“Not worth a second visit”

The Washington Winery
Ranked #10 of 18 things to do in Washington
More attraction details
Owner description: The Washington Winery is an urban winery located in historic downtown Washington, PA. High quality, hand-selected California grapes are used to craft our varietals, including Cabernet, Zinfandel, Chardonnay & Riesling. To complement our varietals, we also offer an array of light, sweet fruit wines. Visit us on Wednesdays thru Saturdays and try some of our 11 wines on tap. Check our calendar for upcoming events & classes. Cheers!
Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

Stopped in on black Friday for wine tasting since I had never been there.
The woman that served my friend and myself started out friendly but it didn't last.
We were told we could try any 4 for $2 from a list that we were given.
The first strike against us was when I asked if the fruit wines were the real fruit or were they flavored wines.
We were told that they start with a "grape base" and add fruit juice and flavoring.
And they do that bcuz " they found that using the real fruit causes the wine to be bitter".
I am a fruit wine drinker and quite honestly, I have never found a fruit wine to be bitter from the actual fruit when it is used to make the wine.
The second strike against us came when we asked to try the peach wine that wasn't on the list.
All we were told was "no".
There wasn't any explanation and I am assuming since they have their wines on tap, that was not one of them.
That being said, I told them I don't buy wine I can't try and I'm pretty sure they were offended.
Wasn't going to try for strike 3 so we bought 1 bottle each and left.
Needless to say I won't waste my time driving there again.
Pennsylvania has plenty of wineries where the staff treat you with respect and make you feel welcome. This is not one of them.

Angela M, Owner at The Washington Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Hello hasuer67. Thank you for visiting our winery. I am the owner and I briefly spoke with you on Friday. I did not spend a lot of time chatting with you and your friend, as I have a terrible cold/cough and did not think it appropriate to engage with customers. Due to my cold, I need to clarify our discussion. I said that we use a grape base and add real fruits to our wines to make them fuller body and "better" in our opinion. I apologize that you heard me say bitter. I agree with you -- wines made from fruit alone are not bitter! We prefer a fuller body wine and adding grapes to the fruit during fermentation gives our wines more body. We also sweeten the fruit wines with natural fruit juices. I wish I would have spent more time with you talking about our wines. We take pride in our products and I would be happy to answer any other questions that you may have. Thank you.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Welcomed to wine tasting.....every wine we tasted was very good. The owners were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the wines. The store was very well stocked with wine accessories. Angela recommended lunch at Upper Crust....we ordered and they delivered so we could continue having a glass of wine. Very nice way to spend an afternoon.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

We stopped in Washington, PA for lunch while traveling on July 4th weekend. We noticed a sign on the street advertising "Wine slushies $5.00". So, we decided to stop in and check in out. The wine slushie was great and then we tasted some wine too! We ended up buying several bottles of their white and red wine. Angela was a great hostess and we hope to stop in again when we travel that way later this year!

Reviewed 24 June 2016

We stopped in after seeing the location from the road. The staff are very friendly and willing to discuss their winery. They offer wine tasting of their various wines. They have some interesting fruit wines as well as more traditional reds and whites. They were all good and we ended up purchasing 6 bottles. A nice souvenir from our cross country trip from CA. Their also sell winery supplies and brew several beers.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 February 2016

We didn't know this winery existed until 6 months ago. It has been here for a while. One day my wife and I went out a winery run which we do often throughout the year. We like to plan a visit to travel to local wineries that we didn't know existed.

The ladies at the winery were very helpful on providing us a breakdown of the different wines that is offered at the winery. All of the wine that we tried were decent. I only liked a couple different wines. We met a woman who owns Reeces Winery in McDonald, PA which was part of the tour later on in the afternoon.

Overall this is a pretty decent place to visit. I recommend it.