“Overcrowded; food is high-end cafeteria at best.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Went over the Presidents' Day weekend.

Pro: (1) Waterpark is fun; lifeguards are extremely attentive and professional; various waterslides are a real thrill. (2) MagicQuest is very well done. Our 6-year-olds had fun.

Con: (1) This place is apallingly overcrowded; and because of the low proportion of seating to guests there is nowhere to sit for the overwhelming majority of people (for instance, to eat a snack or to eat lunch in the waterpark) except on the floor, as if you were in an airport with a lot of flight cancellations. (2) The food is like eating in the cafeteria of a very good hospital, which is to say it's not very good at all, and certainly worse when you consider what they're charging you; it's perfect for the shovel-it-in-to-get-my-money's-worth set (who seem to be the target audience here, from the proportion of obese people we saw). (3) The accommodations are more like an assisted living facility than a hotel; the in-room heating units are loud and drying in-wall units; and the hallways are freezing (maybe 60°F) near the far entry doors (highest- and lowest-numbered rooms on the first floor) because of the cheap HVAC design (small in-wall units there, too) and the cheap door configuration. (4) Younger kids can't sleep because it is extremely loud in the rooms well into the night because the older kids of the shovel-it-in-to-get-my-money's-worth set are running the halls and jumping around in the rooms until 10 or 11 PM.

Let's be honest here: this place is a shameless money suck, and they're not doing a very good job of hiding it. The lack of respect for the guests was conclusively proven to me when some supervisor decided he would interview prospective employees on Presidents' Day not downstairs in HR, but instead by occupying one of the 4 tables outside of the Starbucks and gift shop. That's a full 25% of the total available table seating on the second floor that guy decided to deprive guests of, leaving my family to "picnic" on the floor for lunch. Our eyes met; he didn't appear to give it a second thought. A perfect metaphor for what's wrong with Great Wolf Lodge.

Room Tip: In winter (and I presume summer) stay away from the extreme ends of the first floor (the lowest and...
5  Thank ThePhilly4
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

I am glad to hear that you found the waterpark to be a fun experience and that the lifeguards were attentive and professional. Safety is our number one priority, and this is great to hear. I am sorry, however, to hear about the issues you experienced during your February visit.

Your feedback in regards to food during your stay will be shared with my Director of Food & Beverage. I will also take into consideration the issues you experienced with the accommodations overall.

Please call the lodge directly if you would like to discuss your issues further 570-688-9899.

Best Wishes,
Bill Colavito

Reviewed 21 February 2012

While Great Wolf is a little pricey, I have to say we just had a fantastic getaway! We stayed in the Family Suite (the most inexpensive option) It had 2 full sized beds and a sleeper sofa. It was just fine for our family of 5, but I will say that the sofa bed is REALLY springy and would be completely painful for anyone over 60lbs....ish. Our children ages 17, 9 & 4 all enjoyed themselves here. My teenaged son loved the waterslides & wave pool, the free wi-fi and the arcade (although I'm sure he wouldn't admit that out loud). The younger 2 loved everything from the waterpark, Magicquest, arcade, bowling (a little much at $5 per person, per game), dinner buffet at the Loose Moose, to the clocktower shows that play several times per day. Saturday night there was a dance party and even I had fun with the just dance screen :)

The only negatives here are the price & the overwhelming chlorine saturation at the waterpark......there just isn't enough ventilation. It was so humid and the chemical smell really flared my asthma something awful. I was only able to be in there for a couple of hours at a time, but that really was okay, because there was plenty of other things to do. Also, the waterpark is least crowded first thing in the morning and the last couple of hours in the evening anyway, so it was nice to break up the day. FYI, if you want to sit down at the waterpark at all you will have to get in the line that forms at like 8:30 and go in to save seats or you'll be out of luck 'til after dinner. People are a little crazy with that!

All that said, we had a great time and may stay again in the future. I don't know that this is necessarily worth the retail value, but there sure isn't anything else like it anywhere in a hundred mile radius, that's for sure....and if your upset about how much cash you just spent they have several places on site where you can drink the sadness away. I recommend one of their frozen numbers....I really liked the peach daiquiri with an extra shot of schnapps ;)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

The Great Wolf does a wonderful job, particularly for a one-night overnight. The water park is great, clean, and there is plenty of variety for different ages and preferences. The food at the resort is average, but there are plenty of nearby restaurants to venture to. The hotels rooms are large and well appointed. Have gone twice and would go again.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We called to see if we could make a last minute reservation this morning. There were 3 rooms showing as available online, but when we called to make sure, we were told that there were no rooms available due to an "oversell" situation and the supervisor was in the process of updating the system. We checked back about an hour later, now there was one room showing as available online. Called again, was told there was indeed one room available, and I was put on hold for 10 mins. When the reservationist came back on the line, I was told that the room was booked online by someone while I was holding, and now there were no rooms available! I was very disappointed about this, and their online system does not appear to reflect their true inventory.

3  Thank angelsmom323
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Let me first say that our family has patronized the GWL numerous times. Our first visit was a few years ago at the Williamsburg resort, and since then we have been at the Scotrun resort three times. On each and every visit both resorts have been mobbed, with the Scotrun resort being the worse of the two.

Be aware that this is by no means a budget resort, especially if you pay rack/regular rates. Try to look for internet specials, or get on their email list to receive advanced notice on discounted room rates. The rooms, food, games and/or souvenirs are all VERY expensive. If you visit the park I suggest that you eat outside the resort, and/or bring your own food and dine in your room. No outside food is permitted in the park. Imagine that....LOL!

The rooms and water park are very clean and well kept considering the huge crowds that paronize this resort. As mentioned in previous reviews, you will have a hard time getting to sleep early because of all the hallway noise.

Also be aware that water park lines are very long and that tables and chairs are at a minimum. We entered the water park at 9:00AM sharp, and still could not get the tables we wanted because everyone else was there early too for the same reason. That was VERY irritating!

I have to admit that on all visits my son has had a blast at the resort. Our last visit was for only one night, but my son and his friend remained in the water park from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM without one iota of a complaint. I'm glad this is so because if I ever heard a hint of dissatisfaction from him I would not patronize this resort again.

For me, I can't imagine spending more that 2-3 days at this resort. The crowds and cost would just be too overbearing for our family. I absolutely LOVE water parks, but IMO the GWL is just not worth an extended visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the main lobby, or you will get some good exercise walking to the water p...
12  Thank AKL_HBG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
5.4 km away
5.9 km away
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!