New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Virginia
“Third Stay Here - Still a Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I reviewed this hotel once two years back and have stayed here for a convention in 2010, 2011 and again this year. I decided to write a current review because I personally appreciate recent reviews vs. those from a year or so back because as we all know things can change. I’m glad to say this hotel has remained a great option to downtown Pittsburgh with a very short commute into town on weekends (about 10 minutes). Everything was as you would expect with a Hampton Inn, comfy beds, nice accommodations, mini fridge, microwave and a flat screen TV. The only complaint I had this year was that the price increased from $71.00 (2011) to $111.00 per night (AARP discount). I think that is a steep increase for a one year period. Understandably there were tournaments and St. Patrick’s Day to contend with but we are here the same time every year so I truly have no idea why the price was so inflated. Next year I will look around to see if I can find a lower price somewhere close.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LBiship
ademilio, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
LBiship,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We want to offer a clean and comfortable room, friendly service, and great value to all of our guests. Like most business in the travel industry our rates vary based on demand and availability. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Waukesha, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is an average Hampton Inn. It's clean and updated enough for you to feel comfortable but there's nothing special about it.
The location is excellent for both downtown and airport travel. Being located right off I-376 makes it an easy 15 min. drive to the airport and even less to downtown.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank 06N08
ademilio, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
06N08,
I am glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to see you again!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This Green tree location is nice for visiting Pittsburgh. The check-in gal was exceedingly professional and efficient. The courtesy van driver was also very friendly. He was a genuine good guy, eager to help. The room was small but the furniture made good use of the space. This hotel is right next to highway but it is actually down a steep embankment from highway; so the highway is technically behind and above hotel. So, if you think a room on a higher floor will get you away from the highway, think again. I think we were on the fourth floor and the highway was still above us. We travel with a box fan so we did not hear any road noise. We also did not hear other guests or doors slamming (they were just about at full capacity).

I love the Hampton Inn chain. The beds, pillows and blankets are very soft. Pull out couch is on the small side and not all that comfortable. We would have prefered two queens but there was only a smoking room left. But, then again, we didn't plan all that far in advance.

The breakfast was good. We love oatmeal but this oatmeal was not great and the kiddos would not eat it. But, they love bagels, sausage and waffles so they were pleased.

We had been hoping for an indoor pool and probably would have stayed two nights had there been one but the location was great. If my husband ends up coming to Pittsburgh for more meetings, this will be his home base hotel. It is best to stay at Green Tree, park you car, and let the courtesy driver do the hard work (the road, merges, tunnels, and bridges are really best manuvered by people who are completely familiar because their road system is plain nuts!)

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda A
ademilio, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Linda A,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback. I am glad that you found the van service a valuable asset to your stay. We try to make sure our breakfast has a large selection, so there is something for everyone, but I will pass your comments along to the breakfast staff to improve the oatmeal preparation. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Pittsburgh.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The rating of excellent is based on the hotel type of its peers. Hampton Inn in the Greentree Pittsburgh area is a roadside motel set in a mixed residential and commercial business area. The likely intended use of this facility is a business stay, sports game (Pittsburgh area), college visit or passing through. That being said, the Hampton chain has stayed true to its offerings of a clean, comfortable stay with some little extras that make you feel welcome. The hotel lobby is sort of a small epicenter given the hotel has a few amenities but not overly spacious like an outdoor seasonal pool, small gym (which I used and was clean with decent working equipment), meeting rooms and a business center. The lobby was the place where breakfast is still served to paying patrons each morning and is really enough to cater to any diet liking or appetite, hot and cold, waffles, cereals, etc. Great touches that include a healthy or not so healthy offering of a breakfast bag to go are a nice touch, fresh fruit in a bowl all day and night along with 24 hour coffee and tea just illustrate these little efforts to help you feel welcome. Patrons who stayed in nearby hotels (within 1/4 mile) during my stay were so disappointed that they could not get into the Hampton. Easy to understand why. The afternoons in the lobby is a small happy hour with some cold beer on ice, a warm snack and even a glass of wine which is really a nice welcome addition at around $119 a night. A Business center allow you to print a boarding pass or check emails. If equipped with a mobile device, free wifi (wow what a concept - free) a wonderful and useful touch here given the location and use of this facility for the most part.

The crew and staff during my three night stay were very polite. in fact, beyond polite offering menus for take out, suggestions on area dining, directions, traffic advice, you name it. They should all be commended for their well trained patience and hospitality. I did not see anyone cleaning the rooms but they definitely had a presence in this place. Rooms were spotless clean, bathrooms fresh, even the towels weren't bad at all. Comfortable beds, decent TV, OK soundproof made this business stay ultra tolerable. Water pressue great, bathrooms new and updated, furnishings looked new as well.

As a frequent contributor to Trip Advisor, it is important to recognize a good thing when I see it. If in the Pittsburgh area, skip the expensive hotel with the restaurant and bar, make a reservation to the Hampton and get a clean, comfortable place to lay your head with outstanding service and more amenities than you think for a hotel of this type.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank We3ski
ademilio, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Greentree, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
We3ski,
We know that traveling can take its toll, that is why we try our best to offer clean rooms and friendly service to all of our guests. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we hope to see you again!
Antioch, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I am a huge fan of the Hilton chain hotels but not of this location. I spend 40+ weeks a year in hotels and have never been so unimpressed as here. I stayed here for 3 nights around Thanksgiving and will think twice about returning. Check in was ok, but housekeeping was rude and totally inadequate. Day 1 they tried to make me clean up a spill in the hall way saying there vacuum wouldn't clean it up. When I asked for a broom to do it I got this under the breath off color comment. I was then told a few hours later to clean it up and just walked away only to hear the vacuum cleaning it up moments later. Day 2 housekeeping never showed up. Day 3 housekeeping merely gave me more coffee did not take out trash make bed or bring in linens. I travel to many hotels and sometimes I ask for just coffee and linens but this was not the case. So by the end of my stay there was a large amount of linen and trash in this very tiny room. The only reason I booked here was the dog policy and there were a lot of nice friendly dogs for my guys to visit with. To bad I can't up the quality of the reviewed based on the hotel guests.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Donna G
Donna G,
I am very sorry to hear about your experience over Thanksgiving. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and clean, comfortable rooms to all of our guests. I am sorry that is not what you experienced and I can assure you that it is not a common practice at this property. If you would like to further discuss this incident please contact me at the hotel directly.