All reviews lazy river outdoor pool several years we've stayed housekeeping staff family vacation full kitchen pools tubs ocean rates kitchenette
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

This was our third stay here. I have always enjoyed our stay. However, this is our last stay here. When I have a issue, I always take it up with management first and if it’s fixed then great. If I am ignored and the issue isn’t fixed then I will post a review. If I have a great/good experience I post positive and even glowing reviews. Now about this trip....
When we checked in, I asked the young man working the desk about handicap parking - they have three slots at the lobby level that are handicap for guest registering. We were told to park there the last time we stayed. The young man informed me that there are elevators at each floor. I asked if there were steps from parking to the elevator - he repeated there are elevators. I knew there were steps on most levels and again asked what levels did not have steps....to which he rolled his eyes and replied “I said they all have elevators.” So I proceed to take the elevator from the lobby to the room and let my husband and daughter find a floor to park on. FYI - The lowest floor and lobby floor is the ONLY ones that do not have steps. There is actually a ramp on the ground floor.
Husband and daughter are bringing up items from the vehicle and at the ground level there is a pool area that is separated by a glass door. This door was propped open and two young men proceeded to spray my husband with water - not just a few drops but soaked him. We are assuming with one of the water cannon things - they took off running as soon as they did it. These were not kids- these were late teens early twenties. Pool employee sitting there on his phone does nothing. We are here moving my child to college - so that bag my husband was carrying had an iPad and a brand new laptop.... these are now soaked. $1200 worth of electronics we are hoping can be saved but I doubt it. My husband got my daughter to the room and he heads downstairs to address this issue with the staff. They go to talk to the pool guy who is clueless even though he was maybe 20 ft away at the time. We mention that they need to shut the door between the pool and the elevator....After dropping electronics at a local store to see if can be saved, we come back to attempt to relax. After an 11 hr drive, we go get in the hottub. Pool guy still in a chair on his phone, not paying any attention. Man I wish I was paid to sit on my tail playing on my phone all day. Kids running thru the hot tubs, jumping in etc. pool guy does nothing... door is still propped open in front of the elevators.
the next morning, I go in to speak with someone in management. After 10 minutes of trying to get the front desk to get management, a lady that said she was a manager came out. We explained our concerns and she just nodded and said she would look into it. We make mention that this could have been avoided if the door between the pool and elevator was closed. That evening we again attempt to get in the hottub.... same pool guy - same issues. I guess his phone was more important than the guest experience.
We noticed black spots on the ceiling in room 819. Brought this to the attention that it may be mold... again with the nodding of the head.
We have stayed here numerous times but never again. With a daughter going to college here, we will be staying in the area a lot. But I will find us a new place to stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
8  Thank Tammymomoftwin
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

My son and I stayed from Wednesday, August 8th through Saturday, August 11th. I worried prior to check in after reading all the really bad reviews and despite being right in front of the elevators, we were so very pleasantly surprised when we opened the door!

Even though check in is listed at 4pm, we arrived to town early (2pm), decided to just touch base and make sure everything was good with my reservation, not expecting to be able to check in and to our surprise, our room was ready early! Front staff was extremely friendly at check in and check out too.

We get up to our room and we couldn’t have been more pleased! As you can see in the pics, everything was clean and there was plenty of room.

I can’t speak about the restaurant or maid service as we didn’t eat there and we had the “do not disturb” sign up the entire stay. We brought our own beach towels and there were plenty of bath towels, toiletries, garbage bags, etc for two people for 3 nights.

The only thing I was worried about, once we got in the room, was the possibility of elevator noise at night. The only time we could really hear anything from the elevators is when we were in the kitchen/bathroom area. The a/c unit drowned out everything while we were sleeping. Side note: let me tell you how AWESOME it was having a room right off the elevator....no walking with all our stuff!! Whether you’re coming in from the beach, bringing your stuff up to the room or packing up and bringing it back to your car, it’s so nice to not have to haul it down the length of the building!

The outdoor pool was so soothing after a day on the beach and my son loved the lazy river. I kinda wished it went outside in the sun more, but it was still cool! Also, it would be nice if someone was checking for wristbands though. I did see numerous people at the pool without them.

Overall this was such a fantastic time for my son and I and a major reason was because of our stay at this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Sarah E, Public Relations Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel. I’m happy that you enjoyed your stay and I’m looking forward to having you again as a guest in our hotel.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

RCI timeshare through Blue Waters, you have to go to the other hotel for all your needs including toilet paper. The microwave was broken, dishes were dirty, not enough towels or blankets. Plenty of mattress covers. Chipped paint, old bathtub and faulty stove top. Not worth my RCI appoints.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with RCI
Reviewed 30 July 2018

We stayed at Sandcastle for a whole week. We loved it, it is pretty secure. Front desk were all friendly, My daughter and I loved our room view. I loved the tiki bar/bartender as well as hotdog stand! Access to beach is perfect! Considering the type of cooling system, we kept room pretty cool, so mustiness was not so apparent, some humidity is inevitable due to location and equipment but bearable. Cleaning staff were friendly and did a great job. I have to agree, elevators need a face lift inside and thrash at elevator spots must be picked up on hourly basis to avoid the unappealing look. It is what it is, people come in groups and eat so thrash accumulates fast

Room tip: i had an end room, which was great. We loved the view, the balcony and the music entertainement on weekends! i will return.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Sarah E, Public Relations Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Gabriela,

Thanks for taking the time out to review your stay with us. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Sandcastle South Beach. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

This was the worst place I've ever stayed. The maids never bothered to clean our room once. The staff was rude and the pools,lazy river and jacuzzis were in dire need of maintaince. The wait staff in the cafe were in need of training. If you want to have a good time,don't stay here.

1  Thank suepatton13