“Will Never Go Back”
Review of Cupcake DownSouth

Cupcake DownSouth
Price range: US$3 - US$4
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Cupcake DownSouth’s three locally owned bakeries bake both classic and creative concoctions using the finest all-natural ingredients, like real vanilla beans, sweet cream butter, fresh fruit, and rich chocolate. We top them with our signature homemade icing, colorful sprinkles, candies, chocolate-covered almonds, chocolate chips, and more. Take your pick - we offer a dozen flavors daily from our collection of more than 50 flavors! We also offer our famous Cake Shakes (cupcake milkshakes), Cake Quakes (cupcake ice cream sandwiches), Pupcakes (cupcakes especially for dogs), After Dark alcohol-infused cupcakes, wedding & baby shower cupcakes & desserts, our signature Red Velvet coffee, and much more. Now you can order online for pickup at one of our bakeries, or call in your order for Uber Eats to deliver to you, too. Stop by and make life sweet today!
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I love, love, love cupcakes and this place was pitiful. The two girl employees were nice but the cupcake was very, very small and wasn't anything special. I don't mind paying $3.50 for a cupcake if it is worth it but this place certainly isn't.

Kristin C, Owner at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Hi LovetoTravel30606,
I am so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your cupcake! We would love to have you back to try another one of our cupcakes on us, as our cupcakes have not been known for being small - so I'm thinking you experienced an exception. I recommend the Southern Red Velvet! If you're going to be close by any of our bakeries again (we're in downtown Charleston, downtown Columbia, and Mount Pleasant) please call us so we can set it up for you. ~ Kristin
P.S. I'm glad to hear our girls treated you right!

Reviewed 24 April 2017

There are 1001 cupcake bakeries popping up all over the place. This one has it right!! The place is cute, the staff is great, the cupcakes are phenominal!! Ran upon this place when I was grabbing a bite next door. I'm glad that I found this place towards the end of my visit or I would have gained an extra 5 pounds!

Hi Jerzee70, I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to our bakery! Please definitely swing by when you're in town again - we would love to see you again. ~ Kristin

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Yes.. They are a bit pricey, but the ones we had were amazing! Fluffy, moist cakes and all the flavors were great! The icing was also good and flavorful.
We had a great experience and even went back before we left to try another flavor and were not disappointed! The black bottom, mint and praline were our favorites. Just Yummy!

Reviewed 6 December 2016

When they first opened the cupcakes were always fresh and were ginormous over-sized cupcakes. Last time I went, about a year ago, they were noticeably smaller and the prices had gone up quite a bit. We just went for what is likely the last time.

The prices are absurd at $3+ for each cupcake. I could accept that if they were the BEST CUPCAKES EVER. But they are not. In fact they are not even as good as the $3 for 4 cupcakes at the Harris Teeter 200 yards away.

We got 4 different flavors and 3 of the 4 were stale. The red velvet was so stale that the edges were actually crunchy. Nobody even wanted to try the 4th flavor. Not at all what this place started out as a few years ago. Don't see them lasting much longer like this.

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

We walked in and saw all these pretty cupcakes. The woman behind counter says we are having a deal buy half dozen get half dozen free. Who could resist??
We should have. We chose several different cupcakes. She totaled up the bill and asked for $21.00 for 6 cupcakes!!!!! That's insane. Anyway we can't wait to eat them thinking they must be the best cupcakes on earth. They weren't not even close. The icing is so sweet had to wipe it off cupcake in order to eat without Going into sugar shock. The chocolate cupcake very dry. The vanilla cupcake was dense. The red velvet was actually the best which I can't believe because I am not usually a red velvet fan.
So bummed about these cupcakes.

1  Thank Tilliesdaughter24