All reviewsart gallerywine blendingrooftop barkessler propertieswine roommarriott propertygreat boutiquesoaking tubfavorite hotelfitness roomthe entire hotelpleasure of stayingfront desk staffwalk in showermeeting streetanniversary triphotel staff
Reviewed 1 April 2018

We enjoyed our stay at this unusual gem. Right near downtown without all the noise and action. Great rooftop restaurant and service. And, my all time favorite was the wine testing room: wines on tap! Great entertainment to try the different types. Entire hotel had friendly staff, good food, great location, and def will return!

Room Tip: I was satisfied with our rooms. Good size and big bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 May 2018

Thanks for your review of our hotel! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Safe Travels

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Room was modern and comfortable. Nice lounge and restaurant on top floor. We loved the artwork around the hotel. Gave it a very fresh look. The rooms are small, but enough room for two. The front desk was very helpful regardless of the hour.

Stayed: November 2017
stevespear2018, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Charleston, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Thanks for the great review! See you again soon!

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

The service is good and it’s a good location. We had an interior room which you should definitely avoid. We requested a move and were denied despite having Marriott status. Some people might like the over the top boutique hotel decorating but in my view it masks an average hotel. There’s a lot better in this price range in Charleston. Nice roof top bar though.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank apentz
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Charleston, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear apentz,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate your favorable comments about our service, location and nice roof top bar.

Please accept our sincere apologies that our available inventory did not allow us to move you to another room during your visit. Your comments have been shared with our Front Office Manager so we can make a notation on your account that you prefer an exterior room over the interior atrium view.

We hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to deliver an overall experience that better represents our commitment to exceeding our guest's expectations. If given another opportunity, we are confident that your experience would be much improved.

If we can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

John Luckett

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Stayed two nights at this lovely Boutique hotel. Art is everywhere and its all amazing. The wine mixing event was lots of fun and added to the stay. (MY wife loved the wine blend that I made) Thanks for a memorable stay.

Stayed: December 2017

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Background
• Hotel Stay was March 17th to 18th
• Platinum Elite with 700 nights across multiple Marriott properties
• Native of Charleston, SC

I chose this hotel as a quick retreat for the weekend. Being a once native I was curious about the service and guest experience. Given the location and only 50 rooms, one would expect a very memorable stay. Especially for the price point and given the competition with in Charleston. Sadly, my expectations were missed by a long shot.

1. I called the hotel earlier in the day to request a bottle of Champagne be in the room so upon check in, it would be waiting. Check in is at 4pm, and I informed them I would be there between 4/-430. We were also celebrating the end of Chemotherapy treatments and getting away before the next phase before surgery.
a. Told not a problem and they were excited to help on this special occasion
b. I also checked in via the mobile app to ensure that the front desk was aware of my intentions and so that this could be billed to the room, since there was a card on file

2. Upon arrival, I was told it would be a few minutes as the room had to be made ready. They would come and get me at the lounge upstairs.
a. That took until 545. By that time we already had a celebration drink, and the entire moment had passed
b. While the room was upgraded, the expectations agreed upon were not met

3. There was little information, or not easily found in the room about the hours and menus of the various places with in the hotel
a. This made us decide to make breakfast plans the next day else where
b. While there were room service guides, it was not clear on the options and where within the property

4. Free breakfast not explained at check in, nor any letter in the room explain the same – Not even free coffee in the Lobby
a. The next morning when discussing this with the front desk, I then learned we had free breakfast as a Platinum member
b. This was clearly not explained at check in, or in any literature
c. Even a courtyard has coffee in the lobby

5. Mattress had a mattress pad with a “vinyl type top” on the bed
a. While I understand the need to protect and preserve a mattress being used in a hotel, this was a first
b. This types of ‘protectors’ reflect body heat
c. Making this the WORST sleeping experience in all of my Marriott stays, from Fairfield Inn to Ritz Carlton

6. Overall, there is nothing memorable about the hotel or stay that would make you want to come back
a. Hotels, especially in Charleston need to create an experience that would make a guest want to come back. I don’t have that feeling here
b. While there is artwork on the walls, if that were taken down, you would remember the acrylic fixtures and mood lighting, nothing about service, food, etc
c. When spending $600 a night, celebrating an event, and you have options in a city like Charleston- an impression is key
d. What I came away with was the impression of a junior staff, bad operations, great location, way overpriced for the experience
e. The front desk person in the morning during check out was great and did comp me for the Champaign. She seemed like she understood and was very apologetic for the experience.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade, get out into the City
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Howard S
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Charleston, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Dear Howard S,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent experience. Your Platinum status and repeat business are very much appreciated.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the service shortfalls that you experienced during your visit. I’m very sorry to hear that we missed the service standards that we hold in such high regard. I have shared your housekeeping comments with our Director of Housekeeping so the necessary corrective measures can be taken to ensure your room is ready on time and correcting the mattress pad cover. In addition, I have shared your feedback about the complimentary breakfast benefit as a Platinum member with our Front Desk Manager and can assure you the necessary corrective measures have already been taken. Thank you for your favorable comments regarding how our Front Desk Agent handled your departure.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and review any additional details you might like to share. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. My contact information is listed below. I hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to deliver an overall experience that better represents our commitment to exceeding our guest's expectations. If given another opportunity, I’m confident that your experience would be much improved.

If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

John Luckett