“Excellent Choice Very Near I-81”
Review of La Isla Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Isla Restaurant
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Driving north on I-81, my brother and I decided to pull off during the evening for a quick bite. We weren't too enthusiastic believing we would be met with the usual suspects upon exiting the highway. Much to our surprise, we drove only about 5 minutes and found ourselves in the heart of the city. We encountered this gem at the first set of traffic lights.

This is not a fancy place (to put it mildly) and it appeared that most of the patrons were regulars. In any case, we examined the choices behind the glass and made our selections. The very friendly server refused to sell us chicken as she explained that, at that hour, it was mostly bones that remained in the pan. Fair enough. We elected to feast on beef, rice, vegetables and noodles. Each dish was better than the last. We cleaned our plates.

Our bill was a whopping $20 for both meals. I am no expert on Cuban or Dominican dishes and neither is my brother. All I can say is that we were very, very pleased with La Isla and will be making it a point to eat there again when heading up the 81.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We are new to PA, so when a neighbor told us about a Spanish Restaurant, we had to check it out. when we pulled up to the establishment we were a little taken back with the size and location. but once you enter the door and smell the food , everything feels like Home cooking. the place has about 8 tables and it is always busy, a lot of people coming in to pick up take out orders. but when you finally get your food , OH My Heaven" Everything is DELICIOUS....I have been back on a few occasions to eat and to get take out orders..... Thanks for the Great Food..

Reviewed 3 October 2015 via mobile

It's not the atmosphere...it's the food, you can tell by the take out crowd that is non-stop.
We had hreat, friendly service,despite being very busy.

Try their special plates...we had the pernil (pulled pork for two) here's my only complaint: with a meal for two, bring two bowls of beans, they pork & rice were abundant but not enough beans for 2 men to eat!.... still the pork was so delicious!

Our guest had the sampler plate of the chicharron (fried pork) & chicken chunk w sweet & green plantain.

They ran out of soup, would have loved it, it was so cold/rainy. They only had a small portion of their natural juices so we skipped it...next time.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Was here with a Dominican friend. One of his favorite local spots. The food was outstanding! Rice was cooked perfectly, beans were tender and savory while bold in regionally authentic spices. I also had the pernil and chicharron (a pork dish with crispy skin). It is to die for. What made my day was the house made drinks! I had the passion-fruit variety. The staff was sweet and caring. Being a certified chef and restaurant owner myself I am often harsh on restaurants; but I am telling you, this is one you must try! I will return when visiting Hazleton

1  Thank 202andrews