“Fantastic place”

Carnegie Museum of Art
Ranked #21 of 149 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At CMOA, we believe creativity is a defining human characteristic to which everyone should have access. CMOA collects, preserves, and presents artworks from around the world to inspire, sustain, and provoke discussion, and to engage and reflect multiple audiences.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 November 2017

This museum is a fantastic place to visit. The pieces of art are displayed really well. We were lucky to get a partially guided tour, just of the highlights but we went back to spend more time in the various galleries. We started in the Teenie Harris area that showcased this Pittsburgh native photos. Magnificent. There are quite a number of real masterpieces here. Many of the items came from an original purchase from an exhibit held in the 1890s. Many of the old masters are represented, as well as some more modern pieces, including the Walking Man sculpture. Once you finish here, visit the hall of Architecture, with its life size recasts of some old world buildings, a true feat. Also there is the hall of sculpture. Don't miss any of it.

All reviews
in 33 reviews
"louvre"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 29 October 2017

This is a place that any age would love to visit. It is a great learning experience for everyone. Do not leave Pittsburgh without visiting here.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

During a recent visit to Pittsburgh I decided to take in the local Art Museum. As a Monet fan I was looking for his paintings and other items of interest. This museum has one of his waterlily paintings and the museum has a well placed bench for viewing it at length. Kudos to them for this! In reviewing other items on their diagram I found other things I wanted to see including the items in the picture which accomapanies the museum and other galleries. Finding exactly how to get from where I was to where I wanted to go proved a challenge, thus I think the museum could do a better job of showing where you are and how to get to other major exhibits on room diagrams or on the museum layout provided to guests. I did find the statuary very interesting - they are all replicas of originals. The museum alos contains a lot of modern art if that is your thing. It also adjoins the natural history museum which contains a terrific exhibit on gems and minerals. It has won awards and for me that was easy to see why. I thought it was great!

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Excellent museum. It is connected by an ornate stairwell with the natural history so I enjoyed going floor to floor of each. Excellent collections in the galleries, I didn't have enough time. But the highlight is the room of plaster casts. Life sized casts of bits of the ancient world, some of which didn't survive the wars. Even the V and A in London isn't as good.