“very nice bordering on fancy”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“very nice bordering on fancy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

this hotel is actually a positive surprise. For me, a holiday inn express is reliable and priced right but usually without some of the nicer touches of a more expensive hotel. That is fine by me because I am usually looking for a convenient location at a decent price and clean. I use the room to sleep and shower. So if the bed is comfortable, the shower is hot, the ac/heat unit works and isn't noisy, and the tv is decent and has some channels to choose from, I am happy. Admittedly, that is not a vey ambitious list for a hotel. This hotel has all these things. It also has some nice touches too: like two types of pillows, a really nice breakfast and a clean new feel. Not that the place is unappealling from the outside but nicer than I expected on the inside. The front desk person told me the hotel was just renovated, and you could tell because everything looked new. I also like the internet in the room because it was available both hardwire and wireless. My wireless broke on my computer while I was travelling and plugging in made life a lot easier. Before I checked in, not knowing about the hard wire connection, I looked in on the business center to see if I could use that and it was totally adequate. Two up to date computers and a free printer. My room rate was thinke $79 and I think all that is a good deal for the money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

this hotel is located in Middletown ri right outside of Newport and shares land with a chilis restaurant. I think it is a very nice place to stay based on the price which was extremely reasonable and the location which is probably as good as it gets in Middletown. The room that I stayed in had just been renovated and I mean just been renovated. The woman at the fron desk told me that I was the first person to stay in it because the work had just finished the day before. The renovation is stylish and comfortable and the room has all the little things you expect in a nice hotel like a flat screen tv, triple sheeted bed, free wifi ...The hotel also had a pool and excercise room which I did not use but that both looked nice. Finally, the free breakfast is a real full breakfast not just some pretend going through the motions type thing. A very nice feature.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Bristol, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel a couple of times after Newport St. Patrick's Day parades. We only stayed one night each time, but we always had a very good experience. It's a great place if you want to be just outside of all the Newport tourism. There are various chain restaurants in the area, and it's right on a main road so there are grocery stores and other places to shop if you need anything. The hotel was very clean, the rooms were large (we stayed in one of the standard rooms and had more than enough space), and we had no problems with noise. Friendly staff, checked us in very quickly. Plenty of parking if you have your car. The room also came with a continental breakfast. Not gourmet, but definitely a great "free" breakfast (they had a good variety of foods). There is a pool: we never used it, but it looked clean and the pool area was very calm. We had no problems or concerns with this hotel at all - it was a great stay, and we would definitely come here again!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Clinton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed a great room and breakfast.

Room Tip: Look in the New England hotel mag for good discounts in Newport RI.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in Sept. in the King. Exec. Suite. Nice bedroom, separate living room with micro and fridge. Nice size bathroom and plenty of closet space. Both rooms had nice flat screen tvs. Decent breakfast. Friendly stay. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple