“Fresh Ingredients, Delicious Food, Friendly Staff”
Review of Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom
Ranked #110 of 999 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Kitchen Hours Sun-Thurs 11AM-11PM Friday & Saturday 11AM-12AM (Bar 11AM-2AM)
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We went to Mellow Mushroom because our daughters are here while we went to a fancier restaurant when we were in Charleston on Spring Break. They came back RAVING and the two of them had finished the medium pizza they ordered (I am now impressed and a little disconcerted that they accomplished that). So tonight we decided to drop in for a later dinner and were not disappointed.

The beer menu is huge, including a sour beer, which is a pretty unique thing to find on a restaurant menu. We ordered our beers and the House Special pizza, size medium. I am glad we didn't order an appetizer because we couldn't finish the pizza THOUGH I WISH WE COULD HAVE! It was delicious. I noted that the House Special has ground beef on it and this is the first time I have had a pizza with ground beef where I could both taste it
AND liked it! All of the ingredients are obviously very fresh. The crust is chewy and slightly malty? tasting. I don't know, whatever they've got going on, they're doing it right. Oh and the bacon was serious pieces of bacon (see the picture I took), not tiny little bacon bits.

It was a little noisy, but you can't blame the establishment when a huge party of like 14 people comes in and is feeling a little boisterous. Not to mention, it's a pizza place :)

I definitely recommend Mellow Mushroom. I didn't find the pizza too salty, which is sometimes my reaction to restaurant food. But for patrons who want more salt, they have salt and grated Parmesan on the table. In my opinion, the flavors of this loaded pizza are lovely and didn't need to be enhanced with too much salt.

Mel M, General Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for the great detailed review! We really appreciate great people like you!

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Very special place. You enter from the back. Climb stairs... quite hard to find for a tourist but worth it.
Pizzas are good. Team is great. And personnally I loved the music. You do not hear Kansas everywhere nowadays.
Good prices also.

Mel M, General Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank You for the excellent review!

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I have eaten many many pizza's from lots of different places and was looking forward to eating here given the high regard fellow TripAdvisors seem to hold this place.
I was a little disappointed with the food and the waiters knowledge of the food and particularly the beer. There is a mountain of choice when it comes to beer at Mellow Mushroom, the waiter informed me that the Stella Artois is 'like a local brew maaan'
The pizzas were large but fairly bland, nothing like what I would get locally at Rudy's, 6-Cut or Davardis

Mel M, General Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

I do apologize that you feel that way. I'm curious as to what you ordered and who your server was? The only way we can get better is learn from any mistakes we may have made. Thank you for the review. Please give us another try and I am positive that we can change your mind.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

So I've always enjoyed Mellow Mushroom pizzas since first trying them six years ago in Columbia, SC. This MM is no different and my wife and I had a really fabulous pizza ( the House Special - Mellow red sauce with mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, ground beef, ham, applewood smoked bacon, mushrooms, black olives, roma tomatoes, green peppers and onions with extra mozzarella). It was the perfect early evening dinner after watching the solar eclipse.

We started things off with one of their "RB Margaritas" which was excellent. The place was packed when we arrived so we got on the waiting list and walked around King Street for about 20 minutes. The table was ready when we got back and the service was great. Our server was very friendly, helpful and courteous. Once again, we were very happy with our Mellow Mushroom experience.

Mel M, General Manager at Mellow Mushroom, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you so much for the great review!

Reviewed 25 August 2017

The pizza was great! We stumbled upon this place, checked the review here on TripAdvisor and went in to order. We ordered the Kosmic Karma - and it was out of this world! But the the even bigger plus was the server! She ws super friendly, had super personality, and very helpful for us travelers. She gave us 3 tips on other places to eat -- we went to all three and they were all great too! I can;t remember her name, but she was caucasian, petite, and had dreadlock hair. What a sweetie! I would hire away if I owned a restaurant.

Her name is Jewel and she is one of our best! Thank you so much for the 5 Stars!