“Not a bad hotel, unless you have a bad room!”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #36 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Tampa, Florida
“Not a bad hotel, unless you have a bad room!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel is very nicely renovated, has good parking and the rooms are beautiful. There is a great view, although you are a ways from the historic district (not terribly far, but you would have to drive/cab, can't walk). The hotel is very clean, I've stayed here several times on business. The internet is terrible if you aren't near the elevator. If you're in a corner room, forget any connection. There are some weird noises in this hotel, I've been told it's the AC. If you're in a room with a bad AC, or that's making a lot of noise, ask to switch IMMEDIATELY. It will not get better and it will keep you up all night. As long as you're not in one of those rooms, it's a great hotel! Very nice executive lounge with a beautiful view of the city!

Room Tip: Speak up if you hear your AC making lots of noise! It will keep you up all night. If you want wirele...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were desparate for a room having decided to go to the Southeast Wildlife Expo at the last minute. Booked this room thru Hotwire - would not book it again on purpose. No king bed available. Two double beds, plus a chair and a small table, plus a large armed desk chair that could not be slid under the two level desk, and the TV cabinet made for a very crowded room. It was kind of a puzzle to get enough furniture out of the way to be able to walk to the window. Not that the view of a series of horribly ugly parking lots was worth the trouble. The bath was adequate but with a strange configuration of double shower heads that didn't quite make sense. Oh, and the air conditioning didn't work. Didn't realize it was getting warmer until about midnight. By 1 a.m. it must have been 80 in the room, and who wants to dress and repack and move rooms at 1 a.m.?? The bed was very comfortable with a variety of pillow choices.

Had lunch in the hotel restaurant, Sapphire. Good service, good food, nicely presented. No complaints there at all.

Had breakfast buffet the next morning - BEFORE complaining about the air conditioning. My mistake. The front desk was willing to comp breakfast had I not already paid for it. $37 lesson learned. Checked my bank account this morning to discover that the waiter had run my debit card thru with a 20% tip added on. I've never had this happen to me before, ever, and it doesn't even seem legal to me. This was not a large group with the mandatory 20% gratuity - it was two people!

The patio at the hotel was being renovated in spots, and there was an area that was quite dangerous with some "moving" tiles that was not roped off. Accident waiting to happen.

All in all, wasn't horrible (except for the lack of AC and view) but will book earlier and better for next year's Expo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water - not the hideous parking lots and factories.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank OhioGoneSouth
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel on business in mid-February. Average is about the best way to put it. There was remodeling being done on an outside patio and on a rooftop lounge. Which wouldn't be a problem - but sometimes it would be nice to know that things are closed or being remodeled instead of stepping out onto the rooftop itself into tossed chairs and grout. The front lobby is very nice though and the front desk staff were friendly. The room was average. The shower, definitely quite nice with its two, movable heads and plenty of warm water. The location within the city is nice with close proximity to the water. But clearly they were saving the rooms with water views for other guests so I can't really speak to that. Within walking distance are mostly fast food restaurants; although, the restaurant called Saffire is very excellent. I wish I could say there were lots of other positive things that stood out in my mind. But there aren't a lot of bad things either. So, average.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ahk13d
Greenville
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We booked our reservation through hotwire. I called the same night to the hotel to let them know I would need a crib for my 19 month old daughter. I spoke with Jessie. He was so polite and courteous. He advised me to call the day I was arriving to request that and I could also request a balcony and king size bed at the time. He answered all my questions and provided excellent customer service. On Friday I called ahead of time and requested the crib, balcony, and king size bed. I was told I could have all three no problem! Check in was fast and friendly. When I went upstairs to my room I was in awe! We were on the 10th floor overlooking the river and had a king size bed. Most hotels provide a pack n play. I was suprised to see an actual crib for my daughter! I could not have asked for a better room or a better place to stay. We were about only about 5 min from downtown. That friday night I had questions on places to eat so I waited for Jessie to arrive after 11pm. He took my calls and answered all my questions. Never seemed to minded that I had called several times. All his choices were excellent! I will definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the 10th floor balcony rooms. Fantastic views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chrissy M
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed at this property for a work trip and found it "functional". Great views of the water. It's definitely one of the older properties in the area but pretty well maintained. The staff was friendly and the concierge level was exceptional. The downtown area is not within walking distance but just a short drive away. The only real negative is that the internet was horrible - it kept kicking me off and took forever to load a page. I finally gave up after messing with it for over an hour.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business