All reviewsprivate balconyocean sidethe wi finarragansett beachbooked this hotelcoast guard houseroom was clean and comfortablepleasant staymorning coffeecrazy burgercontinental breakfastblock islandpaulinegoodiesipad
Reviewed 12 August 2015

We booked 10 rooms 8 months in advance and at that time were told we had to pay for one night for each room. Prior to our arrival two rooms were cancelled. We arrived on 08/07/2015 around 10 a.m. and attempted to check in. We were told only one room was ready which was fine. We had some breakfast and then before leaving for the beach I believe two more rooms were ready. We then went to the beach and returned about 2:45 PM. (Check in is really 3 pm). At this time we were told that 3 out of the 5 rooms we had left were occupied. Apparently they had given 3 of our rooms away that we had already paid for. After about an hour of juggling and finally the appearance of a manager we were accommodated but not with the rooms that we had booked 8 months ago. I wanted to make sure the charges were correct but was told everything would be straightened out with the manager when we checked out on Sunday. On Sunday when we went to check out there was no manager on duty, in fact there was no manager at either this hotel or the sister hotel Aquablue(VillageInn). Some of our people started to check out and were not getting charged correctly or were being charged for 2 nights when we already paid for the first night 8 months ago. We told everyone to stop checking out because once they did the gentleman at the desk could not help them by crediting their accounts. We asked to speak to a manager and were told we would have to wait until 3 p.m. Of course this did not sit well with us. Then we were told maybe if we went to the Aquablue hotel the desk clerk there might be able to help us. So now we all truck down to the other hotel to try and straighten this out. When we arrive there it turns out this clerk can't help us either and there is no manager available. We had him call cell phones, home phones etc to try and reach a manager. Finally, a manager called and talked to the clerk. At this point we just wanted to make sure that everyone was only being charged for one night and also we had credits we needed on 3 rooms. (Getting charged for ocean view when they did not have ocean view, one room they had to give us two adjoining rooms and charged us for both when it was only supposed to be charged for one, etc.) I guess this manager finally told the clerk over the phone to straighten everyone's bill out the way we said it should be. The first credit card given 8 months ago was compromised. The new card and number was given to the hotel 1 month ago. One of the credits he gave us he credited to the compromised card when even after we explained all this to him and he had the occupants new credit card on file. I could go on and on. The bottom line is poor management. The place was pretty and served most of our needs but when it came to paying and having somewhere to sleep it became a nightmare. Also, there were no apologies for any of this. The worst was no management present on Sunday when on Friday it was clear that there were big problems. It was very stressful and a big inconvenience for us. We began the checkout process at 10 a.m. on Sunday and finally began our journey home to Connecticut at 12:30 p.m. It really did put a damper on our weekend.

Room Tip: Do not get semi-ocean view room. Very small and claustrophic. Also, one King bed rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donna D
paulinarc2, Manager at Atlantic House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2016

As new manager as of 2016, I am glad to have fixed the issues you had in 2015. I found you and your sister so sweet to work with. Your comments help me know the important issues I must be aware of during my time in management. Thank you for being so nice since the old management was not helping you it felt good to fix the issues for nice people.

Reviewed 3 August 2015

I made a reservation for 2 nights. I made the reservation 2 months in advance. A month before we were supposed to arrive I called to confirm. They told me the reservation was for one night only and the the hotel was full. They desk person could have cared less.After a lengthy conversation he said there was a room available for saturday but it only had a king bed and we would have to change rooms (not so great when you are 2 women travelling together but what could we do?) They had already charged my card for the first night and now said I had to give him my card again. I was very uncomfortable with this. I have never paid for my full trip before I even arrived! He said he couldn't book it unless I gave my card.I gave the card but told him not to charge it. We get to the hotel on Friday and check in. No apologies for the rough start.They were confused why there were 2 rooms booked. I explained that they made a mistake and this was the only option. Again no apologies. My travel companion wanted to use her card to pay for the second night.The desk clerk said "can you just do that in the morning with the other desk clerk?" We check out on Saturday as planned and go off for a fun day. We get back that evening to check in. Ugh same clerk on duty at the desk. We again try to explain what happened and he says hmm I think your room may be occupied. I nearly strangled him.He gives us keys to the room. Lets hope no one is in there! We try to pay with a different card than is on the computer. He can't do it. He says let me write your info down and the night auditor will do it. No real comfortable with this but we do it. We go out to get something to eat. When we return he says " I figured it out and you are all set. I destroyed your info too" We think great at least that is done....well here it is Monday morning. I check my bank account and guess where the clerk charged the room to!!?? I would not recommend this hotel. The staff is incompetent. I understand mistakes can be made but this was ridiculous and we received not one apology!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank JackieT5492

I am the new manager for 2016 and I would like to apologise​ for the Hotel due to the issues because the staff was not trained as they should have been. I am thanking everyone for the comments they shared because I know just what I need to do to fix the hotel as the new manager. Thank you for you input.

Reviewed 14 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Atlantic House during a bike trip. The staff was really friend and welcoming. Our room had a great ocean view. The beds were firm and I had a great night. It was walking distance to several good restaurants

• Stayed: September 2014
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We chose the Atlantic House for the location and reserved through their website. The online reservation was for a room that was not facing the ocean which was fine by us. What it ended up being was a handicap accesible room that hadn't been updated since 1985. The walls had been painted at some point. Well, most of the wall as it was blotchy with several colors. All the paint was not on the walls as much of it landed on the mismatched furniture and HVAC unit. The TV hadn't been updated since MASH went off the air. We were grateful that we didn't need the handicap accessibility as the door to the bathroom had a door fixture that does not meet ADA code. The railings along the handicap ramp were rotted. An indivdual who actually needed to use the railing would have been injured. That being said, we chose it for the location that we could walk to restaurants and bars. As long as you don't plan on spending long in the room, the price was OK.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebR1974
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We enjoyed our stay ,The location is perfect as everything is within walking distance.The hotel is very simple and that was perfect for us .Ice machine in the lobby was great for our day trip.Will go back for sure!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family