“Room was nice; parking is highway robbery”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed here in December for a friend's wedding. It was convenient, as the reception was in the hotel. We booked a King room under the wedding guest rate. That was already expensive enough, but then there was a $20 parking charge for our stay. We were at this hotel for about 16 hours total...really? For a $149 a night room, parking cannot be included?

Meanwhile, my friend had left goody bags for all of the wedding guests staying at the hotel, and the staff didn't give me one when I checked in. It had snacks and other things that I would have appreciated and didn't get until another friend told me about it during the reception. I went to ask and at 10pm, I was given the bag. NOT good service.

Overall, the room was nice, but overpriced, and I wasn't exactly pleased with the service or the high cost of parking. Watching the attendants speed through a tiny garage at 40mph in my car and cut the turns on 2 wheels wasn't exactly comforting either. But for the convenience factor of staying in the same place where the reception was, we probably would not stay here again, or recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Pittsburgh Downtown. I am disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide the highest quality in service and I would like the opportunity to hear the areas in which you think we could improve. If you wish to provide further feedback, please contact me directly at smasullo@doubletreepgh.com. However,I am glad to hear that you enjoyed and were comfortable with your room.

Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown

Reviewed 1 December 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree in Downtown Pittsburgh in April of 2011. I chose the Doubletree due to its relatively low cost when considering its location and quality of rooms. The Doubletree was in a very good location, centrally located downtown within walking distance of many of Downtown Pittsburgh's main attractions and activities. The hotel offers valet parking (not sure of the cost, there was no additional charge on top of the standard parking fee) which is always nice in any downtown location where parking can be a hassle. The front desk staff was very helpful, and check in was quick and easy. The room was very nice. It contained 2 queen-sized beds with down comforters and down pillows. It made for a very comfortable nights rest. The room also had a mini bar, coffee machine, large flat-screen TV, complimentary Wi-Fi, and a nice work station with a large desk and swivel chair. The bathroom was very nice as well, and the fact that they provided toilet paper that was not single-ply was a huge plus in my eyes.

On the negative side, I did notice that the thermostat in my room only seemed to regulate the temperature on one side of the room, so the room was a bit warm for my liking. Also, the hotel is not located conveniently for those looking to explore the nightlife. However, the bars were only a short cab ride away for which the fares did not exceed $10.

Room Tip: Free cookies at the front desk.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shane D
smasullo, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Thank you for taking your time to write a review of our property on Trip Advisor. We take pride in providing outstanding service and comfortable accommodations. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I booked my trip to downtown Pittsburgh staying at the Double Tree Hotel. I booked the hotel on Priceline and received a very good deal. The hotel was in a pretty good location, walking distance to PNC park and other downtown attractions. The shuttle only ran until 11pm which was a bit early for my standards. Downtown Pittsburgh has a great nightlife and I would recommend this hotel to others. Don't forget to ask for the cookies at the front desk. They are GREAT.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and, as you mentioned, always are excited to hand out our famous, warm cookies at the front desk!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed here for two nights during Light Up Night. Convenient to all activities. Comfortable room, good breakfast and nice size pool for swimming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Room and hotel was nice but wifi being down for more than half of the time we were staying at the hotel really inconvenienced us as we needed to work from the room and needed to scramble for other locations which was very inconvenient.

• Stayed: October 2011