“Nice little hotel, great restaurant”
Review of Stone Bridge Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Dale
Stone Bridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Union Dale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I spent the weekend at Stone Bridge when we were in the area visiting our son at camp. The hotel was nicely located and easy to find. Our check in was quick and easy, since the property only has a dozen rooms. We were booked into room 7, which is on the second floor and looks out the rear of the inn. No view to speak of.
The place is quaint, although started to seem a bit dated. There are two things about the hotel that were least enjoyed was 1) the inability to get our room to a comfortable temperature. The air conditioning unit did not seem to have a thermostat, so no matter what temperature range you selected, it just ran really cold. And since it was an older unit, it caused my husband some respiratory problems, likely due to it's age, perhaps old filter and the fact that it ran and ran. And 2) the building has a marked musty smell to it. Sort of reminded me of an old damp basement. Our room itself was fine, but the common area where they serve continental breakfast really needed a dehumidifier to address this problem.
The real gem of this property is it's restaurant. Here you are in the middle of no where, and it's menu was top notch. We ate here both nights we stayed and got the chance to try several of the appetizers and entrees. I was not disappointed by anything. Our favorites were the beef tournedos and the roasted duck. Both perfectly done and delicious. We actually ate in the pub both nights where they serve the full restaurant menu. We thought it was more relaxing and casual to sit at the bar rather than in the main dining room. The bartender Ryan was great! We enjoyed our conversations with him and his attention to service was fantastic.
Overall, this was a nice little place and I would recommend it for a short weekend getaway. If they address the musty problem and dated air conditioning units, I would consider giving it an excellent rating.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DelcoMom

Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is our favorite getaway place when we're in the Endless Mountains. The staff is frielndly, helpful and feel like old friends... the restaurant is nice with a unique selection.. but our favorite is the tavern...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank denisehurley67
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I've stayed here several times - all during ski season, and have always enjoyed my stay. The European ambiance of the inn is especially inviting and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I particularly love the rooms with fireplaces. A continental breakfast is served and gets you off to a good start on the slopes. I only wish they would put coffee makers and small refrigerators in the rooms; a microwave somewhere in office or living room would be nice too. The tavern is not open every nite, but when it is, one can enjoy an apres ski drink and burger without going up the road. The place is always my first choice for an overnite at Elk and I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SkierhikerGal
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We came for a wedding and were told to book early because there are few places to stay in this area. We are so glad we did. We stayed in a room on the back side, lower level of the inn. Saturday was a beautiful summer day and I was able to sit in a chair on the grassy area overlooking wildflowers and rolling hills. You can only find that kind of quiet in very few places.
It was a serene, beautiful spot. The inn was nice- room a little small but definitely OK. Everything was very clean. The staff was GREAT. I slept in too late for the continental breakfast, and the staff was cleaning up when I came in. They cheerfully put everything back out, and welcomed me as if I was a guest at their own home.
The only thing I really missed was a clock in the room. Also, if you book the same room (ask when you book it), be aware you have to walk down an outside staircase (if you have difficulty with stairs). If you want peace and quiet and very nice staff and owner, come here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Slightlypickytravele
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We were visiting our daughter at camp, and reserved room #6 at the Stone Bridge Inn. We received a written confirmation of our reservation of this room .The room in the reservation is equipped with a sleeping loft as well as a double bed. Because my husband has restless leg syndrome, we cannot share a double bed. I called ahead (around 3 pm) to let the inn know we would be arriving late, but was assured by the manager of the restaurant (who was answering the phone for the owner(s)) not to be concerned and that he would be able to get into the office to provide us with our keys. We arrived around 5, and were given the keys, not to our reserved room (#6) but rather, to room #7. However, room #7 was equipped only with a double bed. When I looked at my written room confirmation, I realized we had been given the wrong room. When we went back to the restaurant manager to inform him that we had been given the wrong room, he said he could not change us to room #6 as stipulated by our reservation because it was already occupied by "other guests". He said he could not reach the owners, and would not give us any phone number so that we could reach them ourselves. The restaurant manager said he would put an air mattress on the floor for us. We did not think this would be comfortable, and ended up driving an hour all the way back to Scranton to spend the night in another hotel,which was (needless to say) much less convenient to our daughter's camp. The two hours driving back and forth was precious time we did not have to spend with our daughter. The owners of the inn never even called us to apologize about the switch. This hotel has very explicit policies about charging your credit card, if you (the guest) cancel your reservation (they charge a deposit of one night's stay or one-half the lodging total, whichever is greater). You would think that this hotel (being small ) would care about negative experiences for its guests, but they never even bothered to call us back to apologize or explain why they gave away our room, even though we had written confirmation of our reservation, and called on the way before they gave away our room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank myobe22
sbinn2010, Owner at Stone Bridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2011

I am very sorry that the room switch at our inn caused you such inconvenience last summer. I take total responsibility - I am the one who took your reservation originally, which was for a single person, that being yourself. At the time you made the reservation, the particular room you booked, which has a queen bed and also a loft accessible by a built-in ladder with a double bed in it, was the only room left available. As I recall, you would have been ok with a regular queen size room since you were a single, but went ahead and booked the loft room so you would have a place to stay. We had no way of knowing that your situation had changed from being one guest, as it also read on your confirmation, to two guests requiring two beds. Consequently, I never imagined that switching you to a regular queen room would become a problem. We had a family of three looking for a room and a queen room open from a cancellation, so I thought it made sense to put you in the queen room and them in the loft room. I should have checked with you beforehand - that was my mistake and I sincerely apologize for not doing so. You mention our cancellation policy - that is something that a lodging property simply must have in some form - but we make many exceptions on a regular basis, and we certainly never charged you anything. Since the room did not suit your needs and you didn't stay with us, I felt that not charging you anything was the appropriate gesture as well as an implicit apology. In the end, we were left with an empty room that we could have booked to numerous other guests, so hopefully we have learned from our mistakes.

Been to Stone Bridge Inn? Share your experiences!