“Different and Delicious!”

It's Just Barbecue
Ranked #8 of 17 Restaurants in Orwigsburg
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 8 April 2015

I had been wanting to try this place for awhile. It was recommended by friends as being a unique BBQ place with a southern style menu in southern schuylkill county. Today, I made it through the doors.

The appearance is deceiving. From the outside, it sits in a 1970's style small commercial building (the precursor to strip malls). However, it was easy to find where to go with the 8 foot pig in front of the building!

Once inside, the restaurant appeared to have a bustling takeout business with eat in dining available. I was unfamiliar with the service so I ordered at the counter. The tables are picnic tables and benches, with cloth over each table. It reminded me a little of sitting in a shcuylkill county farmhouse from times gone by. Little knick knacks in the window along with the other decor made it feel like home.

The waitress/clerk was very pleasant and gave me detailed information on the dishes. I tried the half rack of ribs with corn bread, and two sides. The sides I chose were cole slaw and cinnamon apples. The platter was ready within a minute or two.

Just a side note - I was told that they were almost done with the ribs for today, only having about a rack and a half left. In addition, they offer some wonderful specials but they have limited supplies. Although I would be disappointed to find out that my favorite dish was no longer available that day, it's better than them reheating the ones that didn't sell for the next day! That makes me feel a little better that the food I get is fresh.

Now onto the ribs!!!

I was told that the ribs are smoked with hardwood pellets; no particular mix or heavy hickory or mesquite. I usually prefer the hickory smoked meats but I would keep an open mind. Im glad I did. The meat did have your typical smoke ring. However, each bite was just the taste of the meat and the seasonings! There was no overpowering taste.

They glazed the ribs with their home made standard BBQ sauce. The sauce complimented the blend of spices on the ribs.

What stood out to me most about the ribs were how juicy they were. I was able to easily chew each bite to the point that I did not require any extra sauce. The juices were not grease but seemed to be a mixture of the marinade and the juice from the meat. Absolutely tasty!!!

I tried a little bit of the standard sauce at the end. Not being baked. like the same sauce on the ribs, it had a slightly different flavor. It was bold without being too spicy. I prefer more of a sweeter memphis style sauce but this was very good to go with these ribs.

The cole slaw was large pieces of cabbage and the other ingredients mixed with a tangy sauce. It was an excellent choice to go along with the ribs.

I was unable to eat the cornbread or the apples while I was there. My eyes were bigger than my stomach today! We were able to bag everything up for the ride home.

My overall observations - I was impressed with the ribs! Absolutely delicious. They offer unique specials (i'm waiting for a saturday off to get their smoked prime rib special). They definitely have a strong take out service.

I cannot rate table service since I ordered from the front and took everything back. However, the clerk was very friendly and was helpful.

My final thought is this; if this restaurant was in Fishtown or Society Hill in Philly, everyone would have heard of it and there'd be lines out the door. For the people of Schuylkill and Berks counties (along with the other adjacent counties), this is a great place to check out some down to earth BBQ.

Reviewed 6 April 2015

We stopped a few times over 3 years and have increasingly been disappointed. Our LAST time was ordering BBQ and the waitress said, it will be a little bit, I need to get more out of the freezer. I'm not sure what days they actually BBQ, but it sure wasn't that Saturday. It has small seating and we always got take-out. I'd never stop again.

Reviewed 2 December 2014

I have family that drives 2 hrs on Mothers Day to come see me...but they all call ahead and ask one question. Will you get the pulled pork? The wings are like nothing I've ever had. My husband and I can't order ribs anywhere else because non compare to theirs. Oh and may I say the baked potatoes? The BEST They have tables there,but we do take out. If you want wings on Sunday......call ahead or you'll be out of luck.

1  Thank DeePoz
Reviewed 29 September 2014

BBQ was dry and had no sauce, it was expensive for the amount in my opinion. I have had way better. I was disappointed and will probably not eat here again.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

The bbq is good the sides leave something to desire. We stopped on a road trip and it was better then fast food. It's worth the stop but nothing amazing. Plus the place is over run with flys.