All reviews ocean front bridal suite within walking distance amazing hotel perfect location nice pool two queen beds stayed days room was large family oriented long weekend clean rooms enjoyed our stay boardwalk rates skywheel balconies
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

I wish I had the option of giving less than 1 star. My fiancé and I didn't even have the chance to stay here because this sorry hotel lies and scams people out of their money. We have tickets to The Carolina Country Music Festival so I was looking for a cheap hotel close enough so we could walk. I found this ran down piece of trash and made reservations a month ahead of time the weekend of June 10-12. The fact that they wouldn't email a confirmation number should have been a red flag but I reserved the room anyway, agreed to pay half at the time of reservation and the other half on the day of arrival. Well about 20 minutes ago I received a very unprofessional text message from the same man that booked my room asking when I was arriving this evening. The only problem Is I made reservations for June 10-12 not June 8-10 that they are claiming I made. The man basically called me a liar and refuses to refund my money. So just two days before the festival I am out $100 and don't have any place to stay. I hope this place burns to the ground.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Staci P
Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have visited Myrtle Beach 3 times in the past 2 years and we've used the Diplomat as home base for every trip. Its a great spot if you like walking around the strip at night because it's so close to the action. Its not a high end resort but for the price you cant beat it!

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2016

As some of the other reviews have pointed out this motel is definitely dated. The furniture is old and some of the appliances need updating. But aside from that and a few small cleanliness issues the bed was comfortable and the price you couldn't beat. Plus the location. Right next to the boardwalk and 20 yards from the beach.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2015

We have stayed at the Diplomat a few times and always enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the rates incredibly reasonable and the location amazing. It's right on the beach and we had a wonderful view of the sunrise over the ocean from our room. It's an old school Motel that's been around longer than most of the highrise resorts that line Ocean blvd these days. I've read some of the negative reviews but their descriptions certainly don't accurately depict our experiences. Our room has always been clean, the appliances work, our bed was actually very comfortable and I've never had a problem with the wifi. The pool is well maintained but we go to this Motel because it's right on the beach. Isn't that why people go to Myrtle? It's proximity to everything is a huge selling point. Yes it's dated but in my opinion that's part of the charm. We'll go back again and we've talked to a number of people that return year after year.

Room tip: Room 345 is like a honeymoon suite. Wonderful view, firm King size bed.
Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Casey K
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

To stay at this motel you must have a great sense of adventure. The best part of it is definitely the price. Do not come with any expectations. We jokingly called it Murder Motel all weekend.
Upon arriving another guest came in while we were checking in to ask if they had an iron. The front desk employee looked and couldn't find it, but to be fair, he asked for the guests room number and promised to bring it to him. I was highly amused by this already having lowered my expectations.
The room. OH THE ROOM!!!! The room was something out of a terrible rom com bad hotel troupe! The carpet was sticky (we didn't take our socks off at all while in the room). The walls were covered in scuff marks, chipping paint, and cobwebs. There was NO phone in the room; nor blankets on the beds for that matter.
Speaking of the beds. I pulled down one of the flat sheets only to find a dead spider in the center of the bed. I figured; well, at least it's dead! The spider I could handle, the mystery stains and hairs though we're too much. My best friend and I went to the store and bought sheets, pillows, and Lysol. She was worried that it would hurt the maids feelings when they came in to "clean". I insured her that they already knew.
The bathroom was an interesting combination of "not to bad" and "really?!?!?" The shower was actually okay aside from the fact that it was built for toddlers. I am not tall by any means being 5'3 and I had to bend down to was my hair.
My friend made the mistake of washing her hands when we got in the room only to find that the sink was completely clogged. The sink stayed clogged all weekend; I finally soaked the water up with one of the suspicious towels.
The toilet was fine other than they had obviously painted the seat. I'm not sure why anyone would ever do that. Paint chips getting stuck to your butt is not my idea of a good time. The toilet paper dispenser was held together with packing tape! I accidentally broke it by unrolling the toilet paper but it's okay, I fixed it! Looks better now than when we got there!
The ceiling was tiled which I have nothing against; however, the tiles were falling apart. We thought about leaving something in the ceiling but neither of us were brave enough to reach our hands up there.
The last thing I'll say about the room is that when trying to get the T.V. to work I found out that we had to unplug the lamp, switch the outlet, and then turn it on. Really though, wiring problems are the least of their worries!
The parking situation is probably their biggest issue. There is a sign on the front door that states that there is plenty of parking. LIES!!!!! Not once were we able to park in any of The Diplomats parking. The lot with the office has 12 spaces (15 when people are feeling creative and have no issues with parking people in). There is another lot that you may park in that has about 20 spaces, but if you think about the fact that they have 52 rooms this does not add up.
My friend and I laughed about the fact that they were not smart in handing out more parking passes than parking spots! It was okay though because we parked in the lot on the other side of the hotel; which is technically the Sharkie's lot, but I didn't get towed or get a ticket so it's all good.
Overall the place isn't terrible if you don't mind bringing some bedding, Lysol, Liquid Plumber, and a great sense of adventure. It's a cheap motel so you get what you get. The biggest thing I learned is to never let your friends book a hotel without your input!

Date of stay: August 2015