Phoebe Pember House
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
US$204
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$147
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$125
US$103
Sleep Inn Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$114
Orbitz.com
Zero George Street(Charleston)
US$617
US$569
Zero George Street
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 April 2011

As most would agree...finding a B&B in Charleston S.C. on short notice is difficult. I was able to make arrangement at this facility. I needed to stay 2 nights, and was told I would have to switch rooms after the first evening...minor inconvenience.

When we arrived, we were shown to a room that was....well, less than exemplary. This room was not mentioned, nor pictured on their website...for obvious reasons. Right next to the office, and stairwell, let alone the front door curtains didn't cover the whole dooor, and right outside was the main sidewalk...The murphy bed was cozy, but quite inconvenient, when we had to move living room furniture out of the way.

The 2nd nights room was a room pictured on the website, but very misleading to the pictures. Bathroom was very small. 6X8 at best. The bed was quite beautiful, but of minimal quality. When we arrived at this room after an evenings activities, it was found the A/C was not functioning. A quick phone call resulted in an answer of "there is a fan in the room somewhere, we just found out the a/c isn't working? Really, I believe there are a/c services working 24 hrs. in any city. None of the windows would open, so we had to leave a small balcony door open to cool off, as best we could.

Breakfast each morning was served in a courtyard. Cold cereal consisiting of yogurt, and granola, as well as cold muffins made from a local bakery. A small cup of fruit. The same thing each day, no variety, and nothing HOT but the coffee. It was also a continental style breakfast.

I was offered a small discount upon our departure. Im sure it was the least that could be done. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a cozy, friendly bed and breakfast atmosphere.

I am sure the response from Pember House, will be the typical form letter as previously seen. Upmost standards, Historical Value......etc.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Coach67
PhoebePemberInn, Manager at Phoebe Pember House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

The Phoebe Pember House is pleased to have guests who leave comments in our guest books saying how lovely their time with us was, how they enjoyed the setting and delicious breakfast, how helpful the staff was and how they look forward to returning for another stay with us. Our guest books are full of comments such as these from the great numbers of our guests who thoroughly enjoyed their stay with us here in an historic bed and breakfast in the heart of Charleston’s beautiful Historic District. We often welcome returning guests as well as those who have come on the recommendation of friends who have stayed with us previously.

To all our prospective guests, please be assured that we always want you to leave us happy and looking forward to returning in the future. It is disappointing to us as well that these guests were unhappy. Air conditioning units do sometimes fail without warning. However, repairs had been completed shortly prior to these guests returning to their room that evening and the rooms were a comfortable temperature not long thereafter.

In our continuing efforts to provide a place where you can rest, relax and restore, we do make every effort to serve a healthy and wholesome breakfast, which most of our guests are very happy to have. Therefore, our breakfast consists of fresh fruit, organic yogurt, whole grain cereals, muffins and/or breads and coffee, tea and juice. We are always happy to make every effort to accommodate any dietary restrictions you may have as well. Most of our guests also enjoy having breakfast served under the wisteria arbor in one of our beautiful walled gardens, our traditional location for breakfast service. Should any guest prefer not to have breakfast in our garden setting, we are always happy to accommodate them indoors, as we do when the weather is inclement.

It is confusing to our prospective guests when they read a review such as this one. We hope you will be largely influenced by the much greater number of happy guests and give us the opportunity to share our oasis in the heart of Charleston with you. We look forward to meeting you.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We were in town to run the Cooper Bridge run. I attempted to find accommodations months out, but everything was booked. I was able to finally get a room here and was a little hesitant since it was so centrally located, but still had a room available. Well, from the minute we stepped on the grounds I felt pure relaxation! We didn't get a place that wasn't up to par, we were the lucky ones to get one of there last rooms =) It's in the center of everything, corner of Society and East Bay, yet if felt so secluded. We parked our car and never drove it again, we were minutes from everything! Beth, the grounds keeper, greeted us upon arrival and showed us to our room. She was absolutely gracious in ever regard. We would most certainly stay again. The room and grounds reminded you of earlier years, so relaxing and homely. I adored everything about it. We didn't eat breakfast or anything, but Beth made sure to ask if we would be attending, or if we'd like it delivered to our room. If you find charm is historic buildings, this is certainly for you! I am a hotel snob and adored this place! Very clean and beautiful! I would stay again!

Room Tip: Book a year in advance if arriving in April
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RunnerMoni
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Thank you Carolyn and Henk, for having contributed so much to our first experience with Charleston. Your gracious hospitality made our anniversary one we will certainly remember.

And thank you, Tamika and Julie, for your sunshine dispositions and many kindness.

We'll be back, for Charleston is too lovely a city to only see once. Much luck, and we hope to see you again.

Sue and David

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SueBird789
Reviewed 7 April 2010

The location of this b&b was pretty good for people who want to walk around the historic district and access restaurants and cultural events on foot. The history of this place is also enjoyable. But the current owners don't take being a b&b very seriously as the service, housekeeping, and certainly the breakfast needed improvement. We were two couples who stayed there four nights and both of us had to ask for assistance with our rooms - lights that didn't work, bugs in the room, and in general the housekeeping wasn't up to par. The continental breakfast was exactly the same for all four days, and with just a little bit of effort, could have been wonderful as the patio location was very nice, but no attempt at making the food a quality experience was taken. For the price, we didn't get our money's worth and probably wouldn't recommend it to others. There are better ones out there for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dreamtraveler4
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The Phoebe Pember House and carriage house is the treasure I have been searching for for over three years in my visits to Charleston. It is a wonderful place to stay—the privacy, the sitting room, the galley kitchen, and above all else the owner Carolyn and her staff. I have so enjoyed my stay here. I am able to visit with my children and seek solitude in the garden. I missed yoga this time, but will look forward to it on my next visit. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo