All reviews separate building reception building coligny beach hi express the breakfast area breakfast is served front desk short walk hotel rooms are golf cart service free shuttle within walking distance main building nice pool refrigerator and microwave two queen beds grocery store
Reviewed 30 June 2016

Front desk staff and the general manager Rob Lewis are doing a great job hosting guests at their hotel. They will make sure you are home away from home.
Perfect hotel location too. Close to the beach, restaurants, and shops.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2016

We have been to Hilton Head Island before so we had a good idea of where most of the hotels are located, and we knew when we booked this one for a 3 day weekend that it was not on the beach. The walk from the hotel room to the beach is a little long, but it was well worth it to my for the difference in price between this hotel and others on the island. The room itself was clean the service was personable and friendly. Yes, the check-in lobby and breakfast area are in a building that is not connected to the building with the guest rooms...it is a short walk, but I've walked much farther at big resorts to get to a restaurant...so it all really is relative.

The beach here is great for bike riding, especially when the tide is out; it can get a bit crowded when the tide comes in.

Overall my wife and I had a fun weekend with our 8 year old grandson riding bikes (which can be rented many places on the island including the front of this hotel), visiting the lighthouse, and playing on the beach.

We will come back and we will stay at this property again.

Room Tip: The pool/lagoon side has a little better view than the front entrance side.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank kdpope461
Linda P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hilton Head Island, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Dear kdpope461,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all reviews and yours was particularly helpful and informative! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

We stayed a weekend at the Holiday Inn Express Hilton Head after attending my graduation. I was overall impressed with the stay. I was greeted with a friendly smile and checked in smoothly. The room looked spanking brand new and was very comfortable. I enjoyed the pool area and the pond with the alligator. I would say the breakfast was not a full breakfast buffet but definitely better than most continental breakfast and got the job done both mornings. We also enjoyed the stroll next door and back each morning. The location is great close to everything. My only gripe is the room was a little small for my family of 4. I had two young boys so I would have liked a little more space. It just meant I had to be more organized and sufficient with the space. Also a hot tub would have been great by the pool. But otherwise the establishment was great and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank kautious05
Linda P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hilton Head Island, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2016

Dear Kautious05,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

Most of the visible renovation I read about were complete. Our room comfortably slept our family of five (double beds with sofa bed). We had our mini frig and microwave. There was also shelving for our food/ snack storage. The decor was modern and clean. Beds were comfortable. I did not like that there was not a full length mirror in the room . Also, the sink was outside of the bathroom which means: (1) you have to come out the bathroom to wash your hand, (2) there was nowhere to place your items when getting dressing or taking a shower except on the toilet, and (3) you wake everyone with the lights if you need to get dressed (makeup or brushing teeth) while everyone is sleep. Odd number rooms have a pool or lagoon view with a small balcony. It was pretty quiet at night. The breakfast buffet was good and was served until 10am (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, delicious cinnamon rolls, muffins,etc.). It was in a different building so about a 5 minute walk. The walk to the beach wasn't bad (15 minutes) but we took our wagon in case the little one got tired of walking and to carry our bags. Now, the beach was super packed. Our only access was on the end with direct public access so if you are looking for space or privacy, you will be disappointed. Overall, my experience was good. I would definitely stay again if ever in Hilton Head.

Oh, there really is an alligator on the property! He stayed in the water and the kids loved it!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Linda P, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hilton Head Island, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2016

Dear Tasha2619,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor - we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and plan on coming back! All of our rooms do have the sink outside the bathroom and we are finding that it is a love/hate layout - some people really enjoy it so that one person can be in the shower while another is getting ready - and some don't as was your experience - we are sorry that it's not the way that you would prefer but it's not something we can change. The beach access at Coligny can be very busy during the summer time - there are other locations that you can go to the beach as the entire Hilton Head Island beach is public, however, they are a bit longer of a hike so it may not have been viable with the wagon for your little one. I do hope the kids loved the great tidal pools that our beach has to offer and we look forward to welcoming you all back soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

The room itself was nice and clean--definitely a newly renovated room. We have no complaints here. However, our first problem came upon check-in. Check-in and breakfast are in a completely different building down the road. This was inconvenient-- going to breakfast wasn't an easy "get out of bed and go", but more of a "we need to get ready for the day because we aren't coming all the way back to the room". Also, upon checking-in, there was only one lady present after the second lady left saying, "you just have to do it that way for now, I can't help you" (probably referring to the fact that their internet was down- Yay....). So now there is a huge line and only one person to check us in and answer phone calls. With this being said, I got back to the hotel and noticed a parking pass and several other things that she failed to mention because she was in such a rush. Good thing I looked through everything myself!

The next issue came when we discovered at 8:45 PM that our fridge wasn't working when we went to put in our bottled waters for the next day. I called the front desk and she assured me that someone would be there within 10 mins. I called 45 mins later (because no one had come), but no one answered-- the phone just rang and rang. After giving one last shot 15 mins later (because I decided to just give up after this and assume no one was coming), the lady answered and seemed surprised that my issue wasn't resolved yet. Long story short, the maintenance man showed up 10 mins after that, left to find another fridge, replaced it, and then took another several minutes to realize that it was in fact just a tripped breaker (so all of that was for nothing)... Finally the fridge was working and we were able to get ready for bed an hour and a half later.

Overall, the rooms are nice, the parking is decent, but the service by employees could use some work.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Theodore G,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the renovated room and that you considered your stay as mostly good. We are a resort style set up so there is a bit of a walk between check-in/breakfast and the rooms - thank you for pointing that out for future guests as we do prefer that guests are aware of that prior to arrival. Note that we do offer a complimentary breakfast shuttle as well for our guests if they prefer. In addition, please rest assured that we are continually working to hire and train staff to handle guests in the most professional way and we are sorry to hear that you experienced challenges in that regard during your stay. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Hilton Head Island.