“This hotel could be a gem, but ...”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in York
Washington, DC
“This hotel could be a gem, but ...”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I stayed here is 2008 and wrote this review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g54046-d96920-r15519192-The_Yorktowne_Hotel-York_Pennsylvania.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

This time I also booked on Priceline and got a great rate. I stayed in a king bed room this time. Much smaller room (than the two double beds room), but bathroom was nicer (but still needed some renovations). Seems they haven't put flat panel TVs in all rooms, as my room three years later had an older TV. The front desk staff were very nice and the lobby was elegant. But the rooms are really in need of renovations and upgrades. By doing so, the hotel could really be a true historic gem, instead it reflects poorly on York.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveljunkiegirl
YorktowneHotelGMgr, General Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for your review of the Yorktowne.

I do wish to apologize for the delay in responding to your review. The Yorktowne has gone through a change in ownership. We have now worked out the details with TripAdvisor so that I can respond to reviews.

Our Management Team is thrilled to have new owners who see the same potential that you do.

When you are planning to return to York, please contact me so that I can explain the improvments we are making. Sincerely, Rick Cunningham, General Manager
717-815-2116 (direct line) r.cunningham@yorktowne.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My husband and I were in York for a meeting and ended up at the hotel quite by accident. We had a reservation at a chain hotel near the highway, but it was much further from the meeting location than we expected. As we were driving to the meeting we passed the Yorktowne Hotel. I decided to check it out and began looking at reviews online. Because of some of the comments about the age and shape of the hotel, I called and ask if I could see a couple of their rooms. The staff was amazingly accomadating. When I arrived the director of housekeeping showed me four different rooms. As the hotel is quite old, the rooms are all layed out a bit differently and some have larger bathrooms. I was told that the rooms on the 8th floor had all recently been 'deep cleaned' and spruced up a bit. Each room I saw was great. Very charming, large and clean. The linens were nice, with the blanket totally encased in the sheets and the towels nice and fluffy. I am not a fan of bedspreads at hotels, although this one looked clean and fresh. I always take the bedspread off the bed, fold it and place it in the corner, which is what I did here each day. The bed itself was comfortable with a slight pillowtop mattress. There were plenty of fresh, clean pillows
The staff was great during our entire 3 night stay. The valet team is extremely helpful and efficient. There are two restaurants; one is quite upscale and has won several awards (we did not have a chance to try this one, but hope to next trip) the other is more of a casual coffee/shop place. We ate dinner there the first night and although nothing special, it was fine. I had coffee there each morning and the staff, like everywhere else in the hotel, were great. There is a workout room, which is very adequate and certainly on a par with the tiny workout rooms in any of the typical roadside chain hotels. It could use a little sprucing up, but serves the purpose fine.
Overall we found this hotel to be a welcome change from the look-alike chain offerings. The historical building is beautiful and the management has done a good job modernizing the rooms while maintaining the historical charm and character of the building. Although old, the hotel is clean and well cared for. We hope to stay there on our next trip to York.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a floor that has recently been renovated or deep cleaned.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TerryC0bb
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We visited the hotel for a wedding. Although the wedding which was held in the hotel was beautiful, the hotel rooms itself are in need of attention.
Upon arrival, our room had a stagnant smell as if it had not had any guests in a while. The furniture had a layer of dust and the bedding, as well as the curtains, were not only out of date but heavily used. The room itself was very spacious which was nice for four people to prep for a wedding (we had two double beds, a sofa, and a desk). However the bathroom was very small.
I understand the hotel is a piece of history and it should be preserved, however an upgrade to the overall establishment could make this average hotel a true gem.
The staff was wonderful, and the wedding facilities were gorgeous! We really enjoyed our stay, the service, and the wedding but would love to see some love put into the hotel to bring out its true potential.

Room Tip: Although there is a hotel bar, The White Rose bar and restaurant is a short walk away and a great pl...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bucation
Monroe Twp, NJ
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This was my second stay at the Yorktowne Hotel (the first time made me want to come back). This time I brought my husband and we both had a wonderful stay (w/o 12/5/11). There were beautiful holiday decorations in the charming hotel lobby, a friendly and very accomodating staff , quaint rooms with very comfortable beds, 2 fabulous restaurants (one very formal and the other less pricey with a nice view of the city streets), a great workout room, and super easy valet parking. The proximity to many of the factory tours (York seems to be the factory tour capital of the world) was great and we found a lot to do in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor -- the view of the city at night is awesome!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JKfromNJ
MichelleGuests, Public Relations Manager at The Yorktowne Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2011
Thank you so much for your return visit to The Yorktowne! We are so happy that you brought your husband on this trip so you could enjoy the hotel and the city as a couple. The Yorktowne is charming year-round - but always seems to have a special sparkle during the holiday season!

We are thrilled that you had another wonderful stay with us - enjoying the comfy beds, our fabulous restaurants and the convenience of our valet parking. Yes, one of the benefits of our location is that you can enjoy all of the wonderful shops and entertainment downtown - but also be close to all of the surrounding attractions such as the York factory tours.

Before your next visit to York be sure to check out the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center - they bring in wonderful artists and entertainers! Also, if you come during baseball season - we have a fabulous local baseball team and the stadium is within walking distance of the hotel!

Thank you again for your return visit and for sharing your positive experience with others on TripAdvisor! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Yorktowne to get away from Hurricane Irene. It was a really nice little getaway for us. The staff was really nice when we checked in super late. They were also considerate of the fact that we had our cat with us.

The hotel is really quaint and old fashioned. It's kind of like stepping back in time when you walk in the lobby. There is character everywhere and vintage touches. The room we stayed in was really spacious. We even had a little kitchenette and a living room.

The atmosphere of the adjoining restaurant is a little more modern than the rest of the hotel. The food was absolutely wonderful. The salad I ordered there was one of the best I've ever tasted. Which is really saying something since it was just a salad.

The staff was really nice when our fridge froze some of our produce. We called down and right away they offered to move us to another room. We declined so they offered us a free meal in the restaurant. The waitress told us to get whatever we wanted. They were concerned about making things right and it made us feel special.

This is a historical hotel so keep that in mind regarding your room. If you're looking for brand new and modern then this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for charm and vintage this is for you. The rooms are outdated and some of the bedding is too. But heck, it's not advisable to walk on the carpet/lay on the comforters in any hotel, I don't care how new and swanky it is.

The nearby shops were quaint too as the hotel is located in the downtown area of York. It's a sleepy little town with some craft/handmade goods type shops. I bought some amazing handmade soap from the Sunrise Soap Company right down the street.

To put it plainly, my husband and I stayed in 12 hotels this past year for business. We had some silly problems with places like Hilton that should have been more customer friendly. And though the room in our hotel wasn't the most modern and up-to-date, my husband and I have really good memories from our stay there. The staff made us feel really special which is more than I can say for some other huge corporate-owned places. We would go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple