“Low key, pleasant family trip destination”

Huntington Beach State Park
Reviewed 15 January 2017

Made my first visit to this state park today, with temps in the high 60s in January. Long story short -- I loved it and recommend checking it out.

We got there early, before 11:00 AM, which made entering the park relatively fast. Later in the day, I noticed the line of cars entering the park up noticeably. Lesson: arrive early, if possible.

First thing I noticed as we drove across the causeway? A sign saying don't feed the alligators. Really? We need signs for that!? This New England native expected to see something like: "Alligators live here -- Please remain calm while running away."

I saw no alligators.

We brought our bikes, like many folks. The park is huge; so much easier to check it out the first time on bike. While doing that, we saw some nature trails where bikes are not invited. So, we made mental notes on that for future visits.

Plenty of decent restrooms.

The beach there is an interesting contrast to the beach front in Myrtle Beach (MB). MB, of course, has miles of hotels abutting the beach. That's not a complaint. It's a good thing.

The contrast with this park beach is this -- as a sanctuary, in effect, for birds and critters, your walk onto the beach is greeted with just that…beaches as far as the eye can see; no hotels. I love that have the choice of one or the other as it suits me. Nice.

Thanks to this difference, the ocean provided this "floor show" -- pelicans dive bombing for fish; many pelicans. It was awesome.

I was dressed for a bike ride, not a prolonged beach visit. So, I was there just to scope that part out, long enough to want to come back better prepared.

So, do I recommend a visit? Definitely. Check it out and enjoy.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,573)
All reviews
"clean restrooms"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

mercifully - after 3.5 miles of walking, a clean bathroom
and a snack bar for refreshments---

if you prefer to drive into this lovely state park,
the fee is nominal
and camping is available for modest fee.

the beach is simply lovely - pristine and great for finding
sharks' teeth at low tide!!!

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

This park is beautiful and well maintained. We took a guided tour of Atalaya. The Ranger was interesting and knowledgeable. We had a nice hike and went out on a beautiful if somewhat chilly beach.

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

Had a great time learning about Huntington Beach Park. Mike the park ranger was very knowledgable. The 2 hour 2.5 mile through the park was just what I needed to get more exercise in 2017. Nice attends.
Thanks to the park system for doing this fun hike. Will watch for the next hike and go again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

We stoped here in our way home from brookgreen gardens and fell in love with this place. It is well worth the money you pay to get in. We only spent a short time here but it looks like you can plan several days of adventures here. We went to the beach which was very clean and there is a side for dogs which we loved. Then we drove to the gift shop which was very nice. We can't wait till we come back in the spring.