“Great happy hour pricing & good mexican food!”
Review of Tres Rios

Tres Rios
Ranked #379 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Did not expect to find good mexican food in pittsburgh, particularly so late at night (friday at 9:30pm). But we did! Appreciated the happy hour drink specials (guess they had a late happy hour), and my tacos were excellent. Guac was pretty good too...

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Tres Rios gets better every time we visit. Tried the Shrimp Ceviche, perhaps the best I ever had! Generous portion with a lot of shrimp. Last time the Chicken Fajitas were outstanding. Sat at the bar, Meli & Tino could not have been better!

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The taco shells are homemade and delicious. Lots to choose from and really good food. We ate the barbacoa lamb tacos, carne asada tacos, and the patio duck fajitas. Amazing!

Reviewed 22 May 2017

We stopped in for appetizers and drinks on a Saturday afternoon. Tino was working the bar and was very pleasant. We ended up discussing the best beaches in Mexico by the end of our visit.

There is a nice selection of Mexican beer and tequila. We had the beef empanadas, of which my husband is now obsessed. The salsas in the salsa trio were inventive and tasty. We wIll return for a full experience.

I must note that Tino did an excellent job for dealing with about 10-12 loud hipsters who came in for shots of Patron but requested separate tabs!

Reviewed 13 May 2017

I was staying in Pittsburgh and craving some interesting tacos, outside of the usual ground beef or chicken. Tako (my next review) looked like it was all packed up as usual so decided to check out Tres Rios in the South Side area. So glad I did! The reception there was very warm and the atmosphere, while stylish/hip, was still very cozy and chill. They have a fantastic tequila selection so I sat at the bar and went for some of their margaritas. I like to get one for each taco so I tried the Elderflower Rosemary (tasty), the Winter Pear (yum!) and the Spicy Passionfruit with charred jalapeno. Delicious and a bit of a kick!

While the person sitting next to me at the bar recommended the Pork Belly Tacos, sounding decadent enough, I decided to go with the Pato Tacos. These consisted of braised (citrus/pepper) duck leg meat, mango salsa, jicama slaw and spiced crema. Yum! The duck meat was tender and the richness was cut nicely by the citrus and the crunch of the jicama slaw. The homemade corn tortillas they use are very interesting because they are halfway between crunchy and soft. They have a bit of a crunch but are pliable so have a nice mouthfeel without coming apart or getting soggy. Very well done concept!

The margaritas were delicious and some of them have a nice spicy kick that works well with the food. The duck tacos were very tasty and had a great texture with the crispy, yet pliable, homemade corn tortillas. You get 3 tacos per order, but I would love to be able to pick 3 different tacos to mix it up a bit. It didn't seem to be an option but I didn't ask either.

Great place to chill, have some terrific food and drinks along with great conversations. A warm and welcoming atmosphere with just enough hip to be cool, and just enough low lighting and friendliness to be chill.