All reviews front porch loved sitting on the porch paint colors original details air conditioning chose hotel great ac sister hotel the main desk bathroom mirror lovely hotel anniversary dinner claw foot tub raw bar room wasn't ready two queens restaurant downstairs
Reviewed 28 August 2018

It is a lovely hotel, staff wonderful and accommodating, room great! Overall, great visit. Upon arrival room was ready before check-in, room was clean and warm, restaurant raw bar was amazing. Easily accessible to town.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2018

First, let me qualify with 2/5 rating by saying this is a lovely hotel and my review is specific to my experience. We booked the room for a weekend after Trip Advisor told me it was the only room available on the island. Yes, this was a late, impulsive decision. The only room at the only vacancy was a room for 4 so the price was high. The island is lovely and the ferry quite comfortable. On the first day (Friday) we arrived, I noticed a small amount of cold water dripping on my head. Yes, the A/C was over the bed and closest to the night stand with the only reading light. I immediately notified (in person) the charming young British student working stateside for the summer. She said someone would look at it. We returned a few hours later and the dripping was still a regular occurrence. Not frequent mind you, but every 15 min. or so a glob of cold water landed on my head. I returned to the attractive young desk attendant; she said housecleaning had wiped it down. I explained there was essentially no change. No one ever contacted me or explained a plan for the next 2 days (of course, the inn was full). The staff continued to assure me that they were aware of the problem, so I anticipated some action. As I complained Sat. night, she (this time) assured me that the owner had been notified (where were they?) but I never was contacted and nothing changed.

Now there were 2 beds but both my wife and I had reading and I had some work on my laptop -- and the beds adjacent to the center table were the only place to work comfortably. I draped a towel over my head (it was pretty effective) and when I finished, I crawled into the other bed. (Ah! Marital bliss.). Now we do usually seek out slightly more "edgy" (inns, bnbs) places but we have stayed at many luxury hotels across several continents. I would have expected some kind of more effective response for $599 PER night, or at least a call or e-mail, but there was nothing. After we left, I received a form e-mail letter thanking me for choosing the Manisses and asking for me to share my experience on Trip Advisor. Noted.

Clearly, if we return to Block Island, I will plan further ahead and find a better fit. The luxury amenities at the Manisses -- classy bar, restaurant, nice clawfoot tub, great location, pretty garden -- mean something but there was nothing really special in the experience. It was clear to me that the staff was clearly instructed to respond to complaints with a smile and a polite "we understand" -- but to promise or deliver nothing. The owner of the palace was probably in Thailand or Cap d'Antibes. Just reporting the facts -- with only a minimum of snark.

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

This is a very elegant and clean hotel boutique. It is very well decorated, peaceful and staff are very polite and customer friendly. The most are mostly from South Africa or near that continent. It definitely is a nice quiet place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the central shopping area. My wife and I enjoyed the restaurant every evening, along with the outside sitting near the garden. The only downfall is the boutique is not handicap friendly and if staying on the 3rd floor be prepared to hike your luggage upstairs. The rooms are small, but very comfortable with air conditioning. I highly recommend this as a place to stay and we will definitely be coming back.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2018

My wife and I just completed a trip to Block Island and stayed at The Hotel Manisses for three nights. The room was small but was very clean and had a large shower, mini fridge, a safe, and a flat screen television. The ductless air conditioning system was very effective and quiet. We ate at the hotel restaurant our first night and the service was excellent and the meal was delicious. All of the hotel employees were friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is great as it is just up the hill from the village and a very short walk to the restaurants, shops, and beaches. I do recommend staying during the week as opposed to the weekend as the rate is much lower and the island is less crowded. Elderly travelers may want to request a room on the first floor as there is no elevator in the hotel and the walk up to the second floor may be a challenge.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rlee2000
Reviewed 5 August 2018

Excellent hotel just 17 rooms and close to all shops and restaurants. Very nice rooms with all amenities, great restaraunt at the hotel and nice bar. Short ferry ride from Newport R.I. Sister hotel to Ballard’s on the beach. This hotel is a favorite hang out. Beach, bar and food.

Stayed: July 2018