“Newport Weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Port Jefferson, New York
“Newport Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just got back from Newport R I. Being that the weather has been very nice the last week or so we went to R I for the weekend. Stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites. The hotel is just 5 minutes from the town center and all the action. The hotel was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were feathery and flattened down to nothing. The room was great overall.

Room Tip: Chooses the second floor. They have good elevators, no problems.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the Navy Base and my son was graduating. The room was spacious, and clean. The lobby and eating areas were immaculate. The staff was wonderful...friendly and helpful! I have two complaints, the hot tub was COLD! I really needed to decompress the first night after graduation. The next night there was a sign that it was under repair. I was so dissapointed. My second complaint was the food at the buffet. Now being from the south, we are used to biscuits and gravy. I am not sure what whas being served...not biscuits and gravy. The staff needs to learn how to fix regional food correctly! I am also not a fan of artificial, microwaved eggs. So, just don't expect good food for breakfast. Other than that, I really like the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We like Hamptons and this is a very good one.Clean through out. Appears to be fairly new. We had a top floor king. A good size room with great king bed, stuffed chair, desk/chair, fridge/micro. Good lighting. A Clean/warm pool/hot tub with plenty of towels. While all the Hamptons we have tried have good breakfast and friendly staff this one was a cut above.Just a Great place. Location: all motels in Middletown are next to Newport there is not a poor location in town(some of the motels are only so so) most are even on the same road so any and all would be well located.This Hampton is very fairly priced for the level of service and the quality of the accommodations We Love Newport and will stay at this Hampton again and again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littlefield3
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here over the Presidents' Day weekend and were mostly pleased with our stay. The hotel was very easy to find, convenient to downtown Newport and check in went smoothly. It appears that the hotel has undergone a bit of a renovation; carpets and furnishings looked mostly new and unworn.

Our room was spacious (a one room king suite) and spotlessly clean. We always ask for extra pillows and towels when making a reservation and were pleased to find this hadn't been overlooked. Furnishings in the room were in good shape, the bed comfortable and even the pillows not too bad. I did have to say something to the housekeeping team about the corner sheet on our bed, which was clearly too small and came undone several times in the night. I suspect they put a queen sheet on a king bed. It was fixed for the 2nd night of our stay.

What we noticed shortly after settling into the room was the degree of noise coming from adjoining rooms on either side of us. People talking next door could be heard more clearly than one would have expected, even though they were not raising their voices. We noticed our room joined to the next via a shared door. The acoustics of this setup and the location of the door probably made the problem worse. This was at the far end of the room, away from the bed, but we could also hear conversations from the folks on the other side of the wall. This wasn't a problem at night when trying to sleep, but it did undermine some much needed quiet time we had been seeking.

The room has a sofa bed which wasn't too bad, but the couch could have used corner pillows to make it more comfortable when watching TV. I noticed that there is a cold breeze that comes through the exterior wall beneath the heat/ac unit. Have a feeling that this could get uncomfortable when sitting there on a bitter cold night. Fortunately we're having a mild winter here in the northeast, but you could definitely feel the cold air flowing in from outside.

The breakfast buffet was solid, nothing fancy, but a tasty. A nice assortment of hot and cold choices that was well maintained by a hard working staff member. I appreciated that they had some healthy choices of food, including fresh fruit and yogurt. The tables were cleaned quickly when someone departed. The serving area and dining room are large enough so that you don't feel overcrowded.

We did not go into the pool as this being a long weekend, the hotel was abundant with young children who took full advantage of the water. A relaxing swim was out of the question. I will say that from afar we could see the spa running and it seemed exceedingly foamy, which is an indication that it's time to change the water. I would not have ventured into the spa just based on that observation.

Overall it was a nice stay. The hotel is clean and comfortable. A great place to enjoy a trip to the area, but I think I'd be more inclined to seek out a different hotel on my next visit to the area, just based on the noise level of our room.

Room Tip: If I went next time I'd ask for a room that didn't have one adjoining it. That might help w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bobw235
Coventry, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Took my grandsons for a birthday special day to the Hampton Inn to get some swimtime in.
The check in was fast, efficent, my reservations were exactly what they promised. Pool area, with hot tub was very clean and well maintained. Room was clean, large enough for the kids to enjoy themselves. Also in the room is the fridge & microwave, next time I'll bring snacks. The free breakfast in the morning is a plus, as there are many choices for the little ones to pick from. This was a great off season surprise that both the boys enjoyed, for a break from the winter blues.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
0.1 km away
1.7 km away
Courtyard Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
#6 of 18 in Middletown

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown? Share your experiences!