All reviews quiet neighborhood no elevator mini fridge and microwave beautiful pool room was clean ocean front older hotel labor day weekend coffee maker two queen beds third floor house keeping rates sink pets myrtle broadway
Reviewed 10 October 2015

We made a reservation with the General Manager of the Mermaid and he seemed very friendly and welcoming. However, upon arrival, we were told that the reservation did not exist by the front desk attendant working that evening. We called our credit card company in front of them and placed them on speaker so that the attendant could hear that the card had been charged/authorized. The time stamp and complete information was given as well. The attendant simply said "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" and we were left to find other lodging.

The next day, we called the General Manager with whom we had initially made the reservation, and he accused us of canceling the reservation, because he could not find it anywhere in the system. He called us "liars" regarding our discussion with the front desk attendant. He also accused us of cursing at him, but we didn't (nor would we ever) use any foul language at all. It was the most bizarre situation and a major red flag to anyone wanting to do business here. I can say that we had been wanting to stay at the Mermaid for over a year due to its boutique nature and proximity. I can't say how disappointed and shocked that we are from the treatment that we received upon arrival and during the follow up call. We had hoped to give the Mermaid a second chance, but after speaking with the General Manger, I felt compelled to warn anyone wanting to stay here.

Date of stay: October 2015
2  Thank Kenneth A
Donald B, General Manager at The Mermaid Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write about your incident with me at the Mermaid Inn. Your perception of what happened that day is totally different of my recollection. And since we record all our incoming calls to our front desk I immediately reviewed what transpired with our encounter, and i must say what actually happened differs from your remarks. i know that when someone has harsh feeling toward someone its possible that their memory of what actually happened can be skewed. I am sorry that your reservation was not found ! I am sorry that you chose to not stay with us when a room was offered to you. Our reservations do not require advance payment so it is not possible that we charged your card prior to your arrival. And I never swore at you or treated you discourteously. I sincerely hope that you decide to give us a try on your next visit to Myrtle Beach and let us reaffirm to you that all our guests are important to us and that we treat everyone with respect and professionalism.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We loved our stay at the Mermaid Inn with our two dogs. It was $20 a night pet fee per pet. We stayed in room 109 for 3 nights/4 days in September, 2015. I looked at all of the pet friendly places in Myrtle Beach before deciding on this one. I knew that this was an old motel that had been updated, so keep in mind that I went in with reasonable expectations (and thought that I might actually prefer that as long as the room was clean).

PROS:
-They allow dogs!!!
-Steps to the beach.
-Clean room with fresh paint (I was hesitant about staying in a dog friendly establishment despite having dogs myself as I like CLEAN).
-Clean bathroom and shower.
-Hot water.
-Clean and fresh good quality linens (4 towels for two people and replaced whenever they were used).
-All dog friendly rooms are on the first floor.
-Friendly front desk and cleaning staff.
-Quiet end of Myrtle Beach right before you get to North Myrtle Beach.
-Close enough to drive to anywhere in Myrtle Beach.
-On site, free parking for guests.
-Extremely clean and small outdoor pool. Cold due to the weather but clean!
-Coffee maker, microwave, small fridge, and small bar sink in room.
-Firm, reasonably comfortable bed.
-No reused comforters, just easily washed blankets covered on both sides with clean white sheets.
-Tile floor....no yucky carpet.
-Small homey motel feel.
-Fresh paint.
-Nice area to walk dogs on sidewalk right outside of the hotel.
-Furniture appeared in good condition and was clean. Cabinet that the bar sink was essentially new.
-The pictures on the website were what our actual room looked like so no surprises there. This was definitely a plus.

CONS (provided for perspective, but I really felt that it was a perfect stay):
-It is a small homey motel that has been cleaned up/renovated a lot but it is still dated (however, I think this adds to the charm, personally).
-The pet fee was per pet, per night.
-There is only one mirror (in the bathroom). It would be nice to have one over the bar sink or by the tv so that it could be used while the bathroom/shower was in use.
-The wireless (although free) was not on a secure network and was spotty at best. Who wants to be on the wireless when you are at the beach however.... Honestly, this was my biggest con.
-A few dogs sporadically barking (unfortunately including mine on a couple of brief occasions). Nothing excessive however and not significantly disturbing.
-Close to the road (but also close to the beach).
-Not within easy walking distance to restaurants but that made it less hectic than the other areas we visited (and thus was a plus for me).
-Window/wall (front of room only) was huge and had a nice very dark curtain to cover it. When curtain was open you looked right into the parking lot and everyone else could look in.

Yes, I would happily stay there again, and I hope to! This seems like it could be a best kept secret of Myrtle Beach and makes me hesitant to actually want to write a positive review. Our dogs had a wonderful time, and it is wonderful to find a place that caters to dog owners without making us lessen our standards in terms of cleanliness, etc. We saw at least 10 other couples staying there with dogs and all seemed to be having a marvelous time.

Room tip: All dog friendly rooms are on the 1st floor. Photos on website are accurate!
1  Thank 476beth
Reviewed 26 September 2015 via mobile

Hotel staff were amazing! So friendly and helpful. The room was bright and comfortable. Just a few steps from the beach and a short drive from Broadway at the Beach. The bathroom could use a little updating, but I still give this great inn an A+!
I will define let be back!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2015

People here were very amiable from the main desk on check-in to the check-out. The room was very nice, the fridge great as well as the other amenities. I rate it as very good. The rooms were clean, the attendants very nice and the close proximity to the beach was excellent.

Room tip: The first floor was quiet both nights.
Reviewed 21 September 2015

I booked this hotel through a discount website from the airport before leaving on our trip. When we landed in Atlanta for our layover, I was notified via phone from the discount website that my reservation could not be honored because the website had made a mistake and the hotel was sold out. I called the hotel directly to make sure what I was being told was true, and Zach answered the phone. He was incredibly apologetic and showed great empathy for the situation, while kindly explaining that it was the website's mistake (without making it seem like he was placing the blame on them unfairly). Zach was kind to wish me well on my trip and again displayed great customer service and empathy for the scenario I found myself in. After getting things sorted out with the website and making reservations at a different hotel, we boarded our plane to arrive in Myrtle Beach.

Two days into our trip, I went online to my bank's website and found that I was charged the full amount of the original reservation that I was told could not be honored at The Mermaid Inn due to them being sold out. I called the hotel again, this time speaking with Jamila. Although my tone of voice and words were not the most pleasant (finding out that a couple hundred dollars is 'on hold' while on vacation isn't a fun realization) Jamila kept her calm and never allowed her attitude or responses to mimic my less than kind side of the conversation. She was polite and explained that I was charged as a 'no show' guest, but then went on to ask for my side of the story. After explaining, in detail, the scenario I found myself in a few days prior, she said she would reverse the charges for the 'no show' fee.
While we never got to stay at this hotel, I will definitely book it on future trips to Myrtle Beach, if for no other reason than the customer service I received through this exchange with them. A room is a room is a room, but having good employees who are willing to listen to the guest and make an informed decision for that particular situation is hard to come by. Kudos to this hotel's management and the team that works there!

2  Thank Amanda K