“Clean rooms, beautifully updated but breakfast could use more "to-go" items”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 14 December 2016

I stayed at this hotel the night before a job interview. I was a little concerned when I booked it because previous reviews had mentioned the noise from the train, as I was worried it would keep me up at night. In room 311 we could hear the train but it was not loud enough for it to be bothersome to me or keep me from sleeping. The lobby was clean and modern, with a good amount of seating for breakfast. I was hoping to pick up something "to-go" for breakfast that was not messy (e.g. granola bar or banana) but the only things available were some tiny apples or a chocolate muffin. I did not end up eating breakfast. Rooms appeared to be recently renovated with a flat screen TV on a swivel. The "dresser" was a bit odd (3 small drawers) but this was not a problem given that I was only there one night. Also, the only window coverings seemed to be sheers (there were thicker curtains on the side but these only covered about 1/4 of each side of the window). I had an early morning anyway but if you were hoping to have a dark room/sleep in I imagine this might be a problem. There was a small desk with a comfortable desk chair, a fridge and a microwave. The hair dryer was full size and not attached to the wall. Sheets were clean and beds were comfortable. There were many outlets both on the walls and in the lamps around the room for easy charging of electronic devices. Each bed also had 2 led reading lights, which was a nice touch. I had forgotten to bring a lint roller and the front desk was helpful in allowing me to borrow their packing tape to de-fuzz my suit. Parking in a gated surface lot behind the hotel was available and a convenient back door allowed access to the hotel from the parking lot. There was a dominos pizza (with eat in area) on the next corner and we walked a few blocks to the "urban tap" bar in a nearby shopping/eating area. There were a few pretty run down apartments/bars in the area but it seemed relatively safe.

Room Tip: 311 seemed to be a good location for us. We could see the parking lot and the train tracks.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience here with us on TripAdvisor! Thank you for choosing our location! We are located directly in the middle of a bustling city. If you are sensitive to noise, or a light sleeper, please contact us in advance, or provide your request upon check-in; we are always more than happy to accommodate a "quiet side" request. We do have an entire wing of the building that is opposite of the railroad tracks. I am most pleased to hear that you enjoyed the decor of our welcoming lobby. We put a lot of love into our renovations, therefore any and all feedback is most appreciated. I apologize that you only had sheers to cover your windows. If you pull back the sheers slightly, you will see a chain attached to a pulley system, where you can slowly roll down a black-out shade. I am elated you were able to go into great detail regarding the in-room accommodations that we offer. We aim to please all travelers that we host, and ensure to have all details covered. Its the little things that count! Thank you for mentioning our customer service oriented staff, as well as our safe and secure parking. Urban Tab was a great choice! Although, the Southside does offer over 200 bars, restaurants, shops, galleries and venues; all between here at 10th and Carson, continuing the next 19 blocks! All walkable, and within shuttle range! Thank you for your detailed review. We cannot wait to host you again in our fabulous Steel City of Bridges!

Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

At first appearance the hotel looked adequate. Unfortunately the experience here was less than Desirable. If they didn't employ Gladys and John J this hotel would not survive. The housekeeping was terrible. They are well under staffed. The assistant manager Steve was not helpful. We ended up staying only because if Gladys.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2016

Hi Julie M,

Thanks for giving us your feedback. It is regretful that your overall experience was negatively impacted by the level of service you received from a few of our people and housekeeping. Though, I am very pleased to know that both Gladys and John J were able to compensate the unfortunate incident that happened. While I am thankful for them to deliver the true customer service IHG aims for, I will share your comments to our hotel owners for them to communicate with the team to provide additional training to the staff and give recognition to Gladys and John J.

Again, thanks for choosing us and I hope you'll us another chance to make your next visit way better than the last.

Warm Regards,

Danelle A
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

We wanted a hotel close to the street which had the clubs and the pubs and hence we selected this . Walkable distance to all of the bars. The breakfast was just the usual continental and nothing out of the ordinary to mention. One of the dayside stayed the omelette had ham which I did not appreciate as I was an eggeterian. The rooms were decent nothing to complain there . What I did appreciate was that we were running early like 8 hours and they let us take the room at 8 am even though our check in time was at 4 pm . Hence just for this I give them a 4/5 rating . The bathroom was ordinary. Parking cost us like $14 a day . Paid like $300 for room with king size bed . Prices are high most likely due to the location .

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to place your experience here with us on TripAdvisor! I appreciate that you enjoyed our prime location as well as our clean and spacious rooms! I am most pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you with an early check-in at the time of your arrival. Our rates do fluctuate in regards to area events. Please keep us in mind during future travels through our beautiful city!

Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

Close to many sites and good restaurants. However, could use updates and better housekeeping. Carpets barely got a once over on vacuuming. The sparkle from someone's dress was still there after cleaning two times. Lipstick from someone else was still on the frame of the towel shelf. The bathroom floor was not clean when we arrived. It was late when we arrived and we needed to leave immediately or I would have called. However, I doubt it would have been cleaned until the next day. We noticed that repairs were made in the bathroom but they were not skillful done. Blackout blinds could only be completely up or all the way down. Wallpaper was peeling off of the wall under the window.

On the plus side, bed was comfortable, pillows soft and towels fluffy and white. Water was very hot and plentiful. Ask for a window facing the city. There is a nice view from that side.

It was obvious this particular room had been rented out a lot. Hopefully other rooms were in better shape.

The shuttle takes a long time so we had to take an Uber and there weren't even any sporting events going on those days. So plan well ahead or don't count on it at all.

The breakfast offerings were typically HI Express but were not replenished in a timely manner (workers sitting in kitchen talking) and there were no bananas either day. They always need to have bananas.

I would stay there again, because of the location, but if you choose to stay there, know that you may have to settle with the hotel's need for some upgrades.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank CityintheCindy
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2016

Dear CityCindy,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to shortfalls on our housekeeping service. We always strive to provide our guests with comfortable accommodations and we regret that we did not meet some of your expectations. Rest assured that we will continuously do our best to always improve so we can accommodate you better in the future. I do hope that you will allow us to welcome you back and give us another opportunity to make it up to you.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 6 November 2016

Affordable choice in a good location for a family! Nice,clean, hotel with secured, easy-access parking lot, great breakfast, friendly staff, and perfect shuttle service to everything downtown..... we will definitely return!

Room Tip: We chose a king bed style room..... It was huge!
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Gladys B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pittsburgh-South Side, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Wow, Five Stars!! Thank you for taking the time to place your experience with us here on TripAdvisor! I am elated to hear that you found use of our prime location as well as overall value. I am most pleased that you enjoyed our staff, breakfast and shuttle service. We will await your return!