“NOT kid friendly dining”

Gathering Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #195 of 992 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Tues - Sat. 11 AM - 3 PM & 4:30 PM - 9:00 PM Sun. 11 AM - 3 PM Mon. 11 AM - 3 PM
Reviewed 9 April 2015 via mobile

I purchased a groupon to try this restaurant while I was in there area. I was very disappointed. It isn't kid friendly & has limited gluten free options. My daughter wanted a flat bread pizza without cheese but with pepperoni & they don't have pepperoni. What place sells pizzas without the most popular topping? She left without eating anything. The entree options are limited. I tried the teriyaki, it was ok. My niece who is allergic to gluten had the flat bread pizza. She said it was good, but I was surprised that given the healthy options, that they didn't have gluten free pizza. Thankfully we went there for a special price or we would've left without ordering in the first place. Also, we got there at around 6pm on a Wednesday & they were completely empty.

2  Thank francescamy

Reviewed 4 April 2015

Love eating breakfast here! Food is delish and it's so nice to know you're eating quality food. They have GF options, too, which is great for us with allergies. Servers are incredible friendly. A+

Reviewed 29 March 2015

"On our way out of Charleston" we stopped here on a Sunday. If you are vegan, don't go on Sunday. Tofu Scramble is all you can eat. And not with toast. We asked for more veggies in the tofu scramble since we were not getting the Portuguese bread and it came with tomatoes. Meh. Honestly, I can't understand why a vegetarian restaurant that claims to be vegan friendly can't serve yeasted or sourdough bread without milk in it. Healthier, more natural, makes no sense to me. Sensing my frustration with the limited vegan options, we were brought pita bread and the wait staff tried very heard to see if we were ok after that. The portions are small but the sweet potato hash was great. We would not make an extra trip to get here the next time we drive through Charleston.

Reviewed 7 March 2015

Located in a small strip mall in the West (of the) Ashley (River) area of Charleston, the Gathering Cafe is more of a neighborhood favorite than a posh five star downtown restaurant, but if you are looking for good food without expensive downtown prices and parking challenges, this is a great place for a meal.

This is not a white linen tablecloth kind of place. The atmosphere is nothing special, but is attractive: homey, not homely. The walls are lined with paintings and photgraphs by area artists. We enyoy the fact that is a place where we can actually carry on a converstation without having to raise our voices over ambient noise or loud music.

The menu is varied and features local specilaties at reasonable prices. It is among our "regulars" for dining out.

Reviewed 5 February 2015

The Gathering Cafe in West Ashley is one of my absolute favorites!! Inconspicuously located in a small strip mall right on the corner of Orange Grove Road and Sam Rittenberg Blvd, it can be easy to miss. Don't let the outside fool you though, the food is amazing! Nathan is the owner/manager/executive chef, he does it all! The food is fresh, unique, healthy, and never disappointing! There is always a delicious and healthy special everyday along with a vegan and protein soup of the day. I've never had a bad meal here :) Service is usually ran by one person (which is pretty impressive!), so if the place is buzzing it may take just a few extra minutes for you to be served. No big deal though!! The dining room is small enough that you won't sit unnoticed for long.
I have not tried everything on the menu, but so far here are my favs; For breakfast the Poached Eggs with Portuguese Sweet Bread and added Smoked Salmon. I wish I could order this at lunch and dinner too, I totally would!! Tomato Soup that comes with a mini grilled cheese! So cute! I've only had this once because I always have to try the new soup of the day, of course! Hummus Plate, you must get this! I swear I've ordered it like ten times! The Mediterranean Chopped Salad is the best! Pizzas...well I love them all, but if i HAD to choose I'd say the Spicy Shrimp, wait no, the Mediterranean...well either way you won't be disappointed! :) The Roasted Turkey Sandwich and the Tuna Melt...so darn tasty! Would make this at home, can't say it would taste as good though! I have not tried enough of the entrees because I usually get the special. If I can remember, I'd say my favorite special was a tomato, broccoli, and I think ricotta cheese pizza. Yep, definitely making this one at home! Also, they have really good desserts!! Now that I've ran though all the food I've consumed..keep in mind they do have gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan options. If you haven't been to The Gathering Cafe you are really missing out! Absolutely love this place! It will definitely stay in my top 5 favorite restaurants in Charleston! :)

1  Thank Krystal M