“Wonderful Surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Williamsport
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

After reading the reviews my husband and I were concerned about staying at this property. We could not find another vacancy in the Williamsport area for the night we needed so we decided to make the reservation, check the room and if not acceptable drive back to Pittsburgh after the family party.
We were lucky that we were scheduled for a renovated room, it was beautiful and very clean. My sister and her family were in an older suite that does need renovated but it was clean and not terrible like others have said about the older rooms.
The free breakfast was good with plenty of selections.....again I don't understand all the complaints.
The front desk personnel were friendly and professional we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.....it was a Wonderful Surprise!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool were quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Hotel is currently in the condition of a one star property. They are doing renovations, but in it's current state it is certainly not worth the $100 per night I paid to stay there. When I arrived there was no one at the desk. I waited for about ten minutes. When the host returned he was friendly but there was no apology for the wait. Usually best western is a great value but in this case I'm not impressed.

• Stayed September 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

The room wasn't ready when I came to check in even though it was after check in time. There is construction everywhere that is loud and dirty. However, the worst part was how filthy the room was. It was non smoking but had obviously been a smoking room in the past because it was yellowed and dingy with smoke. There were crumbs between the beds, someone else's pill box was poking out from underneath the bed, the notepad they left had coffee rings on it, the Customer survey dried coffee spilt all over it! The decorative pillows had grime and stains on them. One bed felt damp, the other had black hairs all in the sheets when I pulled back the covers. The bathroom tile was covered in mildew/mold. The water was only scalding hot, the cold did not work at all. I could not even take a shower. The room had a smell. There were fruit flies milling around (I have no idea where they came from). There is a 1/4" gap around the door so you can hear everyone outside as if they were in your room. The free internet didn't work, and I was told to call a helpline who said they would call me back and never did. I was barely able to sleep. I was hesitant to eat somewhere where the rooms were so disgusting but I did want juice so I went to the breakfast. They were out of OJ and the apple juice was disgustingly watered down. There was just a vat of scrambled eggs, with the scooper in an ice bucket and a vat of sausage I think. Maybe the "good" breakfast is only on the weekends? The pool is tiny. The hallways are dark. The man at the front desk in the morning was very pleasant but I didn't even have the energy to tell him how horrible the experience was. I cannot believe they actually rented that room to me. I doubt the cleaning person even changed the sheets. I am disgusted
The only positive: I did not see signs of bedbugs (fingers crossed I did not pick any up)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stellarxpurr
iannarino, Manager at BEST WESTERN Williamsport Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Nicole Iannarino
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed here while in town for a family reunion for two nights. Let me start with the positive: Rooms were large, outdoor pool was small but the kids enjoyed it, the rate was cheaper than most of the other hotels in the direct vicinity (though still way overpriced at $125 including a rollaway), you could make your own waffles at breakfast.. This is an older hotel, they are in the process of updating which means that there is construction going on and piles of dirt everywhere. The room was large but a bit outdated. The beds were not comfortable, on one of them we had to put the top sheet over the fitted sheet b/c it was so pilled. The tub was obviously one of those overlays, everytime you stepped it moved up and down, it was very hard to get the water the right temperature and if someone used the sink it became scalding hot. All of the doors face the outside (no interior hallways), at 2 am we were woken up by screaming, swearing and fighting and someone being slammed into our door, pretty scary for my small kids. Oh, and don't leave ANYTHING on the bed if you want housekeeping to change your sheets. Apparantly the policy is that they are not allowed to touch or move personal belongings and the only thing we left on the bed were our pillows from home and the kids stuffed animals. The maid was very nice in explaining this to us though.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gandycat
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Although I inspected the room upon checking in I saw no signs of bed bugs. This is a habit of mine since the epidemic started. Was there for 2 nights and on the second morning, I discovered and killed 2 bed bugs in the bed. I actually took them in a tissue to the front desk where the clerk said he didn't understand because they exterminate weekly. This may have been what is termed low level infestation but it is still bed bugs. Needless to say I arrived home with a ton of work facing me to prevent infestation of my home. Since I travel a lot for my job, I am somewhat schooled in the bed bug problem hotels are dealing with but to my knowledge have never been exposed. This was a scary experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Richy31
iannarino, Manager at BEST WESTERN Williamsport Inn, responded to this review, 14 December 2010
I would like to state that all of our hotel staff has been trained in how to identify bed bugs and to take the proper precautions. Any time that a bed bug may be reported weather they are in the room or not we immediately call pest control to come and take care of the situation.