All reviews bedroom suite front desk evening shuttle shuttle service free shuttle folly beach california dreaming a pet friendly hotel historic district the hotel offers the staff was extremely friendly yogurt evening reception free breakfast early check the breakfast area nice breakfast
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel three times in the last 6 months- April, May, and most recently this past week. We really like the location, free parking and that it is pet friendly. My husband is a platinum member with SPG/Marriott and stays in a Marriott or SPG hotel four nights a week and has been doing so for the last three years, because of this we are able to stay on points. This status is given little to no recognition at this hotel which we have gotten used to. Each time we have stayed we have called down for items to be brought to our room- towels usually- around 6-7 PM. We are always told by the front desk staff that they are the only person working and couldn't leave the front desk so they would bring them up when they could or we would have to come down and get them. This hotel should ensure that they are adequately staffed so that they can assist guests. On our most recent stay, we walked into our room to find it smelled of baby powder and had a large wet spot in the floor. We used to find this hotel very clean but that was not the case on our last visit. One of the most annoying things about this hotel is that NO ONE (including staff) obeys the "No Smoking" signs placed at the front and back entrances of the hotel. Two nights in a row, my husband and I had to walk by THREE hotel guests smoking right under the No Smoking sign at the back entrance. They stated that they were smoking because an ash tray was placed there. I addressed this with the front desk staff person over the phone and she stated she would look into it and then hung up on me. It's 2017- SMOKING KILLS! Don't subject everyone to your deadly habits! Lastly, the breakfast has been pretty terrible. One of the perks of staying here is the "free breakfast" but that isn't the case when the food is so bad that you have to still go out and get breakfast. I hope that management will address my concerns so that other guests can have a much more pleasant experience.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank s-hodges08
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear s-hodges08, we appreciate your loyalty to the brand and thank you for always choosing to make us your home away from home over the years. We apologize for failing to deliver the service and accommodations you have come to expect from our brand and assure you that your feedback has been heard and steps already taken to address some key issues. In the meantime, our staff has been reminded to always recognize our very important guests and to also make sure our no smoking policy is being adhered to moving forward. We are so sorry for the discomfort this caused you and your husband. Thank you for bringing these and the housekeeping issues to our attention, and we hope you will return to experience the type of hospitality and accommodations we are normally known for providing. Thanks again for being our guest and safe travels!

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

We had a good time at the residence inn. However, there were a few problems about our room. First, the window had a crack in two places which was taped. My son took the tape off the crack and I let management know of the situation. In addition, the floor of the bathtub was not stable at all and was loosed. I told the front desk about the problem and they told me that they will fix the problem next month when they begin renovations. Furthermore, because of the problems we dealt with management gave us 10,000 Marriott rewards points on the my Marriott rewards account. I was very pleased with them giving me the points. In the future I will come back to stay with them.

Trip type: Travelled with family
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear smoove,

Thank you for staying at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We appreciate your loyalty and are honored that you choose us over other hotels in the area! Although you had some inconvenience with your room, in the beginning, I am glad that my associates resolved it to your satisfaction in a timely manner. Thanks for the nice comments, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Rick Buggle,
Dual Property,

Reviewed 28 August 2017

I'd give this 4.5 stars, if I could. And the only reason why this place doesn't get five stars is because, while it upholds the Marriott standard perfectly, it never actually impressed me. Is this fair? Probably not.

We stayed 3 nights for the 2017 eclipse, arriving Sat and departing Tues morning. I figured I'd be arriving before their 4 p.m. check-in, so I called several days early to inquire about an early check-in. I was told they wouldn't know for sure until the day of, so I should call back then. Fair enough. I did so, and was told it wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to traffic on I-95, we did not arrive early. When I did arrive, I was given a first-floor room, which I asked to move up as high as possible. They were very accommodating.

The room was the usual Marriott quality, which is pretty much everything I expect in a hotel--good beds, clean, and good quality/well-appointed.

Breakfast was also good. I've seen better Marriott spreads, but this was definitely good and we enjoyed the selections--french toast one morning, eggs, sausage, and other offerings, including a standard DIY waffle-maker, which I and my kids loved.

They also had some evening activities, offering free drinks and snacks. And they went the extra mile for the eclipse and offered a small event in field next to the hotel (which we decided not to join, so I can't say how that was).

The pool was also good--we spent a lot of time in it, although there was one point where they ran out of towels for it.

All in all, I highly recommend this place! The only downside is the location relative to downtown (not within walking distance) and the cost of the shuttle to get downtown. But that's not really the hotel's fault.

Room tip: Ask which side your room faces! Ours faced the swamp.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear flynavynfo,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We are glad to know you loved the comfort of your well-appointed room and had a great time at our pool. Thanks once more for your business, and we look forward to having you and your family as our guest again in the near future.

Dual Property

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We always stay here. Very reliable. Clean. Friendly. Nice space in rooms. Kids enjoy the pool area. Nice location with shuttle service (a little disappointed that this used to be free but there is now a $6pp fee) or a $15 taxi ride (10 min) to downtown. The breakfast always has a nice selection. There is also an evening reception (we haven't gone to this but it is offered). We will be back.

Trip type: Travelled with family
00gc, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2017

We thoroughly appreciate your loyalty towards the Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview. Nothing pleases us more than to know we succeeded in providing everything necessary for you and your family to have a wonderful visit once again. Thanks for sharing the highlights of your stay, and we hope you will continue making us your home in the future.

Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Residence Inn Charleston. For our family of five (with three teenagers) the 2 bedroom suite we stayed in was perfect. We had plenty of space. The kids enjoyed the pool in the evening. Breakfast in the morning was great - it had something for everyone. My only (small) complaint is that our room smelled somewhat musty; however, there had recently been quite a bit of rain, so perhaps it was unavoidable.

Date of stay: August 2017
00gc, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We are glad to know you had an amazing time at our pool and enjoyed the breakfast offerings we serve. We appreciate your observation and have made a note of the same. It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, and we look forward to your return visit soon.