“Great place for a walk or hike!”

Huntington Beach State Park
Reviewed 21 January 2017

Stopped in for a hike around the park. Very low-key, at least in January. Has a small gift shop, signage for trails could be better, but finally found the Sandpiper trail, ~ 2 mis. Nice day and hike around Sandpiper Pond. Would come back again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)
All reviews
"clean restrooms"
"marsh area"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 17 January 2017

As an annual pass holder, we like going to Hunnington because we can take Maxwell, our King Charles Spaniel. Good access with bathrooms close by. Can be crowded during peak season but off season is great for private beach access.

1  Thank Chieflawdawg
Reviewed 15 January 2017

Made my first visit to this state park today, with temps in the high 60s in January. Long story short -- I loved it and recommend checking it out.

We got there early, before 11:00 AM, which made entering the park relatively fast. Later in the day, I noticed the line of cars entering the park up noticeably. Lesson: arrive early, if possible.

First thing I noticed as we drove across the causeway? A sign saying don't feed the alligators. Really? We need signs for that!? This New England native expected to see something like: "Alligators live here -- Please remain calm while running away."

I saw no alligators.

We brought our bikes, like many folks. The park is huge; so much easier to check it out the first time on bike. While doing that, we saw some nature trails where bikes are not invited. So, we made mental notes on that for future visits.

Plenty of decent restrooms.

The beach there is an interesting contrast to the beach front in Myrtle Beach (MB). MB, of course, has miles of hotels abutting the beach. That's not a complaint. It's a good thing.

The contrast with this park beach is this -- as a sanctuary, in effect, for birds and critters, your walk onto the beach is greeted with just that…beaches as far as the eye can see; no hotels. I love that have the choice of one or the other as it suits me. Nice.

Thanks to this difference, the ocean provided this "floor show" -- pelicans dive bombing for fish; many pelicans. It was awesome.

I was dressed for a bike ride, not a prolonged beach visit. So, I was there just to scope that part out, long enough to want to come back better prepared.

So, do I recommend a visit? Definitely. Check it out and enjoy.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

mercifully - after 3.5 miles of walking, a clean bathroom
and a snack bar for refreshments---

if you prefer to drive into this lovely state park,
the fee is nominal
and camping is available for modest fee.

the beach is simply lovely - pristine and great for finding
sharks' teeth at low tide!!!