“Soft shell crab to die for!!!”

Slightly North of Broad
Ranked #14 of 1,000 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Faber Street
Description: Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.
Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

Totally random pick (thanks to Trip Advisor)!!! Incredible food on a cool atmosphere. If you can dine during soft shell crab season...ENJOY!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,777)

Reviewed 11 May 2016

Slightly North of Bay (SNOB)
Charleston, South Carolina has it all. Beautiful marshes, historic old homes; giant live oak tress hauntingly adorned with Spanish moss. A lively downtown with a great deal of activities for people of all ages.
It also has some excellent restaurants. Low country cuisine happens to be one of my favorite kinds of cooking. As we walked around Bay Street we happened upon a restaurant called S.N.O.B. Short for “Slightly North Of Bay. We looked it up on Trip- advisor, noticed they had a 4.4 rating, so decided to give them a try.
My wife had the special of the day; a Chicken Curry that came with a salad of sunflower seeds, berries, mixed greens and shredded carrots. The vinagrette that accompanied the salad was superb. The curry dish had some coconut milk and just the right amount of curry. Wonderful texture and very flavorful. She didn't leave a grain of rice on her plate.
I ordered the shrimp and grits with sausage and ham. Please note, I am a foodie cook who loves shrimps and grits. When I make this dish at home, I mix my grits with cream and chicken stock on low heat for up to forty five minutes. All the while I slowly stir the grits until I get a very creamy consistency. Grits are not supposed to be gritty! I have ordered this dish in restaurants from Louisiana to Georgia to South Carolina. Whenever I order it my wife asks how it tastes. I usually give her a wink, smile and say, “I make it better.” This time however, I was in taste bud ecstasy. It was the most delicious shrimp and grits meal I have ever tasted! The shrimp was fresh and plump. The ham and the sausage melded together creating a beautifully, robust red sauce that covered the perfectly cooked grits. This was a great tasting dish!
Our waiter, Ilya, was courteous, friendly and treated us wonderfully. Thank you Ilya!
When in Charleston, South Carolina do take in a horse drawn carriage tour, visit the wharf and some of the historic homes along the Historic District off Bay Street, then please do not hesitate to visit S.N.O.B. Order the shrimp and grits and please let me know if this isn't the best you've ever had. I know it will be!
Good Tasting!

1  Thank grangerangel
Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

Was upset that we were told that we got complimentary biscuits or cornbread. When we asked for biscuits, because my daughter is allergic to corn, we were charged $8 for two biscuits! They charge $4 for any side or Veg of the Day so they considered two biscuits as two VODs apparently. If they were awesome, it wouldn't have been such a slap, but they were puny and dry. Let your patrons know how much you charge, when they are not going to be considered complimentary.... I guess bringing two types of bread to the table is just beyond your food budget?!?! The manager should have seen our discomfort when we questioned him about them, and offered to charge for just one biscuit. Half way would have satisfied your patron! I guess you have to keep up the S.N.O.B pretense? Rant over, feeling better now.

Reviewed 10 May 2016

Absolutely terrific evening at SNOB! The barbecued tuna tartare was as good as our waiter described. Excellent service and wonderful ambiance. One of the great restaurants in Charleston!

Reviewed 8 May 2016

I think this place was once a great dinner spot but the publicity and time has gotten the better of it. Herded in like cattle. The tables are on top of one another. We waited nearly 10 minutes for a server and longer for drinks. We had an appetizer and were amazingly underwhelmed and left. Our server was just going thru the motions. Worn out decor, old person vibe.

You can do better.