“A Wonderful Addition to Pittsburgh”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pirata Caribbean Cuisine x Rum Bar
Ranked #352 of 2,210 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We stopped in on a lark to find a real gem in Pirata. Matt and the team at the bar were knowledgeable, friendly, and engaging. We ordered a Pinot Grigio and local IPA. Both quite good. We then ordered the Cubano and Skirt Steak sandwiches. Both were plentiful and delicious. Loaded with great spices. The place has a really cozy vibe to it, and I'm sure on the weekends it is alive and bustling. We plan to come back soon. Liked everything about it!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Excellent Arroz con Pollo and sweet plantains. Menu has changed since the last time I was there and they've added quite a few new dishes that are very popular in Puerto Rico.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

We received a gift card for dinner here. The atmosphere is fun. Keeping with the Caribbean pirate theme, the Johnny Depp movie was playing on all the TV screens.

The menu is Caribbean-style fare. I had jerk chicken tacos. Super hot. My tongue burned and I neexed a lot of water. But they had many layers of flavor and I loved them.

They have dozens of rum from around tbe world and I tried a 3-rum flight. Very nice.

My wife is sensitive to spices and didn't fare as well. Everything was too hot for her. She yried the fish sandwich but had to send it back. Then she tried the grouper, which wad supposed to be mild, but was way oversalted, and that went back too.

Howver, tbe manager and server were very courteous and helpful. They took her meal off the check and apologized several times.

The place is pricey, but not unreasonably so. It's well worth what you pay.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

Happened upon this place, while looking for something new. We shared a Ropa Vija, which is translated as "Old Clothes" but is actually a flank steak cooked slow and then pulled. I have eaten Ropa in Cuba, in Miami and in New York and and this was very good. And there was enough for 2, if you share a salad.
We would go back.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

We went there the other day
We had there special
Said it was Empanada Day
So we got the 4 Empanadas
1 chicken, 1 beef, 1 vegetable & 1 Jamaican
They were very good. Husband loved all 4. I just like the beef
But it's a good place to stop & try them all