“Really Liked It”

La Palapa
Ranked #508 of 2,288 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Spanish
Reviewed 28 September 2017

I recently had a very good meal at La Palapa. The food is authentic, and therefore less salty than Mexican chain restaurant food items. I found it very flavorful. My meal consisted of enchiladas with a mole sauce served with pinto beans and a nice mild tasting rice. I would definitely return to try some of the many other menu items.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Despite some of the negative reviews that I read I still chose to give La Palapa a chance. The chips and guacamole came highly recommended and they lived up to their billing. As an entree I chose the enchiladas. I opted for the chicken, cheese, and mushroom combo with salsa rojo. The sauce was flavorful but I'm still waiting for the flavors of the fillings to make an appearance. I was disappointingly underwhelmed. Honestly I've had more flavorful enchiladas in chain Mexican restaurants. The service was timely and attentive and the restaurant was doing a fairly brisk business for its limited size. i was hoping for more.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We just returned from another wonderful experience at La Palapa. Started with Guacamole and chips, as usual. Fresh and pure goodness. Decided on the lunch special which was a cup of tasty homemade veggie soup followed by a plate of two tacos (barbacoa and chorizo, for me) with two sides plus a luscious homemade watermelon agua fresca. DW had the lengua (beef tongue) which is sourced from Clarion Farms (small producers of grass fed beef). The tongue is slow cooked tender and lean (texture like pot roast) and comes with a rich brown sauce and two sides. Flan for dessert. Whole meal with corkage fee less than $50. Fine, regional house made food like no other. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Just got tacos. Fast service since no other customers at the time. The beef taco was really tough with very little flavor. The other taco wasn't what we ordered but did have more flavor, some kind of pork and potato.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

This place sucks. Service at the front desk was an absolute disaster. Girl should be fired. Server made up for front desk rudeness. Food was mediocre. Don't waste time, energy and money. For heavens sake go somewhere else where the chips and salsa are free. And by the way this place doesn't serve alcohol so if you are looking for a margarita on cinco de mayo or a shot of tequila on game day you are SOL. Did I mention, this place sucks!