Dayton House Resort(Myrtle Beach)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$102
Sandy Beach Resort(Myrtle Beach)
US$141
US$124
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$172/night.

US$96
Dunes Village Resort(Myrtle Beach)
US$146
US$134
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$156/night.

US$242
US$214
US$254
US$231
  • Beachfront
Ocean Creek Resort(Myrtle Beach)
US$119
US$102
US$253
US$214
US$329
US$304
Travelocity
  • Pool
Coral Beach Resort & Suites(Myrtle Beach)
US$313
US$256
3,237 results
All reviewsacross the streetvalet servicehilton grand vacation clubhgvc ownersfull kitchenlazy riverself parkingpool areawasher and dryerliving roomgranite countertopsmini golfmurphy bedoff seasonfitness centerthree bedroomtime share
Reviewed 16 October 2017

As an enticement to purchase a time share from Hilton Grand Vacations, we purchased a fairly reasonable VIP 7 nights in Hawai'i last year on our honeymoon. Because of the ridiculous airfare, we were unable to go to Hawai'i and the only other beach location offered to us was Myrtle Beach. This was definitely not an even trade, let me tell you.

The very first line on their website says “For the newest standard in luxury accommodations, come stay at the Anderson Ocean Club and Spa”. And as I look back my first thought is holy stars I hope this isn't where the standard is going. The photo gallery on their website is definitely "glamour shots", because I assure you the place doesn't look like that. It is a fairly worn down beach hotel.

I simply don't know where to begin. When you walk in the lobby, you are overpowered by a heavy perfume smell. If you have allergies, which I don't, it will likely trigger them. I honestly couldn't stand it. They have valet parking for $15/night, or self parking that is free. The lot is one block away. At the time of check-in, I did ask for an ocean front room (as they told me to do months ago), and was told there were none. This will be important later. By the way, they have ADA ramps, but they don't have automatic doors - in case that is important to you.

The rooms have a full kitchen, washer and dryer and a blu-ray player (remember those?). I think you can rent movies. The kitchen has basic utensils, and I did cook a full meal one night, but you have to be creative if you're a cook. Each room has their own wi-fi hotspot, both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. I must admit the service was very good. You can even pick up their hotel wi-fi from the beach.

The first room we were assigned was an 'ocean view' .. that is if you are a contortionist. The furniture was dated and in disrepair, the bathrooms were not clean, the coffee maker was really in bad shape, the carpet was run down, and it just felt like 'grandma's house'. There was a constant "smell" in the room - like paint or something. There was a really small balcony - clearly not big enough to accommodate the number of people in the room, and the furniture on it. And to add insult to injury, some knucklehead (I had a stronger word) fried their fresh ocean catch in their room! The smell wreaked for two days, even though I complained about it constantly. I finally took my own can of Febreze odor neutralizer and sprayed the hallways.

The elevators were in a constant state of disrepair. We almost got stuck in one, and another guest said she was panicking while having been stuck. It seemed to be a daily occurrence.

They have several small pools, a couple of hot tubs, and a very lame, oval shape "lazy river". They have a fairly good number of lounge chairs and they do provide lots of towels. They boast 200 feet of ocean front sundeck, but it's not very wide and the chairs are lined up two deep. There is a "typical" beach bar by the pool. Drinks are fairly expensive. I ordered some nachos with cheese and expected some nice, hot gooey cheese sauce from the dispenser that keeps it warm. Then the bartender opened up the warmer, grabbed the bag of nacho sauce, and squeezed out the unheated cheese over very stale corn chips. I was mortified .. and robbed for that price.

I won't even get into the boring 'sales presentation' which wasted a Sunday Morning. I told them up front this is the second presentation, and we are not interested and that toned them down. However, when I mentioned the issues we had at the Anderson, several of them said "yeah, we heard about that" and that they only give the good rooms to the people who pay full price, not the "VIP" guests, such as us. When I mentioned this to the manager at the Anderson, along with the multitude of issues we had with our guest room and a picture of a fairly dark building from beach view at night (meaning they were not occupied), we were finally moved to an ocean front room, which I was allowed to inspect first. I do appreciate him doing that, but they could've just been honest from the get go and put us there when we checked in. I also didn't appreciate being dragged into inter-property drama, or told that a 'cost' is being eaten for the move to a new room. That's not my problem. By the way, the HGV sales team implied they could 'make a call' to fix things at the Anderson .. until I said I'm not buying.

Once we got into our new room, three days into this mess, we finally began to enjoy our vacation, and felt a lot 'cleaner'. It's obvious the rooms range in their wear and tear and cleanliness.

