“Great Service Awesome Beer Great Food Stop Here!”

Barley Creek Brewing Company
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Tannersville
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood, Steakhouse, Brew Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Description: American Brewpub - Breakfast at "The Morning Toast" 8:01am to 11:00. Lunch at 11:01 till late night. Outdoor dinning Sunday @ 4:00 pm up at our Pint Size Park. We also do a lot of catering! Did we mention we are a microbrewery and a craft distillery! We make beer, spirits, breakfast, lunch and dinner. All fun and about as good as it gets.
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I have been in the hospitality industry 30 plus years and now I am a food establishment inspector and this place wowed me on every level except one. I ordered a lemon drop martini and it was made with lemonade not lemon juice. Seated quickly food amazing and we are headed back for breakfast tomorrow. Staff super friendly and decor very cute. So per clean restrooms which tells me someone is paying attention. Carry on folks great experience!

1  Thank mmitch8715
Trip R, Owner at Barley Creek Brewing Company, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Hi mmitch8715,

That is one of my favorite reviews of all time. "Great Service Awesome Beer Great Food Stop Here!" .... Wonderful shout out!!!

There will be a bartenders meeting ASAP on how to make a lemon drop martini and I look forward to telling the team about your review. Will definitely keep up the good work because it's reviews like yours that makes this fun! Cheers. Trip

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 7 March 2017

We ate dinner here on a Sunday night. We found the prices to be a little high and the food was just ok. We had the chicken, bacon ranch pizza and lobster mac and cheese. The pizza was good, but the lobster mac and cheese really had no flavor at all, and for $24 we were very unsatisfied with it. We had higher expectations for this place as we had heard good things, but were not impressed.

Hi Lisa B,
Thanks for your review. The Lobster Mac & Cheese is tough one from a seasoning perspective. We are working on our Spring Menu and your comments will certainly be part of the mix in that "what needs to be done" discussion. Thanks. I'm glad the Pizza worked out - I'll let Roy, our pizza guru know his station got a shout out.

Cheers - Trip

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Fooled for the second time by Barley Creek. Last year, we stopped on our way to the nearby waterpark, and waited FOREVER for someone to take our order, then waited what seemed like an eternity for the food to come out and then dined on our subpar meal, making us late for the time we could have gone into the park. We just chalked it up to an off day, and gave them the benefit of the doubt. This year, we decided to try again, because of the restaurant's convenient location. Big Mistake! Upon arrival-11:15- the waitress told us that we would not be able to order lunch until 11:30 because their breakfast seating orders were backed up. We asked if we could just order breakfast, and she said, no, that they had already started changing over. At 11:30, she came back and told us that she couldn't put in the order for another 15 minutes, but that she would offer us each a free cocktail (ummm..it's 11, and we're with two kids under 8 on the way to the waterpark- no thanks). When we finally got our food, my daughter's order was wrong and my chili was actually chilly. Total meal time- an hour and forty five minutes. Never again!

1  Thank L_LeChat

Hi L_LeChat,

What you described was indeed a bad experience and when you have to wait longer than you should, I know, it just goes from bad to really bad. For your second visit to be a sub-par repeat performance on our part .. the shame is on us - not you. I appreciate that you gave us that second try. The time of day you visited this year was indeed a challenge. It was wicked busy, a bit painful, and it took a long time to recover. We have held an all managers meeting, as a consequence, and came up with a few solutions that I hope will prevent this from happening going forward. I appreciate that you gave us a second chance to make a first impression. As a baseball fan and knowing that that the count is 0 and 2 - I'd welcome the chance for a third swing. The goal would be to hit a home run or at least a single as I've never liked getting a K (or a reverse K)? Either way, Thank you for your review and letting me know - Trip.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Here's the deal: This place is centrally located between a number of indoor water parks and ski slopes and it is one of the few non-chain large restaurants serving all meals. It also has a rustic, log-cabin feel and a bunch of craft beers. Hence, the mediocre food and questionable management goes unpunished. However, we will not be back, and I would urge other TripAdvisor readers to either choose another place or plan accordingly if determined to eat here.

We arrived at exactly 11 having confirmed that lunch service began at that time on Sunday and knowing that we wanted to make our check-in time at a nearby lodge and begin enjoying the activities there. We were informed that the kitchen was still serving breakfast tables, and therefore we couldn't even place our order until 11:30, despite the fact that the servers confirmed that lunch should begin at 11. At 11:30, we were informed that the kitchen was still "switching over" between meals and our order could not be placed until 11:45. Keep in mind we have two hungry, impatient kids at the table. When our food finally arrived, the Firehouse Chili was much closer to room-temperature, and the French Onion soup had approximately three small pieces of onion. The other meals were adequate. It was an unfortunately frustrating beginning to a family trip. Our waitress was apologetic throughout and we were appreciative for her attentive service, but the overall experience was a (not inexpensive) disappointment.

1  Thank teacherNEPA

Hi teacherNEPA,

I hope it's never to late to learn from a good teacher. Thanks for your review. Please accept my personal apology. We did not put on a good show for you and the family. Normally we do so much better. I am glad your waitress salvaged some of the experience.

We started our breakfast concept, The Morning Toast, less than a year ago and it's just beginning to work - One issue you witnessed is flipping the line from Breakfast to Lunch. Historically that task has taken about ten minutes. The day you visited something like nine tables arrived at nearly 11:00am - the end of breakfast. (we serve breakfast till 11:01 ... and, we couldn't handle that plus an early lunch rush plus the "turn to lunch".... And, you got the experience just as you described)

I met with the Managers today and discussed what can be done. We came up with a few ideas I know will help. I opened Barley Creek, NEPA's first microbrewery/restaurant 21 years ago before any water parks, and a favorite life lesson that I think about at time like this can be attributed to Thomas Edison.

"Edison is asked if he is discouraged with it not working and replies cheerfully:
Not at all, for I have learned fifty thousand ways it cannot be done and therefore I am fifty thousand times nearer the final successful experiment."

On behalf of Barley Creek your review helps and we will be working on this until we succeed. Cheers - Trip

Reviewed 6 March 2017

Best meal of our trip to the Poconos.
The Wings were outstanding. Great Nachos, Chili, Burgers.
House brewed beer was very good.

1  Thank S N