See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This bed and breakfast is in a great location, walking distance to many fabulous restaurants and only a block away from the the waterfront park with the pineapple fountain. We parked our car in the garage when we arrived and never needed it until we left for home. We were generously upgraded to a huge room with a king sized bed, fireplace and large sitting area. The room was clean and very comfortable. I wish we had met Donald, the innkeeper, sooner than at breakfast on our last day. Though John was nice enough and offered a suggestion for a walking tour and his favorite restaurants, the warmth and enthusiasm we've come to expect from innkeepers was lacking. I suppose we are spoiled by the wonderful breakfasts we've enjoyed at many other B&Bs. Signature dishes and fresh baked goods were almost always the case. Our first morning's french toast paled in comparison. The plain scrambled eggs on day two were certainly edible but nothing to write home about. Early coffee was served in styrofoam cups. I would have expected a B&B of this caliber to at least have a couple of mugs available ( I hate coffee in styrofoam cups and never use them when I entertain). There were regular china coffee cups at the breakfast table however. All in all, this B&B is a great choice only because of its location. The bed was great but the breakfast left something to be desired. Warm hosts and fabulous breakfasts are things we have come to expect from a B&B along with the usual amenities. Without the first two, one might as well book a room at a Holiday Inn.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lakeneighbor
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked (or so I thought) a reservation with these guys several weeks ago and had already planned a lot of my trip during peak, spring season. Only to find out 3 weeks after booking, and 2-weeks before my trip that they double booked and we did not in fact have a room.
I thought there may have been some confusion when I was asked for an confirmation and it was never sent. Then they had some confusion as to what was going on and left a voicemail for me to call them back. I did and they were confused as to why I was calling, in response to your voicemail telling me to call is why. Again I asked for an email confirmation and nothing. I should note that I asked for an email confirmation because they mentioned not paying taxes if you pay with cash (I'm sure this is highly illegal and the Charleston CVB will be interested to hear about this shady business practice).
After all of that they sent me a 3 sentance email saying, "sorry we double booked and don't have a room for you." No offer to help or assist in anyway as I'm left scrambling to find accommodations downtown and might be staying across the river because these guys screwed me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kueric09
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was a great choice. I am glad we stayed. Normally we are hotel visitors, but in Charleston all the chain hotels are pretty far North and would be a long walk to the center of the district (even if they say historic district). If you have never been to Charleston, I would recommend staying between Market Street and Broad Street (my 1st choice) or South of Broad in the beautiful residential area (my 2nd choice) - can't go wrong with either, however. Unity Alley was great. It is very a quiet alley but only a half block from Bay Street restaurants. I think there was only 4 rooms, all on 2nd floor and requires stairs. The rooms open to a balcony that overlooks the commons area and outdoor courtyard. You enter the B&B walking through the unique garage and then into the courtyard and finally into the living area. Breakfast was great. No problems at all with the hosts or the accommodations.....while in Charleston can I recommend the Trot and Walk (we went with Palmetto booked in advance). I didn't realize (most don't) that Charleston restricts the number of carriages out and as such all of the carriage rides are limited to one of 3 zones. The drivers don't know what zone they will be going to until the city randomly gives them a number after you are on board. The point is, the walking portion then allows the driver to walk you to the other 2 zones and describe historical points.. Thus, be sure to do the trot and walk. We also really enjoyed walking South of Broad to see the beautiful homes. Also take a stroll through college of Charleston - it is beautiful. Stopped at Barnes & Noble by the college and bought high quality College of Charleston shirts, etc. for our kids. Much better than the tourist stuff elsewhere. You must try desert at Kaminsky's on market street.

Room Tip: I think two rooms have king beds and the other two have queen.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 21JackJ
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here in September and really enjoyed our experience. First of all, you absolutely can not beat the location. Steps from so many great restaurants and just a short walk to Rainbow Row and the waterfront. We parked our car in their private garage and didn't move it until we left!

The room we stayed in (above the kitchen area) was great. Quiet and spacious. Everything was very clean. The artwork in the common areas is wonderful and there is a very cute little terrace in the middle of the building that is a great place to have a cup of their wonderful coffee in the morning! The breakfast was tasty and enjoyable. They even made breakfast early for us the day that we left since we had to get to the airport.

The one thing I would mention is that the owner/manager is pretty hands-off. Don't expect to sit and chat or get a tour of the area. They check you in and are cordial and nice, but not overly interactive. This was fine for us as we really just wanted to enjoy our getaway with each other. And, yes, you have to call when you get there as they will need to let you in. We had to wait an hour before someone could get us into our room (this was before the stated check-in, so it was our own fault) but we just went over to the Rooftop and had drinks so it was fine. :)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sara K
Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a wonderful, peaceful, private B+B in a great city! Perfect location. You do not need to go to any art galleries in town; the place is filled with many objects d'art that could be found in any major museum in the world. Thank you all for your hospitality. If i could give it 6 stars, i would. I hope to return one day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo