Overall- I would not return to this hotel and it placed a fairly bad taste in my mouth for the brand. The check in process took over 5 hours and I only received a room because I was persistent and kept bugging the front desk.
When they did get my room checked-in, after the 4pm check in time, when I arrived at the room there was a giant, incredibly bad smelling, bag of garbage that was in the middle of the hallway. I had to jump over it to get to our room, and when I got into the room there was a woman (I'm assuming someone from housekeeping checking the room) in there with a clipboard and the TV on. The trash bag stayed in the hallway until I called over an hour later to tell the front desk it was there and had made the entire room smell- I had to open the balcony doors- which I don't see as safe given I have two young children that love to climb.
When I went into the bathroom the bi-fold door in front of the laundry machines fell on me since the bottom was broken. The maintenance man came by and drilled it into place so it wouldn't fall on my kids during the week. While he was there we realized the safe wasn't working either and we could not figure out how to get it to work. Which left the whole week of my kids messing with it. The bottom shelf of the refrigerator was also broken and resulted in the shelf bar falling off and the glass bottles that were on that shelf fell out and broke. And on top of that- the comforter had a cigarette burn in it!
The next day I attempted to go into the hot tub and it was so disgusting I had to get out. When I say disgusting, I don't mean a few leaves had fallen in, I mean there were chunks of things floating in that looked like mucus or something worse.
Housekeeping skipped our room the first day, but after I asked the front desk about whether they serviced the room everyday, they came the rest of the time we were there.
The next few days the smell of garbage wafted in and out, making our entire room smell again and we could not figure out why. Finally, housekeeping sprayed the hallway and the mechanical room that was to the side of our room and it got slightly better, though it never went away from the hallway completely.
Our room keys constantly demagnetized- we went through, minimum, 10 keys. We did not put them next to phones, we didn't put them next to other credit cards. After the first 4 times getting stuck outside of our room, we were very careful to only put them into specific places by themselves- and yet they still demagnetized and left us locked out of our room.
The on top of all that horribleness, as we are getting to our last night, I am in the lobby, getting yet another set of keys- when I hear a woman complaining about her room, getting moved to another location and offered club access! She was complaining about a little noise and was offered discounts and upgrades, and I had to live with a damn trash smell all week and not even a basic apology. Maybe I should have been angrier and screamed to get someone's attention, because being nice sure got me shafted on this trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a great location, superb facilities and affordable rates at the Carolinian Beach Resort, an award-winning hotel where children under 18 stay FREE with parents. Enjoy a Myrtle Beach hotel with a friendly atmosphere and smartly-appointed accommodations for families, couples and group getaways. The Carolinian offers loads of great amenities that are sure to please including an on-site lazy river, oceanfront pool deck, direct beach access, and even FREE breakfast included with your reservation! During your resort stay, we encourage you to explore the variety of services available to you at our hotel and other Oceana Resorts in Myrtle Beach. From spa services at Awakening Spa located at the Anderson Ocean Club, to great guest privileges at area merchants, our resort offers a convenient location plus a variety of onsite services for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Carolinian Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Carolinian Oceanfront Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Best Western Myrtle Beach
- Best Western Carolinian Beach Resort
- Myrtle Beach Best Western