“Great Brunch!”

Ranked #49 of 1,011 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$12 - US$34
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Meeting & King
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

We came from brunch on a Sunday morning and had a great meal. I got the pork benedict and it was delicious. Just the right amount of food. They were very busy and we had great service and enjoyed our visit. Will be back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,738)

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

My co-worker recommend Poogan's Porch or Husk, which is right next door. I decided to go with Poogan's Porch because the food dishes looked more appealing to me. I also loved the history behind it.

We had a few downfalls and it breaks my heart to give them 3 stars. As a Yelper I have to be fair and rate it based off of my overall experience. Therefore, I have to take everything into consideration. My issues were with our server, the Hot Seafood Dip and the Old Fashioned.

Server: we couldn't distinguish why we were getting horrible service from him. At first we thought maybe because we were gay. Then thought is it because we were women. Or maybe a little of both, I don't know. I've never been to the South, but I know some folks are stuck in time. We just felt he should have kept it professional. We even thought maybe he's just busy, giving him the benefit of the doubt, but no. He gave everyone around us great service.

Hot Seafood Dip: So, in the Hot Seafood Dip there's crab, shrimp, salmon and it's topped off with toasted crumbles of baguette. I think this dish was unsuccessful for us because the salmon took over. That's all you tasted. Salmon is powerful so we were not surprised it stole the show.

Old Fashioned: From time to time I like to order an Old Fashioned before a meal. This was a disappoint. As soon as he set it down in front of me I knew this wasn't going to be good because they served it with crushed ice. That's a no no. Anyway, I preceded to taste it. For me, it was watered down and I couldn't taste any of the bitters it claimed to have. I also was disappointed that they forgot to put an orange peel in mine. Honestly felt I was served bourbon with crushed ice with a cherry inside.

For our main courses we ordered the Bourbon Smoked Chicken Quarter and the Lump Crab Cakes. That Bourbon Smoked Chicken is dynamite!! I've never had anything like it. The chicken is smothered in a red wine jus that was phenomenal. The chicken is served with caramelized pearl onions, roasted mushrooms, collard greens and red grits. Everything was superb. I really enjoyed this dish. I felt all the ingredients paired well beautifully.

My partner ordered the Lump Crab Cakes. Full of crab. You don't get crab cakes like this in California let me tell you. I've never seen so much crab in a crab cake before. Overall, great dish. Full of flavor. She really enjoyed her dish.

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Great draught beer , if a tad expensive, food very good service excellent, Katie and lovely bar maid very good

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had stopped here for dinner (reservations needed). We had the pimento cheese and Mac and cheese apps both very good, and split the crab cakes; which were also good. We skipped on dessert didn’t see anything that struck our tastebuds. Overall a decent meal not too overpriced, nothing bad or spectacular just a good meal.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Fun atmosphere and great food. The shrimp and grits were perfect. Many local people recommended this place and we agree!