our staff provided you with great customer service and that you had a satisfactory stay overall. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at nca2@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 28 March 2016

Run away from this hotel! We were giving a room that smelled like an ash trash, kitchenette was moldy/rusty, and the room overall was filthy. Our troubles didn't end with just the room, a guest two doors down asked us for money to pay his room and when we declined to help he got upset. A group of suspicious men were conducting a sale of some sort in the parking lot - lastly a group of men came out drinking beer that were friends with our angry neighbor and came out to try to talk to us yet again about giving money to this man .... All of this happened within a 30 minute time frame. Needless to say we picked up our belongings and stayed at the aloft 100 times better and safer. BE CAREFUL IF YOU STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michelle C

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The situation you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Please know that guest safety is our first priority, and I will be taking steps to ensure that each guest has a comfortable stay. Additionally, I will be retraining our housekeeping staff and will make sure we are thoroughly inspecting rooms prior to guest arrivals. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at nca2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

First thing I had to do was ask to get my bedding changed. It was made up nicely but my pillow cases were not crisp. Almost as if someone had slept in it the night before with face wrinkles all over it/ them. I wasn't taking any chances. Shower probably could have used some Drano to help drain better. Other than that it was quiet and did the trick for 5 days. Not my number 1 pick for my next stay in Charleston. Enjoy!!!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Hector A
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charleston - North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2016

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies that your room was not to our company’s high standards. To prevent this from happening again, we have coached our laundry and housekeeping staff to ensure that each guest has a comfortable stay. I will also have our maintenance engineer inspect your room to make sure that everything is functioning properly. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Very poor shape, old and warn, we didn't find the front desk clerk friendly. Our last time staying there for sure.
The bedding was clean, that's about all I can say positive about our stay.
The breakfast was just okay.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charleston - North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have addressed these issues with our staff to make sure we are implementing preventative maintenance procedures as well as providing each guest with professional customer service. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at NCA2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

Booked 1 night through Priceline for a great price on a Friday night. Arrived and they asked for only my last name, no driver's license nor credit card. Thought that was a little unusual. Was in and out of the tiny, dingy lobby within 1 minute with my keys to my room on the second floor.

Walked in to the "1 queen" bedroom with kitchenette, and was pleasantly surprised. It was a whole lot nicer than I expected at my first impression. After throwing my bags down, I inspected the room closer, only to find a disgustingly stained kitchen counter with several ANTS crawling across it. I didn't plan on cooking, so I just killed the ants only to find more the next morning. I entered the bathroom, to find a housekeepers' blue cleaning rag sprawled onto the floor next to toilet. The rusted sink's stopper was broken, I had to remove it to make the water drain.
One lightbulb was out in the double lamps next to the bed.
The carpet was very dirty, I'd advise others to not walk barefoot. My common mistake.
The queen bed was quite firm, with horrible pillows. One thin, scratchy sheet, and one scratchy, unwashed, unwarm, stained top blanket. I don't mind, as long as there's no lumps or squeakiness.
Shortly after falling asleep, a familiar motel problem awoke me.. Crawling/itching feeling on my skin. I immediately knew there was bed bugs. I never saw them this trip, but I've stayed in enough motels to recognize their presence.
The breakfast is very limited. Granola bars, instant grits, fresh fruit, coffee. I didn't bother, as this property is convenient to many fast food and coffee shops.
I wouldn't ever stay here again, nor do I recommend, mainly due to the passive, unhelpful attitude of all of the front desk employees I encountered.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Singleton80
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Charleston - North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2016

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the room conditions you experienced. To prevent this from happening again, we are proactively working to resolve this issue both onsite and with a professional service company. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at NCA2@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.