Open today: 09:30 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Christmas lights

This place is absolutely gorgeous, it is a must-see for Christmas. I can't wait to visit it again... read more

Reviewed today
jalisa
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Beautiful and Uniquely Green

This is a place that you have to experience because it is beyond words. If you love to walk in... read more

Reviewed yesterday
drjg2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Recommended experiences in and around Pittsburgh
from US$99.00
More Info
from US$80.00
More Info
2,928 results
All reviews orchid room plants and flowers flower show chihuly glass japanese garden children's garden seasonal displays christmas lights light show tropical forest beautiful place to visit holiday season train display schenley park gift shop favorite places spend an afternoon
Reviewed 9 September 2007

If you like gardens, don't miss this place. It was truly a beautiful trip. The glass sculptures were simply stunning. Don't skip it if it is a rainy day. A lot of the gardens are in the Conservatory and you won't get rained upon. The cafe is also very nice and vegetarian friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch there. It as a perfect outing!!!

3  Thank happytraveler49
Reviewed 26 August 2007

After a taste of Dale Chihuly's art at the Franklin Conservatory in Columbus in 2006, we were excited about coming to Phipps. Additionally friends had been to the exhibit earlier and shared with us a dvd they'd purchased; it showed Chihuly and his team work and then install pieces at Chicago's conservatory in 2002. That background multiplied the "Wow!" factor of this extraordinary exhibit. A variety of dvds are available for purchase and also notecards (12/$16) featuring the Phipps installations. If you go before Sept. 18, you can extend your pleasure with a tour of the
"Viva Vetro! Glass Alive! Venice and America" exhibit at Carnegie Museum of Art, which is just a short walk from Phipps.

2  Thank BEREABONVIVANT
Reviewed 30 July 2007

The garden is a wonderful place to visit and the icing on the cake is the Chihuly exhibit. At every turn, it is a feast for the eyes.
Bring you camera, even though you can do justice with a snapshot.
It is too bad that the Phipps did not publish a book of the exhitit and the postcards had not arrived as of 7/29/07.
It will be viewable until November and may be extend (worth checking if you will be visiting in 2008 and after).
A great way to spend an afternoon.

1  Thank zaxes
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We visited Pittsburgh in July 2007 specifically to go here and see the Chihully exhibit, which will be here til November. It did not disappoint, it was magnificent! It is located in the Oakland section of town near the University of Pittsburgh, (don't miss the nationality rooms here) and Carnegie Mellon University. We loved Pittsburgh, everyone is so friendly!

3  Thank traveler5nj
Reviewed 5 July 2007

While researching our vacation, I had found that there would be a Chihuly display at the conservatory during our visit. Dale Chihuly is a world renowned glass artist based in Washington. I was so excited since I hadn’t been able to make the exhibit at the New York Botanical Gardens last year. The conservatory itself is a beautiful building located near Carnegie Mellon University. It is surrounded by lovely park like grounds. The conservatory is divided into many different sections mostly inside with a bit of area outside. There were many Chihuly pieces throughout the gardens both on ground and suspended . It was absolutely breathtaking and mesmerizing. The integration of the glass with the plants was amazing. I couldn’t stop taking pictures. We had reserved a 9:30 slot ahead of time which coincided with their opening time. I was able to borrow a wheelchair for my mom by leaving my driver’s license. This worked out great since there was a great deal of walking. We ended up being the first ones in which was worked out well since we could view the pieces without people in view to distract us from the artwork. I would highly recommend going first thing in the morning. There is also a night display which I regret not having seen. I know the Chihuly at The Bushnell in Hartford, CT takes on a whole new appearance when lit from above at night. Don’t miss this if you’re in the Pittsburgh area. It was a very peaceful experience to be surrounded with such beauty. Even the teenage girls that were with us really were impressed and amazed. I believe the exhibit goes through Novemeber 2007. Even if the exhibit is no longer there during your visit, I think it would still be a nice peaceful place to visit. I do wish there were tour guides for the visit. There was a handout about the Chihuly pieces but we were not given it and I found it after we completed our visit. Ask for this ahead of time if you go.

After we spent a couple of hours viewing everything we had lunch on site. They offer a variety of gourmet sandwiches and salads which were really very good and reasonably priced.

8  Thank jeffysgirl