Their Magnolia's restaurant reminds me of the old Hot Shoppes or Howard Johnson restaurants - except those were actually clean. There's a reason there are no pics on their website. But as you can see in MY pics, it is a dump. It was unsanitary and unappetizing. We ordered breakfast off the menu, and it was mediocre. Smallest eggs I've ever seen. And they tried to convince me the chopped up french fries were hash browns .. really? Southern embellishment I guess. Let the pics speak for themselves. There isn't much else around to get a bite to eat without walking or driving several blocks. There is Grub Hub, but they are really limited. Their website says they have 'room service', but I was not aware of that.

If you're bent on going to MB and staying at a HGV property, go to Ocean 22. It's much more modern and clean. But in the end, I likely will not go to Myrtle Beach again - even if they offered me a free week.

PS - the beach was nice - clean sand, water nice. Umbrella/Chair rental from life guards, $30/day. Head over to one of the surf shops and buy an umbrella and chairs .. it's cheaper. Then pass it forward if you can't take them.

PSS - the reason they got three stars and not two is because the housekeepers were really nice, and the manager did make things right to the best of his ability.

Room Tip: Absolutely insist on an ocean front room or don't go. 1920 was a good room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ProTravelCritic
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We recently stayed at this HGV resort as a enticement to visit the new Hilton Ocean 22. We were given 4 days and 3 nights for just $230 provided we visited the Ocean 22 where a sales pitch was given to become vacation club members. The stay at the Anderson was disappointing. The room was clean but dated. Probably because we were comped (almost) a room we were given a handicapped room which was ok by us. However the shower was not very well built to keep water from getting all over the floor making it very slippery. Furniture was dated and the color selection everywhere matched to color of the outside of the building (yuckie vomit yellow). Of course the many spots and drips of paint on walls and refrigerator lends me to question whether the painter is professional and color blind. Then again whoever designs the rooms is really to blame.
The entire room was functional but the wireless was very poor with a band width that did not allow for streaming of anything. In todays age of electronics, given the usual price of the room, I do not feel this speaks to the usual criteria of a Hilton Grand Resort.
I was told during the tour of the Ocean 22 resort that the Anderson is about due for a major renovation. Hopefully this critique will be useful. There is no way I would join the club when I have stayed at much better and modern hotels of the Breakers along the same strip with the same view and better amenities.
The view and beach is great but the pool area certainly lacks. A very tiny “lazy river” ride is far from being something to brag about unless you want to go in a small circle and call it a river, more like a tiny stream. The hotel lobby was elaborately appointed, but that is where it ends. The size is small and includes a coffee shop that is rarely open especially when you want a Starbucks coffee at 6am with an opening at 8am.
On the plus side the staff was polite and the guys that help as a combination bellman and valet parking employee were great. Given the garage is a bit of a walk across the street you might want to spring for the $15/day charge if you are not a HGV member.
My recommendation is check out the Ocean 22 resort which is new and much more upscale than the Anderson.
We also stayed down the beach a few miles at another Hilton Hotel which I rate much better, similar accommodations though not a resort club hotel at a lesser price and with 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
OceanaResorts, Marketing Coordinator at Anderson Ocean Club and Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very sorry to see that you were not happy with stay. We will share your comments with management so they are aware of your concerns, and we will work to make improvements in the future.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Resort is EXACTLY as it appears on the website. The rooms are very clean and staff is exceptional. Oceanfront is an absolute must! We spent hours just sitting on balcony listening to the waves crashing. Absolutely visiting Myrtle Beach again in the future and definitely staying at the Anderson!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
OceanaResorts, Marketing Manager at Anderson Ocean Club and Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for choosing Anderson Ocean Club for the "perfect long weekend". We are thrilled to read this wonderful review and are happy you will return for a future stay.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Our apartment is on the 20th floor & sea front, so the view is amazing. The accommodation has 1 bedroom but there is a drop down bed to sleep 2 more. The kitchen has an oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine and drier. The living room has eating & seating with a large tv. There is a balcony overlooking the beach with 2 chairs and a small table. The only downfall is the bath which is deep & has a tiled surround which makes climbing in & out awkward. Overall the apartment is well maintained but parts are dated.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
OceanaResorts, Marketing Manager at Anderson Ocean Club and Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you had a "comfortable and relaxing" stay and we look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had an oceanfront one bedroom unit with a full kitchen. The view was great but the best attribute was the unit itself. It was well taken care of and had good comfortable furniture. It has a small lazy river, hot tub, and several pools including an indoor pool. It also has free mini-golf. The staff is friendly and efficient. I would recommend the Anderson Ocean Club for anyone looking for a unit not right in the heart of Myrtle Beach but close enough to walk to the action.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple