“Could have been a 5.”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2017

One of a small chain of fine dining restaurants. The NE clam chowder had more clams than potato, but was a bit spicy. Of the 2 prime rib portions, one was medium as requested while the other was supposed to be rare but came out medium rare. The filet mignon was prepared as requested (medium rare throughout) and was served Oscar style, with lots of crab meat and very little hollandaise sauce, which was a plus for me. The creamed spinach was very good, and the baked beans had a nice smoky flavor. We were seated in the outer tier where the noise from other guests speaking made conversation very difficult at best, which is why I did not score it higher. Perhaps the central dining area has better sound-dampening, but I couldn't tell. For the birthday celebrant at our table they served a complimentary sundae (vanila ice crean + chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a cherry; we all shared it.

1  Thank Neodoc1848
Pete D, Owner at Austin's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Neodoc1848, thanks for the very nice review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed pretty much everything on your visit although we would have loved for it to have been perfect. In regards to the loudness, we have definitely tried to put as much sound paneling throughout as possible but when we get busy, it can get loud. If you ever want to sit in any specific area of the restaurant, please don't hesitate to request that when you arrive. We look forward to seeing you again. Sincerely, Pete DiCarlo. Director of Operations/Owner.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Austins has been around for a long time in the Reading ,Pa. area. Went there recently for dinner and had a very good meal. Ordered Pulled Pork and a Sirloin Cheese Burger fixed my way. I LOVE their cole slaw. Soup not as hot as I wanted it to be but passable. It's a little on the noisy side but what large restaurant isn't. They also serve a loaf of warm bread with butter you can slice yourself. We don't eat their regularly...once in awhile...there are other places I would go on a more regular basis.

1  Thank Clive E
Pete D, Owner at Austin's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Clive, thanks for the very nice review. Happy to hear that we are one of your places that you can always count on when you want a great meal & great service. Hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Pete DiCarlo. Director of Operations/Owner.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Austin's has a great variety of excellent food, but at the end of the day, for me at least, it's all about the meat. They truly have the best ribs I've ever tasted and the balance of the menu is also recommendable. If you prefer seafood or chicken, you're also in for a treat. The Crab Cakes are extraordinary, and the Chicken Oscar is to die for. So ... do yourself a favor and stop by Austin's. It's sometimes hard to get seated right away, so remember, they also do a great job with take out. Enjoy!

Pete D, Owner at Austin's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Gibbled371, thanks for the great review! You are so right about the ribs. Best Ribs Anywhere is right. We look forward to your next visit and don't forget that we do take reservations if you don't want to wait. Sincerely, Pete DiCarlo. Director of Operations/Owner.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Food was cold filet mignon was ordered med rare came out well done twice. Asked for a martini cold straight and up w 2 olives and received warm vodka in a cordial glass with 2 olives. Horrible experience 45 minute wait for searing and 1 hour be for first piece of well done filet was delivered to the table. Absolutely one of the worst dining experiences I encountered. I attempted two other times the second as a second chance, vowing never to return. The third after a friend begged me to go. Same results lousy food , lousy service.I DO NOT RECOMMEND eating or dining there not even for your dog.

Pete D, General Manager at Austin's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

SocArmyBird, my name is Tammy Stamm and I'm the General Manager of Austin's. I am stunned to hear about your experience because as you can see with our reviews we pride ourselves on great food an great service. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about this experience as well as your previous experiences. If you would be so kind to call me at 610-678-5500 or send your contact information to jbdawsons@yahoo.com I would be grateful. Sincerely, Tammy.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stopped in for an early dinner yesterday afternoon, on 8/9/17. My wife had never been, so I did the honor and ordered for her. I order 2 ribeyes that were marinated with ginger, soy sauce, and pineapple sauce. She said it was just like in the Philippines only better. The mashed potatoes were good. We also order the baked beans and coleslaw. We found the slaw to be dry, needed more mayo maybe. The steaks just melted in your mouth. I order the corn bread. What a treat that is. Very well made. I highly recommend it.

Pete D, Owner at Austin's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Whandforth, thanks for the very nice review. So glad to hear that you loved everything & I will make sure that the cole slaw is being made properly. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Pete DiCarlo. Director of Operations/Owner.