“Have to be Honest - Has Really Gone Downhill”

Saki Tumi Grill & Sushi Bar
Ranked #103 of 1,004 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Columbia's most progressive restaurant invites you to step out of normal and step into SakiTumi. Flavorful grill and incredible sushi with fresh fish delivered DAILY. Creative cocktails from our full service bar and great service in a casual atmosphere bursting with energy and great music. You'll have to remind yourself you're still in Columbia. Get fresh with us for dinner and drinks anytime.
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I hate to write a poor review, but I am always honest about what I see and how it goes. I moved away from Columbia for the last 5 years. I use to love going to Sake Tumi. Now that I moved back I was looking forward to taking my girlfriend there for sushi. we went on Friday night and just wanted to order a couple of rolls before we walked around the Vista. We decided to sit at the sushi bar to make things easier and to get in and out.

We sat down and noticed that the bar leans very bad and is in need of repair. so much that we moved all the way to one end to keep our soy sauce from running down the bar and onto our laps.

We ordered drinks. I was given a 22oz Sapparo in a can. My girlfriend a glass of wine. Her wine glass had about 5 sets of lip prints on it. I asked for a glass but the server never brought one. She used a napkin to clean her glass and I drank from a 22oz can.

We were sitting right in front of the guys making the sushi rolls. Their conversations were that of young guys not appropriate at all in front of customers. Let alone a female. They were likely college guys, but the language was in really bad taste and about some of the other female customers seated at the tables. Please know that we are not uptight. I was a bartender in college and still like to have a good time.

Everything was pretty dirty. When we walked on the floor our shoes were sticking as we walked. All of these things above made us just get a few basic rolls as we were scared to branch out from that. We ordered a shrimp tempura and a spicy tuna thinking if we keep it simple and common we were safe. The guys behind the sushi bar actually said loud and clear "you can tell when people don't know anything about sushi, they order the tempura and tuna rolls". We laughed it off, but it was certainly insulting. I have to be honest though...the rolls were very good.

Should the owner/management read this and care to improve the situation I would suggest some repairs and cleaning would go a long way. Then look at who was working last Friday. The two young guys should not be representing your establishment. The older gentleman was not involved in the conversations I referenced above. Either way, I am very sad to say that one of my old favorites and now disgusting and I will not be returning. Neither will my friends.

1  Thank LaddM

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Our first time in Columbia and what a find!! sushi, hibachi, appetizers to die for!!!! And flavored saki on top!!! Wow

Reviewed 7 July 2017

We were there on a packed night. Our waitress apologized immediately that it may take time to get our food. To make up for it she made sure our drinks were never dry.

The wait was worth it (again - 2nd trip there). It was amazing. We ordered several different rolls and they were all delicious. Definitely worth the wait and I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 18 March 2017 via mobile

Awesome place for sushi. Clean place with friendly staff.

The shrimp n Grits sushi was unexpected but very delicious. However my favorite sushi roll was the Gamecock Roll.

Definitely a great place if you want some sushi.

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with friends. The appetizers were delicious and came out quickly. However, the sushi and hot orders took over an hour to get to our table. The sushi was good (once it came) but the chicken pasta was definitely not worth waiting for. If you want to try this restaurant, stick with sushi and cold foods. And plan on waiting a while on the weekends.