“Sunday at the musuem”

Carnegie Museum of Art
Ranked #19 of 147 things to do in Pittsburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At CMOA, we believe creativity is a defining human characteristic to which everyone should have access. CMOA collects, preserves, and presents artworks from around the world to inspire, sustain, and provoke discussion, and to engage and reflect multiple audiences.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I love visiting art museums when I travel, and was not disappointed by the collection. I went on one of their free Sunday events. My favorite was how the layout of the art rooms were by time period, and the dominant art technique of that time, such as impressionism or realism. Would definitely visit again to explore more.

All reviews
"exhibits"
in 71 reviews
"louvre"

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Parking is paid hourly, a lot and adjoining structure were nearly full at noon. We began by having lunch in the cafe. We choose to sit outside on the patio, which faces a busy street, so traffic might be a bit noisy. There is a nice fountain between you and there, the view is interesting watching it all go past. We ordered wine, she had a Rose, I had an a Oregon Pinot Noir. Both were good. She ordered a chicken salad, and I got the Club Sandwich. The salad was really small and came with dark meat. Never have had that preparation in a salad before an the sacristy of the meat was very notable. Giving it an F, no flavor in dressing. My harshest review ever of a meal. I had a pretty good club with ham, turkey and bacon. French fries included. She ended up eating some of mine. The Museum itself is a wonderful experience. The collection covers many things, of course. Egyptian to Modern, Impersonation to Ancient, art, sculpture, Decco from the 30's, in several spaces around differing sections in the museum. The gift shop was a little short on postcards of the various pieces, but NO FLASH photography is allowed here, a saving grace. The staff we encountered were extremely helpful and we joined an already in progress Docent tour which was pretty amazing in the knowledge imparted to us. Spent four hours here and did not finish. A reason to return.

1  Thank I6181ENjamesw
Reviewed 21 September 2017

One of the best museums I have ever been to. Don't miss it! The Gem room is a wonderland! So many wonderful treasures.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Nice artwork and building for the Museum of Art. Entry fee also includes the Museum of Natural History - which I preferred. There is a Carnegie International exhibit which takes place every 3 years. It is interesting to see which pieces have been exhibited in it - and when.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We chose to come to Pittsburgh on a whim for an extended weekend and found treasure after treasure in the city. At the top of this list of treasures are the Carnegie Museums. the art museum was both the biggest surprise and our longest engagement. The collection includes a full panel "Water Lillies" is expansive. The museum itself is easy to navigate and visitor friendly. We also spent way too much money in their excellent gift shop. Thank you for a great day. We will come back again.