“Not at all what I expected”

Maurice's Piggie Park Bbq
Ranked #96 of 240 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Description: Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.
Reviewed 20 April 2018

I have had BBQ in a lot of cities in the US. I would rate this in the low middle. The building looks like a converted tire store and the inside is no great shakes either.
The table we sat down at was not very clean and the bottles of hot sauce on the side table were very messy. I had the brisket which was very fatty and had almost no smokey taste at all. I am not a fan of mustard based BBQ sauce so it added nothing to the meal. I have to say you get a lot of food for your money though. The coleslaw was very good and so were the baked beans. I have had much better hush puppies which were passable. I tried the fried okra on my friends plate and it is the first time I have liked okra. My friends liked their meals especially the ribs (maybe I should have had them too).
I realize people have different tastes but I would try a different BBQ next time I am in SC,

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

My family used to go to the Piggy Park buffet every week. This was 30 years ago. My husband and I were traveling, saw the billboards, and decided to stop. We had two Junior baskets and it still tasted the exact same!! Wonderful! There is no other mustard base sauce that taste quite the same. We loaded up on bottles to take home. The lady that took my order was extremely friendly and helpful. I wished I'd gotten her name. I totally recommend it.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

The food itself has always been great. Normally, I order a Big Joe basket but his time around I decided to try a family meal which includes a 1lb of BBQ and a few pints of my favorites sides "hash and rice is to die for". What I noticed this time around is the man in the kitchen was smiling the entire time. He seemed to be out of character for the norm, which is people who look aggravated by my order. It felt great to see the man fixing my food was in good spirits, wish I could say the same about the miserable women who took my order. I always come and order a family size meal every other week or more often, but this time around I felt like my business wasn't just wanted but appreciated. I can't rave enough about the BBQ,Hash and Rice, also the Macaroni, and customer service was my finally tipping point to let everyone know this Location has a happy energetic employee and that alone speaks volume of the service I've acquire. The pig skins are optimal no way to get anything like them Store bought and the rice is so fluffy that my kids rave about it. Thanks you Maurice's for providing such an amazing experience, can't say enough about the awesome customer service I experienced. When I see an employee with such a smile I know he's taking care of me in the most positive way possible.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

We try to fit this bbq in anytime we travel thru Columbia. Always good, fast service, in and out quick. Love the Carolina mustard based sauce. We've eat at several of their locations, all are good, fast service and clean.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Second time stopping to eat at this location while traveling to Atkin, SC. I had the BBO ribs and wife had the BBO Chicken. Both meals were enjoyable and adequate portions. Restaurant is old but clean. Self service, order at the counter.
BBQ is made with mustard base which is different for me but was still good. It's a typical BBQ place

Been to Maurice's Piggie Park Bbq? Share your experiences!