“Great courtyard!”
Review of Barbadoes Room

Barbadoes Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Barbadoes Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 1,011 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Step through our distinctive arched entrance and experience the famous Barbadoes Room Restaurant, one of the top South Carolina restaurant choices for locals and visitors alike. Named for the extensive trading between Charleston and the West Indies, The Barbadoes Room at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel delights restaurant patrons with a warm, intimate atmosphere. Make plans to join us for our renowned Sunday and Holiday Brunches at this elegant and historic restaurant or relax and enjoy a refreshing cocktail in our picturesque Courtyard.
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We were here mostly for breakfast. We also had drinks in the evening. The courtyard is very nice atmosphere. The staff is friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

We were staying at the hotel so we dined here multiple times. Every time the service was lackluster, staff was forgetful, and the failed to communicate details dealing with my gluten allergy that were important. First off, the staff doesn't smile excluding the young woman at the front that greets people. No one ever smiled or asked us any questions like "where are you from?" Are you loving Charleston etc... First night, our waiter made a lot of jokes that seemed off putting to me- like teasing. I didn't like that. I ordered the same meal as my husband which would be the fish and he joked saying how do you know you are not eating his food? That doesn't make me comfortable knowing that one meal with gluten could potentially make me sick and ruin our trip. He started acting a lot nicer when I started ordering bottles of wine and you can make whatever inference from that. The second time we ate here I once again explained the gluten allergy. I got the same exact blank stare and response OK. I am very specific in what I order so that there are no mistakes and everything is as clear as possible. I ordered an omelette & potatoes. It came out with bread and I asked about it and the waitress said IDK I entered GF in the computer. That is the same thing the waiter did the night before. If you ask any additional questions all you get is an I don't know and they look like you should be glad they are tolerating you. They don't seem to know the menu items in full detail and if you ask them to ask the chef they basically act annoyed. I asked if the bread was gluten free and got a smug response. I asked if the potatoes were fried and got an I don't know. I asked if she could ask the chef and she tried to get the chef to come out to my table- like why? Just ask... the manager came to the table and HE asked the chef and was very helpful. He said they do have a frier that is used to fry everything, but the oil was just changed last night and so I should be safe. Once again... this is a detail that should have been checked as soon as I told them I had Celiacs. At that point I didn't even want my breakfast because I was afraid I was going to get sick. Our waitress wasn't very nice, she came back and smuggle asked about the potatoes. And BASICALLY I got lucky that they changed the oil so I don't know why she was acting like she was right when she already said she didn't know anyway. I came in there again for happy hour and another person waited on us and she was all over the place and inattentive. Came back another day and I asked that same waitress for water while I waited for my food and I never even got the water. My husband eventually asked why I kept coming there because the service was so awful. Had I known that there were literally restaurants right across the street from the hotel I would have NEVER came back in there. I basically felt like I was being treated like I was a headache to deal with because I couldn't have gluten and last time I checked I was a paying customer. With that being said, the food was mediocre at best. The raw oysters were amazing and we got them twice. But pairing that with the bad service its not enough. At a good restaurant when you inform your waiter/waitress you have Celiacs/gluten allergy they tell the chef, they enter it in the computer, they tell you this is what I did and they don't just serve you things and not explain "by the way this is gluten free". There is a continuous stream of information so that you - the person who could get sick for days or months will feel comfortable and trust them so you can enjoy your meal. And most of the ppl eating here were a lot older and the restaurant was always half empty yet the waiters would disappear for 10-20 minutes. Breakfast was actually tasty, but the omelette was too oily in my husbands opinion and he also liked the she crab soup.

Catelen, Manager at Barbadoes Room, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Dear Ms. Airie2011,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent dining experiences. It is only through feedback, such as yours, that we are able to improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

We were extremely disappointed to read that your dining experiences while in the Barbadoes Room did not meet your expectations as a valued guest, nor, did it represent the kind of service that we strive for. While I understand that an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience, I do extend it with all sincerity. We do take guest's allergies very seriously and take the necessary precautions to provide safe and delicious food. Again, we apologize that you were made to feel that your allergy was an inconvenience for our staff; the level of service you experienced is certainly not acceptable, but I do assure you that all the concerns you outlined have been addressed and will continue to be addressed so an experience like yours will not occur in the future.

Again, we apologize for missing the mark, but would love the opportunity to win you back. Should you have the time for a return visit I would like for you to reach out to me so I can personally set up the reservation. You can contact me at cduerr@wyndham.com. We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

I had four great breakfast and a couple of evening meals during my stay at the mills house. All food has been enjoyable, the service excellent. Love how after a day of walking the city we could come back and order fresh lemonade only to find there was no charge. Totally outstanding!!!

Applestrudel,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We are so pleased to here that you enjoyed your dining experiences. We hope that we will be able to serve you again soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Our waiter, Jeff, was was amazing and very accommodating of our requests for special drinks. The cauliflower rice, seared sea scallops over farro and the charcuterie plate were scrumptious ! Can’t wait to go back - ask for Jeff!

1  Thank Erin A

Hi Holly and Jim,

We are so pleased to hear that you had a great dining experience with us! I will definitely let Jeff and our kitchen staff know that you left kind words for them! We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Went to dinner with my husband and our 6 month old on a Wednesday evening. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the delicious smell. We were greeted and seated right away, even though we were late for our reservation.
Food: Charcuterie board - excellently paired meats and cheeses. Soft shell crab - only available 4 weeks per year! My husband cleaned his plate! Smoked fried chicken - tender, juicy, smoked chicken with a crunchy breading. So good! Chocolate caramel cake - Save room for this moist cake topped with ice cream and crushed heath bar! Fresh steamed oysters (free on Wed. Nights!) Hubby enjoyed them.
Cocktails: we tried 2 different types and I can't remember the names. Both were delicious!
Service: Beyond perfect. Our waiter, Steven, was friendly and on top of everything. He went out of his way to make the experience amazing. One of the managers, Brice, checked on us regularly. We had an amazing experience! We will definitely return.

1  Thank cat3178
Catelen, Manager at Barbadoes Room, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Ms. Cat3178,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a wonderful review. We are pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with us! I have shared your review with our staff and they are just as delighted to hear this good feedback. We hope to be serving you again soon.

Best Regards,