“A gem in the Poconos”

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
“A gem in the Poconos”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

A wonderful place to unwind and relax and enjoy the beautiful mountainside lake and comfortable lodge. The meals were great during recent visit, and so were the activities. There were so many friendly staff as well. Saturday night is the best with the orchestra and dancing. I cannot wait to go back again. Michael S.

• Stayed March 2012
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your stay at Skytop. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our staff. We are fortunate to have such a caring group of people at Skytop that are truly concerned with our guests’ well being. They will be delighted to learn that their service did not go unnoticed. Our Grand March on Saturday nights is truly a fun event that must be experienced at least once in a lifetime. I am glad that you had the opportunity to participate and we cannot wait to have you back again.

I hope you have a great summer!

President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Polish first
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in the inn...rooms are larger than the lodge. Everyone was extremely nice, friendly, helpful. Meals were overpriced, and you have to drive 20 or 30 minutes to find more moderate priced restaurants. Facility is very clean, beautifully decorated. I cannot afford to go there very often, but I loved it!

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Riter2b,

Thank you for your comments. I sincerely appreciate you taking time to comment on your Skytop experience. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. I will be sure to extend your kind comments to them. They are always so appreciative of our guests’ observations. I am sorry that you found our meals to be overpriced. I do believe we have an excellent variety of restaurant opportunities. Perhaps on a future stay you can enjoy the Tap Room or the Tea Room rather than our main dining facility.

Thank you for staying at Skytop. Hope you have a great year and see you soon!

North Bellmore, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My family of four really enjoyed our two night stay at SkyTop Lodge. It's like stepping back in time where people dress for dinner. The activities for our children were awesome and my 7 year old tried skiing for the first time. The pool is great. Everyone in our family loved the food. There is a children's menu offered but they could also choose from the adult's menu. The breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing. We thought it was better to order breakfast. DO NOT bother with the spa. This was by far the worst part of the trip. I was late due to a sick child and I was chewed out by the manicurist. She rushed the manicure and it was the worst one I've ever received. They added the tip on even though I didn't think she deserved one. I called the manager several times to reverse that charge and he didn't.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Flashmom10,

Thank you for providing comments about your recent stay. I am delighted that your family had a lovely experience at Skytop. For over 84 years we have tried to maintain a level of casual elegance that provides our guests with a great experience. We have such a variety of activities. I am glad that you got to experience the best of Skytop.

If you would please give me a call I will be happy to discuss your experience with our Spa. I will surely make them aware of this incident. The Spa is an important part of Skytop and I am sure that we will be able to learn from the inappropriate behavior that you experienced.

Again, thank you for providing me with your comments. I hope you have a great spring and summer and hope to see you soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Looking forward to returning ever since my first visit, this classic mountain lodge is perfect for a getaway without traveling far from NYC or Philadelphia. The spring bulbs were beginning to bloom and the woods just beginning to green due to the lack of snow this year. Accomplished my goals to sit and read, take a dip in the indoor pool, and hike the grounds. Our guide on the lake trail was interesting and experienced. The room was immaculate and coffee was available in the lobby in the morning. Pleased with how clean the property is kept for an eighty year old grand dame lodge. Dining room staff was helpful and attentive at every meal - compliments to the maitre d'. The service in the Tap Room downstairs is another story - the first night the server was great. The second night the staff could have cared less and huddled in the corner room talking among themselves - no management oversight. A relaxing stay which I will look forward to again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear njdaveus,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay. Skytop truly is a step back in time and a refreshing getaway from the pressures of “the big city.” It is hard to believe that we had our gardens in bloom so early this year. It is a challenging time for our gardeners but they are making every effort to make our gardens as fresh and creative as possible. I am delighted that you found our meals to be great. I have talked to our Tap Room staff and they do extend an apology to you for their lack of caring service. I will make sure that we stay on top of this.

I hope you have a wonderful year and that we will be able to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

seven valleys, pa
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Let me start by saying that I took my pre-teen son to Skytop for a weekend. We really enjoy spending time outdoors and were looking forward to participating in all the activities they market at the property. Unfortunately, Mother Nature was not on our side and March is considered the "off season." That means no bob sled run, no skiing, no snowshoes, etc. The hotel property and grounds are fabulous. Sure, the rooms could use some updating, but they are roomy and comfortable. Everyone who worked there (except the front desk staff) were extremely cheerful and helpful.

We tried skeet shooting lessons, enjoyed the indoor ice arena a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed hiking around the property. The pool is nice and clean -- but they don't allow minors in the jacuzzi. (Where else but in PA can you shoot guns at the age of 12, but not get into the hot tub?!?)

Food (included in the price of the room) was plentiful and very good. Wait staff was excellent. I was a little disappointed that we were told several times before check in that everyone was expected to dress well (jacket, no jeans, etc.) for the dining room... only to arrive to find that the dress code was "relaxed" for the country-themed weekend. Would have been nice to know to pack differently.

Negatives: we must have been put on the "family" floor (even though my son is close to 13). Parents with unruly children ran rampant and were VERY rude. The hotel is not very sound-proof, so we awoke to potty-training praise every morning at 5 AM. Really! Also, it was not uncommon to see unattended children running unsupervised (even throwing food into the pool!) while their parents sat around drinking together. Other families allowed their kids to bring iPads and video games into the formal dining room for dinner.

I guess if you are a group of parents who think that kind of thing is fun, then by all means, this is the place for you... however those of us who were expecting a more meaningful family experience, it was rather disappointing. We were also dismayed to find that another family used our name and room number to make several charges that showed up on our bill upon checkout. Fortunately, the hotel was able to research and remove the incorrect charges.

Before we left for the weekend, we visited the Adventure Center. That was truly the highlight of the trip. The challenge course takes about two hours to complete and is a lot of fun.

I would love to go back to Skytop again in the summer -- however, I think I'll inquire about other options than the main lodge as they might be quieter.

Room Tip: If you don't have children, ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank andi88
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear andi88,

Thank you so much for providing your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Please allow me to apologize that we did not indicate to you that the weekend of your stay was our country weekend. This is a dress down weekend for our guests. We normally send out an itinerary of activities to our guests so that they can fully enjoy the various activities that we have. Normally during this time of year you can expect to find plenty of snow still left on the ground. This year, as I understand the warmest March ever, precluded many of our wintertime activities. However, I am delighted that you did have a chance to use our swimming pool however, I must tell you that some of the rules and regulations that are imposed on us by the state many times leave me to scratch my head. I am delighted that you found our food service to be excellent. We do have a great dining room and culinary team. On your next stay at Skytop, I would recommend that a cottage room or the Inn might be more appropriate for you and your family. Although these rooms are detached from the main building, they are more quiet while still giving you access to all of the things to do at Skytop. I am sorry for the charging errors that occurred and am glad that they were able to correct them expeditiously. Our new Adventure Center has been a big success with our families this year. I expect this summer that it will be a hit, particularly with rock climbing and paintball as added attractions.

I hope you will give us a call for a return visit. See you soon.

President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
17.5 km away
22.1 km away
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!