“Overcharged for this disgusting hotel- smelled like garbage with cigarette burns in the comforters”

Carolinian Beach Resort
Ranked #63 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Overall- I would not return to this hotel and it placed a fairly bad taste in my mouth for the brand. The check in process took over 5 hours and I only received a room because I was persistent and kept bugging the front desk.

When they did get my room checked-in, after the 4pm check in time, when I arrived at the room there was a giant, incredibly bad smelling, bag of garbage that was in the middle of the hallway. I had to jump over it to get to our room, and when I got into the room there was a woman (I'm assuming someone from housekeeping checking the room) in there with a clipboard and the TV on. The trash bag stayed in the hallway until I called over an hour later to tell the front desk it was there and had made the entire room smell- I had to open the balcony doors- which I don't see as safe given I have two young children that love to climb.

When I went into the bathroom the bi-fold door in front of the laundry machines fell on me since the bottom was broken. The maintenance man came by and drilled it into place so it wouldn't fall on my kids during the week. While he was there we realized the safe wasn't working either and we could not figure out how to get it to work. Which left the whole week of my kids messing with it. The bottom shelf of the refrigerator was also broken and resulted in the shelf bar falling off and the glass bottles that were on that shelf fell out and broke. And on top of that- the comforter had a cigarette burn in it!
The next day I attempted to go into the hot tub and it was so disgusting I had to get out. When I say disgusting, I don't mean a few leaves had fallen in, I mean there were chunks of things floating in that looked like mucus or something worse.

Housekeeping skipped our room the first day, but after I asked the front desk about whether they serviced the room everyday, they came the rest of the time we were there.

The next few days the smell of garbage wafted in and out, making our entire room smell again and we could not figure out why. Finally, housekeeping sprayed the hallway and the mechanical room that was to the side of our room and it got slightly better, though it never went away from the hallway completely.

Our room keys constantly demagnetized- we went through, minimum, 10 keys. We did not put them next to phones, we didn't put them next to other credit cards. After the first 4 times getting stuck outside of our room, we were very careful to only put them into specific places by themselves- and yet they still demagnetized and left us locked out of our room.

The on top of all that horribleness, as we are getting to our last night, I am in the lobby, getting yet another set of keys- when I hear a woman complaining about her room, getting moved to another location and offered club access! She was complaining about a little noise and was offered discounts and upgrades, and I had to live with a damn trash smell all week and not even a basic apology. Maybe I should have been angrier and screamed to get someone's attention, because being nice sure got me shafted on this trip.

Room Tip: Get a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kayjlove
There are newer reviews for Carolinian Beach Resort

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Not impressed at all with hotel and definitely would not return nor recommend. Elevators slow
Or out of order frequently. Breakfast terrible. Room not what I expected. Would stay at a brand hotel instead.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Bernice S
OceanaResorts, Marketing Manager at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Thank you for choosing Carolinian for your recent stay in Myrtle Beach. I'm sorry to hear that you were not happy during your stay and hope you shared your concerns with our team so they could correct the issues you experienced. Again, I apologize.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Definitely not a nice place to stay - small crowded room, noisy, dank, old, terrible breakfast, and generally uninviting. We seriously considered leaving early as it was just so depressing. While it's certainly cheaper than most beachside accommodations in this area, it's really not worth it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Moro6395

It's disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay. I hope you were able to speak with our management team to express your concerns. Our onsite team tries hard to correct any issues during a guest stay. Again, I apologize.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We booked our room wanting our oceanfront balcony. The room is average size, very clean complete with a refrigerator, microwave, K-cup machine, iron & ironing board room safe. Being the room is one of the club level rooms (I believe floors 8-10) we received 2 snack bags of chips and 2 snack packs of cookies & 2 bottles of water for my wife & I.
The included breakfast was fine with scrambled eggs, sausages, muffins, pastries, cereal and a waffle station.
Location... Right on the beach!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Christopher H

Thank you for your recent club level stay at Carolinian. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found your room clean and well-appointed. It's also nice to hear that you enjoyed our awesome ocean front location. I hope you will return for another stay soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Beautiful view of the beach and ocean from your balcony. Very nice staff. That's where the good stuff ends. Room needed painting. Piece of molding missing in the bathroom, caulking out along the tub. Hole in the wall near the bed. Needs a total renovation. Elevators broken almost every day. Good location, but not worth it.

Stayed: August 2017

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at Carolinian. While it's great reading that our staff members were very nice, I'm disappointed to hear that your room was not in great condition and there were issues with our elevators. I have shared your feedback with our management team so we can work on correcting our deficiencies. Again, I apologize.