See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This is our favorite getaway place when we're in the Endless Mountains. The staff is frielndly, helpful and feel like old friends... the restaurant is nice with a unique selection.. but our favorite is the tavern...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank denisehurley67
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I've stayed here several times - all during ski season, and have always enjoyed my stay. The European ambiance of the inn is especially inviting and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I particularly love the rooms with fireplaces. A continental breakfast is served and gets you off to a good start on the slopes. I only wish they would put coffee makers and small refrigerators in the rooms; a microwave somewhere in office or living room would be nice too. The tavern is not open every nite, but when it is, one can enjoy an apres ski drink and burger without going up the road. The place is always my first choice for an overnite at Elk and I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SkierhikerGal
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We came for a wedding and were told to book early because there are few places to stay in this area. We are so glad we did. We stayed in a room on the back side, lower level of the inn. Saturday was a beautiful summer day and I was able to sit in a chair on the grassy area overlooking wildflowers and rolling hills. You can only find that kind of quiet in very few places.
It was a serene, beautiful spot. The inn was nice- room a little small but definitely OK. Everything was very clean. The staff was GREAT. I slept in too late for the continental breakfast, and the staff was cleaning up when I came in. They cheerfully put everything back out, and welcomed me as if I was a guest at their own home.
The only thing I really missed was a clock in the room. Also, if you book the same room (ask when you book it), be aware you have to walk down an outside staircase (if you have difficulty with stairs). If you want peace and quiet and very nice staff and owner, come here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Slightlypickytravele
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We were visiting our daughter at camp, and reserved room #6 at the Stone Bridge Inn. We received a written confirmation of our reservation of this room .The room in the reservation is equipped with a sleeping loft as well as a double bed. Because my husband has restless leg syndrome, we cannot share a double bed. I called ahead (around 3 pm) to let the inn know we would be arriving late, but was assured by the manager of the restaurant (who was answering the phone for the owner(s)) not to be concerned and that he would be able to get into the office to provide us with our keys. We arrived around 5, and were given the keys, not to our reserved room (#6) but rather, to room #7. However, room #7 was equipped only with a double bed. When I looked at my written room confirmation, I realized we had been given the wrong room. When we went back to the restaurant manager to inform him that we had been given the wrong room, he said he could not change us to room #6 as stipulated by our reservation because it was already occupied by "other guests". He said he could not reach the owners, and would not give us any phone number so that we could reach them ourselves. The restaurant manager said he would put an air mattress on the floor for us. We did not think this would be comfortable, and ended up driving an hour all the way back to Scranton to spend the night in another hotel,which was (needless to say) much less convenient to our daughter's camp. The two hours driving back and forth was precious time we did not have to spend with our daughter. The owners of the inn never even called us to apologize about the switch. This hotel has very explicit policies about charging your credit card, if you (the guest) cancel your reservation (they charge a deposit of one night's stay or one-half the lodging total, whichever is greater). You would think that this hotel (being small ) would care about negative experiences for its guests, but they never even bothered to call us back to apologize or explain why they gave away our room, even though we had written confirmation of our reservation, and called on the way before they gave away our room.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank myobe22
sbinn2010, Owner at Stone Bridge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2011

I am very sorry that the room switch at our inn caused you such inconvenience last summer. I take total responsibility - I am the one who took your reservation originally, which was for a single person, that being yourself. At the time you made the reservation, the particular room you booked, which has a queen bed and also a loft accessible by a built-in ladder with a double bed in it, was the only room left available. As I recall, you would have been ok with a regular queen size room since you were a single, but went ahead and booked the loft room so you would have a place to stay. We had no way of knowing that your situation had changed from being one guest, as it also read on your confirmation, to two guests requiring two beds. Consequently, I never imagined that switching you to a regular queen room would become a problem. We had a family of three looking for a room and a queen room open from a cancellation, so I thought it made sense to put you in the queen room and them in the loft room. I should have checked with you beforehand - that was my mistake and I sincerely apologize for not doing so. You mention our cancellation policy - that is something that a lodging property simply must have in some form - but we make many exceptions on a regular basis, and we certainly never charged you anything. Since the room did not suit your needs and you didn't stay with us, I felt that not charging you anything was the appropriate gesture as well as an implicit apology. In the end, we were left with an empty room that we could have booked to numerous other guests, so hopefully we have learned from our mistakes.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

We just returned from a short weekend stay at the Stone Bridge Inn for what was supposed to be peak foliage viewing. The inn is situated at the base of Elk Mountain with some spectacular views. The Inn’s architecture is loosely based on a European ski chalet. We had a small room, (hence the term European) on the second floor of the Inn. The rooms are clean but in serious need of some updating. The Smithsonian Institute has probably asked for the in-room television to be returned for the ancient TV collections. The room is dimly lit which adds to the shabbiness of the décor.

Nevertheless, with some updated wallpaper and some new bathroom furnishings, a couple of new lampshades and some compact fluorescent bulbs, a visitor might actually be able to read in bed and feel a bit more comfortable. The continental breakfast is sparse: with coffee, tea, juice, an Entenmann’s Danish cut into 12 microscopic slices and some English muffins. The common room is clean and comfortable.

The Inn provides visitors with access to a hot tub, indoor pool and game room, which is pleasant but in desperate need of some TLC, paint and a good scrubbing. The pool is located a short walk down a path from the Inn so if you are visiting in the cooler months, a sweat suit is a must.

The Inn also has an adjoining restaurant and tavern. The food preparation at the restaurant is quite good with plentiful portions, a reasonably priced wine list, and considerable dining choices. The Tavern is small and in need of a TV upgrade too. Trying to watch a sporting event on the TV was challenging but maybe I am spoiled by too many HDTVs in our local bars. The service was excellent in both the tavern and restaurant and considering there are not many other restaurants in close proximity that is a good thing.

I think with a couple of gallons of paint, some new décor, updated carpeting, and some general improvements, the Stone Bridge Inn could be a 4 star place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple