“Get the seafood, skip the apps”

Blockhouse Restaurant
Ranked #319 of 950 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Picked this restaurant while travelling for work, so I got to have a quiet dinner alone where I could order whatever I wanted without shame.

I was there on a Tuesday night, when their special is 2-for-1 appetizers, so I started with choosing TWO appetizers. I had the pimento cheese and crab stuffed mushrooms. The pimento cheese was creamy and delicious, served with warm pita bread. I wanted the crab mushrooms to be amazing. They were just mediocre. They had the potential to be great. The stuffing was full of sweet hunks of crab. It was all covered with cheese, but it wasn't heated long enough so the stuffing was only warm, the mushrooms were undercooked and most of the cheese wasn't melted down between the mushrooms. I made a sad face.

Then I had a dozen raw oysters. I've had a lot of oysters lately and these were the best. They were the medium size that I like the best, really fresh and briny tasting with a good bit of liquor in the shells. They were well shucked with no sharp bits of shell in the meat. They were served with cocktail sauce and lemon. I was given a choice of five typical hot sauces and I chose Crystal brand. My table had a basket of saltines on it for crunching between oysters. My only issues was this: when did oyster shuckers stop separating the animal from the shell? Is there a reason for serving it still attached?

I thought that would have been enough for dinner but I was still hungry, so like a crazy person, I ordered a shrimp po boy with their Blockhouse potatoes. The sandwich was huge and looked amazing. It had gorgeous shredded lettuce, two big thick cut slices of tomatoes, big pickle slices and a dozen big fried shrimp coated in a cornmeal based batter. There was no way I could pick this sucker up, let alone take bites out of it so I ate it in pieces. The shrimp were cooked absolutely perfectly and were delicious. The Blockhouse of potatoes were chunks of unpeeled red potatoes browned in butter, garlic, scallions and parmesan cheese. They were not the prettiest of spuds but they were utterly delicious.

The restaurant itself was kind of dive-y and seemed very different from what I expected based o their website. It was a little dark- multiple rooms with yellow pine paneling and a bunch of tables and booths. The area where I was seated had only two other tables in use on a Tuesday evening. My server was a young man with an adorable southern drawl and long hair pulled back under a baseball cap. He was friendly and helpful but the service was a little slow.

I would definitely come back here. I would skip the apps and go right for the seafood.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

I do go to the Blockhouse a good bit. I enjoy the food and the people very much. On Sunday they have a brunch that is very good, and they make a Bloody Mary that is the best I have had i a very long time! And you will never go wrong with the burgers.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

Several times now I have eaten lunch with business guests and every time they are so surprised about the smokey flavor of the thick beef burgers! I love the onion rings, some others prefer the steakhouse fries. Service is great and this has been a local favorite for many years. Bar and sports TV for those that want to un-wind. Try the Grand Prix Burger if you like bacon too. Keep in mind the burgers have a smokey flavor from the grill so they will NOT taste like a fast food burger.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Suggestion from our hotel. We drove right past because another restaurant sign blocked theirs. Drove around for an hour trying to find somewhere we wanted to eat. Glad we decided to try to find it again. The crab stuffed mushrooms were AMAZING. My husband ordered quesadilla and chili cheese fries and only ate the quesadilla, and a few fries because he got full. He said the quesadilla was delicios. I tasted the chili fries and they were really yummy. Doesn't look like much from the outside and unless you hit a special it is a little pricy but worth it.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

It had been several years since I had been to Blockhouse, thought I would refresh my memory. Not a lot of physical changes- large group of regulars filling the bar stools for lunch, comfortable seating in the wood-paneled dining area with booths and tables. Excellent flavor in the beef brisket, slaw that tasted homemade, onion rings taste great and lightly battered. They are a $3.50 up charge from chips, a little salty. Speaking of salty, Brisket can be a little salty at times, this one no exception. Reasonable beer selection of domestic, import and craft- the domestic leans heavily towards A-B offerings.