“Great pasta and bread! ”

Amalfi's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Ranked #48 of 347 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I both ordered alfredo pasta and it was really good. The bread that they bring to the table was fantastic, too. We ate a whole basket and the gave us some to take home. Such a great little spot in Mt Pleasant!

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Cute restaurant !! Excellent food and service best Italian food around In the Charleston area !! The owners are very nice and take pride in their restaurant !! Our waiter was great !! I would highly recommend Amalfis !!

Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

My husband got the tomato bisque which was delicious. The Caesar salad was also just as good. The selections are plentiful. The kids pizza was actually a small mini pizza and our son gobbled it up. My lasagna was probably one of the best lasagnas I've ever eaten in a restaurant. My husband's gnocchi was good but he said my lasagne was the best on the table. The service was a bit slow because there were some large parties upstairs with us. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're looking for local Italian food.

Reviewed 14 June 2016

Don't think anyone in our large party of 8 thought the food was that good. Small venue with waiting customers watching over you while you sit was uncomfortable for those at the end of the table. Definitely thought the prices were too high for what we received.

Reviewed 13 June 2016

Was looking forward to eating here while visiting the Charleston area based on reviews and the proximity to our B&B. It was 90 degrees outside and felt about the same inside. Was seated next to takeout/pickup window which wasn't to bad, just noisy and made warmer by the kitchen. Wine prices and selection were good, but the wine was warm, way above room temp, but a piece of ice in it cooled it down. The décor was nice, but cleanliness and needs some paying attention to. Right beside our table, under the pickup window, were pieces of sausage and other things. I understand people dropping things, but the staff walked right by it for the entire hour we were there. I thought that under most of the tables people had dropped napkins, but then I looked and it seemed like every table was being balanced by wads of napkins under the legs. Very tacky. Now the food. Appetizer was the anti-pasti, and it was good with plenty of meat, but could have used another piece of mozzarella. Wife loves gnocchi as we have had it through out the various regions of Italy and stateside. She was excited to see it on menu. When I asked the server if it was home mode, he said none of the pastas are home made, then we had too explain to him that gnocchi is a potato dumpling and not a pasta. he acted confused and said that no, everything is store bought, including the gnocchi. She changed her mind and went for the store bought tortellini. She said it was ok. I had to try the fettuccini Bolognese. I thought Bolognese was a meat sauce, but I told my wife they made a mistake and put marinara on it. She dug around and found a piece of meat. microscopic. It did not have the flavor of a meat sauce, it tasted like marinara that had a table spoon of some browned meat added to it as I ordered it. All in all it seemed shortcuts were taken, store bought stuff everywhere (Harris Teeter next door must love you guys!) and the place could be cleaned up and some of the walls repainted where chairs have rubbed off the paint.. Again just tacky looking. Glad we tried it, but too many other Italian places in the Charleston area to try out, so prolly will not come back. Pizzas, coming out of window looked really good, hopefully the dough and sauce are homemade as we might try a takeout of one of them.

AmalfisSC, Owner at Amalfi's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2016

Hello, my name is Davide and I am the owner of Amalfis. I first want to thank you for coming in to your restaurant. I want to apologize for the dining experience that you had.
I am in Italy visiting with my family at the moment so that is why you did not see me or my wife there. I do however want to clear a few things up. I am sorry you think that we have store bought items. It's not true. We import all our pasta from Italy, along with our meats, cheeses, and many other products. We make our sauces in house daily with tomatoes that I flew to California to hand pick and taste before using them in my sauces.
Yes the staff have had very busy days, yes there are very new members of our team and yes you did have one of them that was on one of the first days on the floor serving when they had you. I called and spoke with the restaurant to clarify. He did not know that yes we do make the gnocchi in house, along with the Tortillini that you had amongst many other things.
I'm not sure if you have been to Charleston before in the hot summer days, it can be terrible and very hot even inside. I had a service man at my location in the last weeks to make sure the air was working probably, as we do every quarter. I apologize for the heat.
We do take pride in the cleanliness of the restaurant, we have a grade A in our restaurant. I am sure there are things that we need to turn up when we return this week from Italy.
Grazie!